crossover/amps

hi got bass bins and mid/top cabs and thinking of using an active crossover but what power should each amp be to power each cab???

That entirely depends on what equipment you have. If you can post the make/model of what speakers(?) you've got, we can give much more helpful information.

I would also suggest using correct capitalization and punctuation to make your post easier to understand.

hi got bass bins and mid/top cabs and thinking of using an active crossover but what power should each amp be to power each cab???
all i can tell u is the bass cabs are old peavey hi sys and the tops are unknown, at the moment we run a 400+400 amp into the bass cabs and then a passive crossover into the tops, sorry i cant supply any more info:(
Answering your question would require knowing about the application as well as the specific amps and speakers involved, without that information there really is no way to offer an answer.

Just for your reference, there were multiple HiSys subwoofer models; the 112XT, 115XT and 118XT. I cannot find specifications for any of them but according to this, http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/rm8000182-2.pdf, bypassing the internal low pass filter for biamp operation requires opening up the speaker and moving a jumper on the crossover circuit board.

Quite frankly, without knowing a lot more about the speakers, and from that the proper amplification and crossover settings, going biamped may represent more potential risk than potential benefit.

If you can't supply more info then we cannot answer your question. Maybe you can access the speaker components themselves. Many times the power rating will be stamped onto the magnet.
Which tells you the rating of the driver, but not of that driver in that enclosure with an internal crossover or other internal circuitry, etc. You'd also need to know the impedance of the speaker as a unit. And ideally the envisioned use and system operators.

What concerns me is that the the subs have an integrated crossover that they have apparently been using and changing from that mode of system operation to biamp operation with a dedicated crossover usually relates to trying to get some improvement from the system. Some people seem to believe that such a change will inherently result in some significant improvement, however that is not true. In this case it is not only not clear what improvements are hoping to be obtained but without knowing the speakers involved or their specifications and performance, it is also not clear how one could select amps, adjust crossover settings, etc. to achieve some desired improvement, much less to avoid lesser results or even damaging something .

hi just found out the hy sys bass units contain skytronic models 902439 15" speakers, im sure these are dj speakers correct me if im wrong.

We're just not happy with clarity in our system, the bass units seem very quiet and when a signal sent to them can seem boxy and no real thud, maybe thats my eq settings i dont really know :(

Something like that won't be fixed by bi-amping, the real treat to bi-amping IMO is the ability to add that final layer of power and clarity in a large array. Sounds like you may have an issue with your sub cabinet, you shouldn't be using enough EQ to make it sound that far off.

hi just found out the hy sys bass units contain skytronic models 902439 15" speakers, im sure these are dj speakers correct me if im wrong.

We're just not happy with clarity in our system, the bass units seem very quiet and when a signal sent to them can seem boxy and no real thud, maybe thats my eq settings i dont really know :(

If the Skytronic is in a Peavey enclosure, chances are the box isn't tuned for the driver and that causes poor performance. Woofers rely on the volume of air in the box, and the port tuning, to act as a properly damped "spring" for the motion of the cone. The woofer will perform properly with a box within a limited range of cubic volume. The diameter of the port and the depth of the tube behind it are also part of the tuning. The interaction affects everything about how it'll sound. Even the best woofer will sound bad if it isn't in an enclosure designed for it.

Last edited:
A little Googling reveals that's an automotive speaker. It isn't designed for the application.

If that's the case I wouldn't expect them to be able to sound better than what you have now.

AVSL Group : Product : 902.430UK

Thiele-Small parameters can be found at http://avslgroup.com/cdn/downloads/thielesmall_902127.pdf

15" driver with a 3" Kapton voice coil, 8 Ohm, 300W continuous. Skytronics/Skytec speakers seem to have a reputation for being relatively cheap and having quality control issues, but also for being a decent value. However, I seriously doubt that those are the original drivers for those boxes and have to wonder if they were selected as replacements for the original drivers after careful consideration of all the factors involved or simply because they were an inexpensive 15" driver that fit.

It could be the EQ settings but it is more likely a result of the drivers being a poor match for the box and/or the subs in general for the mains. Not only do the mains and subs form a system that need to work together properly in order to be effective but the subs themselves are a system with the driver having to work properly with the other elements of that system in order to be efficient and effective. People often have to take a less than ideal approach due to budget, product availability and so on, however when you throw any old driver in an subwoofer enclosure and then match that with a random main, the chances of less than desired results are fairly high.

Biamping may be a good idea in many situations but with what you apparently currently have it may be a bit like the Mythbusters episode that was on last night, the one where they tried to polish a turd. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back