Crown CE2000 Hum

Hey everyone.

I recently bought a used Crown CE2000 that seemed to work great upon testing, but eventually developed a 60hz hum. The hum exists without any input connections made, and thus the input pots on the front have no effect (the hum is always there so long as the power is on). I've been happy with my other CE series amps, so does anyone have any insights?

Thanks,
Brooks

Check the grounding lug inside. I recall the grounding lug was loose and would cause all sorts of symptoms. I do believe it was the CE 1000 and CE 2000 amps' fatal flaw.

Thanks for the advice guys. I did try the amp in several buildings, and unfortunately had the same problem in all places. Good idea though.

Eboy87, where is the grounding lug in the amp? Is it right at the IEC connector where the power enters the chassis?

Thanks,
Brooks

Um, I don't remember. There's one back at the theatre that needs work, but I'm not going to be back there until tomorrow morning. I'll see if I can open it up and take a look. I know it's a decent sized bolt I believe is attached to the PCB. It'll have a thick green wire coming from it. I'll let you know more tomorrow.

Also, search over at ProsoundWeb, there are a few threads dealing with this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back