Cue Light Systems

danTt

Premium Member
Hello,

I'm starting to look into replacing the cue light system in one of the venues I work in. Currently it's run on a pair of creatively modified 3x multi cables, using the grounds as hots/neutrals to achieve a total of 8 cue lights, which then breaks out into zip cord of variously scary lengths. The run for these varies from 150-250 feet, depending on where on stage the lights need to end up.

It seems to me it wouldn't be difficult to separate the power and data in a cue light system, which would allow me to run one cat5 or even dmx line from the booth to a distro on stage, which would then power the lights. All the systems I've found though power LED's, and I'd love to be able to use incandescent bulbs or rope light for the cues, rather than rely on small LED's. Does anyone know of such a system? It would need to be semi-portable, as the venue is rented for the summer and everything needs to be loaded in/struck each year. If there is nothing predesigned, how difficult would this be to homebrew? It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult, but keeping it future proof and maintainable scares me.

Thanks,

There is the modern LED systems that daisy chain... but you are right, they are not as bright as traditional "baskets". There is one other easy option out there, DJ dimmer packs and a cheap lighting console. All of which could be purchases for a few hundred bucks. Beats the hell out of the huge looms many places use to get the cue lights out to the tech table.

Well I don't know if this is what you're after, but Motion Labs makes a switchable distro that's becoming more of the norm for running cue lights/work lights on Broadway and tours. It's essentially a 120V distro with cam inputs and 24-72 20A 2P&G outputs, and a controller box that resembles a large chain hoist remote that connects to the distro with a cable. The remote sits at the SM console, and when she throws the switches, it turns the individual outputs on the distro on or off. There's also the ability to turn on multiple lights in groups with a master switch. The large remote is rather cumbersome for a stage manager's console, but they also make a rack-mount switch unit that most show try to get. It works really well, and it keeps you from needing to run tons of cable to switch boxes at the SM console and makes it very easy to move the remote.

A brief look at Motion Labs website didn't turn anything up, but if you're interested, you could call up Motion Labs directly and get the specs. Since you said this is a rental, PRG Secaucus sends out a bunch of these, so talk to your rep if you rent from there, or let me know and I can call up and find out. Hope that helps!

Well I don't know if this is what you're after, but Motion Labs makes a switchable distro that's becoming more of the norm for running cue lights/work lights on Broadway and tours. It's essentially a 120V distro with cam inputs and 24-72 20A 2P&G outputs, and a controller box that resembles a large chain hoist remote that connects to the distro with a cable. The remote sits at the SM console, and when she throws the switches, it turns the individual outputs on the distro on or off. There's also the ability to turn on multiple lights in groups with a master switch. The large remote is rather cumbersome for a stage manager's console, but they also make a rack-mount switch unit that most show try to get. It works really well, and it keeps you from needing to run tons of cable to switch boxes at the SM console and makes it very easy to move the remote.

A brief look at Motion Labs website didn't turn anything up, but if you're interested, you could call up Motion Labs directly and get the specs. Since you said this is a rental, PRG Secaucus sends out a bunch of these, so talk to your rep if you rent from there, or let me know and I can call up and find out. Hope that helps!

This is along the lines of what I'm looking for, but much bigger than what I need. This cue light system only needs to run 8-10 lights at most, and would probably be a purchase for a summer theater. I might investigate if they have smaller versions, because it is along the lines of what I want. What's the cable connecting them look like? Is it similar to their motor pd cables? Is it repairable?

This is along the lines of what I'm looking for, but much bigger than what I need. This cue light system only needs to run 8-10 lights at most, and would probably be a purchase for a summer theater. I might investigate if they have smaller versions, because it is along the lines of what I want. What's the cable connecting them look like? Is it similar to their motor pd cables? Is it repairable?

The cable visually resembles their motor controller cables, but I can't tell you the pinout or anything. If I recall correctly, the cable was permanently connected to the remote similar to their motor controllers, but it may be removable. I've only ever seen/used these as PRG rental gear, so I don't know if they make smaller versions than 24-way. I'd definitely give Motion Labs a call to see what they have available. They do a lot of custom work, and even if they don't make a 12-way, it might not be prohibitively expensive to have them build you one.

Last edited:
I just installed my GAM cue light system and I am pretty happy with it. I wish the controller box had more heft to it so you could switch the switches without having to hold onto it.

proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
GAM Go-Lite because it uses 6 wire telephone cable, which is much cheaper than even the worst microphone cable, and very easy to terminate to custom lengths.

True, but CAT5 (RJ45 8P8C) cable is more ubiquitous, and allows for more circuits. I wonder why GAM decided on the RJ12 6P6C ?

Perhaps, just like 5pin DMX, it was solely to distinguish itself from other uses, and dam the cost/convenience to the end user.:evil:

True, but CAT5 (RJ45 8P8C) cable is more ubiquitous, and allows for more circuits. I wonder why GAM decided on the RJ12 6P6C ?

Perhaps, just like 5pin DMX, it was solely to distinguish itself from other uses, and dam the cost/convenience to the end user.:evil:

That what I said to them at USITT! But they insisted they wanted a cable that was cheap and available at every Walmart and Target.

That what I said to them at USITT! But they insisted they wanted a cable that was cheap and available at every Walmart and Target.

Cat5 is generally available more widely but tends to be more expensive for the same length than 6 core (at least down here)

We also tend to find a lot of them might be 6 position connectors but not a lot are wired with all 6 cores...

The solution of course if to install 8P8C sockets and just use the centre 6 connections and then you can use either...

All of the LED/modular systems are great if your in a black box or cueing the rail etc. However, they are not going to work for deck shifts in a large venue. Its common to have 2-3 different baskets on each side of stage, hanging at least 20' off deck from service truss. They have to be bright enough to compete with full stage lighting and be seen from 60' away. None of the LED systems do that. They also have to be able to be seen when they are not on. Also, not something the LED systems do well. Don't get me wrong, the LED systems are great, but they are not perfect. The GDS system is the only thing that comes close in my opinion:
proxy.php

Hello,

I'm starting to look into replacing the cue light system in one of the venues I work in. Currently it's run on a pair of creatively modified 3x multi cables, using the grounds as hots/neutrals to achieve a total of 8 cue lights, which then breaks out into zip cord of variously scary lengths. The run for these varies from 150-250 feet, depending on where on stage the lights need to end up.

It seems to me it wouldn't be difficult to separate the power and data in a cue light system, which would allow me to run one cat5 or even dmx line from the booth to a distro on stage, which would then power the lights. All the systems I've found though power LED's, and I'd love to be able to use incandescent bulbs or rope light for the cues, rather than rely on small LED's. Does anyone know of such a system? It would need to be semi-portable, as the venue is rented for the summer and everything needs to be loaded in/struck each year. If there is nothing predesigned, how difficult would this be to homebrew? It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult, but keeping it future proof and maintainable scares me.

Thanks,

If you are interested in making your own, you could google Carl's kits, and look at the VEK8023 10 channel remote control. It will trigger 10 circuits, and can run down zipcord, phone wire or audio cable. It will require soldering, but the instructions are terrific.
It will trigger LEDs direct, but if you want higher current devices to be triggered, you will need relays. There are kits for adding on relays to the remote control board. K6714 (8 relays) or K6714-16 (16 relays).
You can find inexpensive cases, power supplies and switches, to finish out the project at mpja.com. You will also find many LED options at the same sight for very little money. At Carl's Kits, you can download the pdf instructions to see if it is something that you would feel comfortable doing.

I have built several systems using these parts. The kits are actually manufactured in Belgium by Velleman and are first rate quality.

Tom Johnson
Florida's Most Honored Community Theatre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back