Cue Light Systems

i think he meant "held up" not "helps up" and while it my be fine for a school or community theatre, I still have reservations about reliability over a long period in a professional or even semi-professional setting.

I don't see why software on mobile devices would be preferred in any permament performance space for reasons Bill has previously stated, but I could see it as a very handy tool for staging a performance in a space that isn't usually a performace space.

The Android pricing of StageCue seems great for a volunteer group where individuals provide their own devices (why is iOS version 2.5x the price?).

No idea what you are saying? It works and loads very fast!
I'm sure it does when WiFi is up, and no other apps are running. We've all had WiFi failures at random times for seemingly no reason though and that's what I'd be worried about. One of the most famous examples is the 2010 Apple keynote by Steve Jobs when his phone wouldn't connect to WiFi, while he was on stage.

This is what has become the standard on most every off-Broadway show, and even some of the smaller Broadway gigs I have seen recently as far as cue lights go -- the American DJ PC-100A. http://www.adj.com/pc-100a

It's stupid cheap, and works just fine.
I would imagine that type of system only flies if it's taken down after every show though as Broadway does, and not a permanent system for a venue. There's a local theatre that had to remove a very similar system to that, since it's 120V run over temporary power cables.

Resurrecting an ancient thread here. (I apologize for the dust on your screen.) I'm looking for an extremely simple cue light system. The GAM Go-Lite mentioned earlier in this thread would have been perfect for my needs but alas, it's been discontinued. I haven't been able to find anything like it out there. Does anyone know of anything similar? I suppose I can always cobble something together but off the shelf would save me some time.

Resurrecting an ancient thread here. (I apologize for the dust on your screen.) I'm looking for an extremely simple cue light system. The GAM Go-Lite mentioned earlier in this thread would have been perfect for my needs but alas, it's been discontinued. I haven't been able to find anything like it out there. Does anyone know of anything similar? I suppose I can always cobble something together but off the shelf would save me some time.

American DJ PC-100A, combine that with Edison cable you probably already have around and wire up some lightbulbs.

edit: realized I posted this before. It's still true. It's still cheap.

Good option and I may end up going that route if I can't find anything else. What I like about the Go-Lite system is that it was small and self contained. I could run one thin (telephone) cable and control 4 tiny lights with it. If I want the same functionality with the ADJ, I'd have to run 4 Edison cables and I'd end up with much larger/brighter bulbs than I really want/need.

Good option and I may end up going that route if I can't find anything else. What I like about the Go-Lite system is that it was small and self contained. I could run one thin (telephone) cable and control 4 tiny lights with it. If I want the same functionality with the ADJ, I'd have to run 4 Edison cables and I'd end up with much larger/brighter bulbs than I really want/need.

Check out the LogiCue from NuDeltaDigital - http://nudeltadigital.com/

It's a super simple cue light system that uses standard xlr cable.

I can't seem to find any other thread on this topic, so I'll resurrect this one. I'm trying to find a cue light system to install in our space. Ideally, it would be something that could be run over Cat5 cable, so that it's easy to run to the tech table, but also have run from the call position. I'm not above making my own setup if needed, though some sort of template or suggestion would be good.

I do like the LogiCue system that is mentioned above, though I'd rather not spend that much money on it, plus it's XLR runs.

I can't seem to find any other thread on this topic, so I'll resurrect this one. I'm trying to find a cue light system to install in our space. Ideally, it would be something that could be run over Cat5 cable, so that it's easy to run to the tech table, but also have run from the call position. I'm not above making my own setup if needed, though some sort of template or suggestion would be good.

I do like the LogiCue system that is mentioned above, though I'd rather not spend that much money on it, plus it's XLR runs.

ETC has a network-based cue light system now: http://www.etcconnect.com/CueSystem/

You can connect the controllers anywhere on your lighting network, and the outsations are all POE powered with some ability to daisy-chain. It's got a lot of cool features... but might not fall in the "inexpensive" category.

Aside from that, most of the commercial products I know of have been mentioned in this thread already. The viability of DIY options depends on how complex you want things to be, and how good you are with electronics. I've been known to borrow a channel in an audio snake for a single cuelight that was basically just a switch and a DC power supply at one end and a box with some LEDs in it at the other end. It was cheap, stupid simple, and met my needs at the time, but wouldn't scale well to larger quantities.

<snip>... And, for me personally, it's much easier to take cues from an on/off state from a switch... </snip>
OH I SO AGREE, I don't necessarily agree with staying with ideas from the "old days" but this ON/OFF system works so well.
I add a small caveat. When I built a system like this I added a small "THE SYSTEM IS WORKING" led on the cue-station box to give comfort to cast or crew who are dancing on their toes thinking "He has forgotten about me - I dont think this cue system is working" LOL :)
Kind regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back