Sound f/x Cue Playback Software

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by mbenonis, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Stevens R. Miller

Stevens R. Miller Well-Known Member

I haven't used Windows 7 in so long that I don't remember. But Windows has always been eager to make noises on its own initiative. So, always find your way to whatever controls the system sounds and turn them all off if you play cues from a Windows machine. If you don't, it will be only a matter of time before your audience hears a beep, chime, or thud that is going to amuse your lighthing operator, and enrage your stage manager. And no one wants either of those things to happen.

TheaterEd and RonHebbard like this.
  2. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

macsound, FMEng and RonHebbard like this.
  5. Lalaith

Lalaith Member

I want to extend my gratitude for all of the information in this thread, it was helpful in my search for a good system. Multiplay has become a good solution for me as a free and easy-to use software that still has all the bells and whistles needed to make a sound cue setup. It is slightly less intuitive than something like QLab, but works on Windows and is worth the programming.

JohnA and RonHebbard like this.
  6. John Scrip

John Scrip Member

ShowCueSystems (PC) -- Can't get enough. QLab if I have to work on the Mac. VMix (PC) for super video-heavy (and video 'call' type) stuff.

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. TimmyP1955

TimmyP1955 Active Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. jmcker

jmcker Member

There's been a lot of love for MultiPlay on this thread, myself included. Since it's no longer actively maintained and can require some tinkering as mentioned above, it can sometimes be a labor of love.

With this in mind and because the code base is closed-source, I decided to create a web-based, open-source "port" of it.

The application is far from release and even further from being trustworthy in production, but I figure I would chime in here and see if there is any interest.

If anyone is interested in using it in the future, providing feedback, or contributing to its development, I've started a project thread at https://www.controlbooth.com/projects/webplay.5.

A demo of the current prototype can be found at https://jmcker.github.io/WebPlay.
    Example production files for the demo can be downloaded here.

9. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

[ WARNING: Opinion ahead. YMMV ]

I don't mean to harsh your buzz, sir, but as a 35-year IT guy, a 25-year TV guy, and a 5-year live theatre and production guy, I wouldn't personally recommend to anyone an app for doing live show playback that runs over HTTP/depends on a web browser to work right.

There are *way* too many points of complexity in that development/deployment environment for something that has to have 5ms response time every. Single. Time.

I mean I *really* hate saying it -- there's way too little good software in this space. But this just isn't the way I recommend developing it.

[ Example 1: My browser (which is not supported), is FF/64 66.0.5, which is about 72 hours old. Chasing browsers around is hard enough when you *aren't* aiming for 5ms response time... :-} ]

jmcker, RonHebbard and Taniith like this.
  10. jmcker

jmcker Member

I hate to bother this thread any more, but I feel it's my responsibility to defend and explain my work a bit more.

The concerns put forth by @Jay Ashworth are valid. I appreciate his honest feedback and thought and hope to address them slightly.

I've added some more information about the project over here, focusing on the reasoning behind my decisions, the trade-offs, and why it would be tough for me to move away from the browser.

For clarification, this *is* an offline application, using Chrome (I'm sorry about Firefox. I explain in the other post) as an environment and tool. It requires NO network and isn't like a normal web page. I'd be willing to switch away from this if there's really too much distrust, but it would require some more convincing to outweigh all the benefits.

For anyone who is not able to load the demo production files, I've uploaded a video of them running in both WebPlay and MultiPlay here. The formats aren't interchangeable yet, but I've created the scene in both for demonstration.

Anyone who has more feedback, questions, or conversation can message me on the project thread. Let me know if I sway your opinion at all @Jay Ashworth :)

Thanks!

11. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

I should have time to look at this in the next week or two; it's our Big Finish for the season... :)

jmcker and RonHebbard like this.
  12. DarthFader

DarthFader Member

Sorry ...My Bad. A wrote this a while back and apparently never got it posted correctly. A little bit of experience with Cue Player that I am going to attach because of the length.

Attached Files:

dbaxter and RonHebbard like this.
  13. 00AVD

00AVD Active Member

Just a quick note to say that I've restarted development of MultiPlay.

jmcker, TimmyP1955, Jeph H and 5 others like this.
  14. NickVon

NickVon Well-Known Member

The Man, The Myth, The Legend!

RonHebbard likes this.
  15. JerseyMatt

JerseyMatt Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  16. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

JerseyMatt likes this.
  17. 00AVD

00AVD Active Member

I thought Telnet worked in version 2.5.5.0 but it's been 6 years since I worked on it. It may have been a bit hit and miss. I haven't got to working on the Telnet code in the new version yet (got sidetracked added OSC cues and control). Is the matrix connected before MultiPlay is launched?

JerseyMatt and RonHebbard like this.
  18. JerseyMatt

JerseyMatt Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    RonHebbard likes this.
  19. 00AVD

00AVD Active Member

I hope to write a new "buttons" app that can do multiple protocols. That may be a way off yet, but it is on my to-do list.

RonHebbard and JerseyMatt like this.
  20. 00AVD

00AVD Active Member

Hmmm... it seems that I did write a Telnet Buttons app back in 2010 but never released it. It looks complete. I completely forgot about it.

Shoot me an email (check my da-share site for address) and I'll upload it for you to test.

RonHebbard and JerseyMatt like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice