Sound f/x Cue Playback Software

FYI, there are no QLab "people", LOL, just Chris--who recently left his "day job" to work full time on QLab. I finally had a chance to meet him at the recent Broadway Sound Master Class, and he's a really nice guy, in addition to being great at both the software and customer support side of things :)

--A
No longer a solo act, Qlab has quite a team.

Its been a very long time since I have participated in CB, but hoping to get back into the forums. I can't comment on all of the flavors of playback in this thread. My Cue Lab experience ended one awful night when the mini decided we asked to much of it and fired a couple unrelated cues instead of the critical one we needed at the time. In fairness we probably did ask too much as our CEO was firm in his belief that everything with the Apple logo would walk on water. I went back to Cue Player Premium and have been amazed not only with the feature set, and ease of use, but the ongoing support and continuous improvements. I was looking over some posts discussing redundant playback ...a subject I find very interesting and valuable. Lots of long ballet cues and musical accompaniment cues in my world! The person commenting stated that one computer triggering another is not redundant as failure of the primary kills the second. His solution was I believe a midi driven trigger firing both machines. Not redundant either. Failed button or midi kills both. CPP offers an elegant solution in that it will transmit "Play" (and a few other commands) via OSC that keeps two machines with the same files working together. A tap on the mute buttons of the mixer changes the source to the synced backup machine, and it just a matter of remembering to trigger the subsequent cues from the backup. Hot backup is a better description I think. Give it a try if you never have.

Well... during the early part of the Covid pandemic, Carlton Guc at Stage Research made all of Stage Research's products free for an undetermined time.

I availed myself of an SFX license, but having no immediate use for it, didn't download it. Today I went to do so and none of the links worked, and the Stage Research domain is kaput.

Since learned that Carlton closed up shop in late 2020 and has apparently retired. He transferred SFX, RF Guru, and RF Scanner to Timeline Theatrics, where the software has become shareware (make a donation).

Somehow amongst all the other things going on in Dec 2020, we missed this. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back