Cues Based on Blocking

Hi yall! I'm a high school SM and i just finnished my second production as SM. I hope to persue SM as a career whem im older.

I was wondering how to call cues triggered by blocking.

Also what does it mean when an SM calls something like
"45 on the red, 46 on the blue, 47 on the yellow..."

Please respond if you have any answers. Thank you!

Hi yall! I'm a high school SM and I just finished my second production as SM. I hope to pursue SM as a career when I'm older.

I was wondering how to call cues triggered by blocking.

Also what does it mean when an SM calls something like
"45 on the red, 46 on the blue, 47 on the yellow..."

Please respond if you have any answers. Thank you!
@seanandkate Perhaps Kate can speak to this query? @StageManagerChris The Kate half of @seanandkate spent much of her career as an Equity Stage Manager in Canada's Stratford Shakespearean Festival. In my era, Stratford operated three venues cross-cast in rep' spread across the city of Stratford. I believe they're up to five venues presently.
I'm long retired from the IATSE.
In Actors' Equity, in addition to actors, there are (from highest to lowest)
PSM's Production Stage Managers
SM's Stage Managers
ASM's Assistant Stage Managers
and
PA's Production Assistants.
Kate can fill in more detail for you, from memory, once a company has three SM's, I believe they have to hire a PSM to supervise the SM office but, as I said, I'm retired IA and have never been an Equity member thus I trust Kate can fill in details for you.

Equity covers stage acting, straight plays and musicals.
Once you get into TV, I believe the talent belong to ACTRA but, again, I'm talking far beyond my experience.

One thing I can tell you: In Equity, a PA Production Assistant, is the bottom of the ladder.
In television, a PA is still a Production Assistant but in television a PA is a much higher, more responsible, highly respected and better paid position.
In television, the PA is the person on the headset speaking NON STOP along the lines of:
"Standing by camera 3 in a 2 shot in 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Take! Standing by camera 1 in a 3 shot in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Take! Standing by camera 5 in a 3 shot in 4, 3, 2, 1, Take!" From the time they either roll tape or go to air, a television PA NEVER stops talking.
I'll give you a little more background but only from my perspective as an IA lighting operator.
Camera's are numbered from 1 to as many as they have on a shoot. Three would be minimum number on a typical TV show, whatever "typical" is.
Each camera will have a number of standard shots as decreed by the director.
For example: Their 1 shot could be a close up on the host.
Their 2 shot could be a half body shot on the host.
Their 3 shot could be full body shot on the host.
Their 4 shot could be a shot of the host and primary guest while both are seated.
Their 5 shot could be a full body shot of the host and the primary guest once they stand.

Basically, each camera's shots could be whatever the director has forecast her / his needs to be.
Often one camera will be essentially locked on a seated host, a second essentially locked on the primary guest chair. The third camera will be covering the overall set.
Camera's often have devices called 'shot boxes' which adjust the settings of lenses for zoom and aperture settings as preset during rehearsals.

On a basic late night TV show, you may have a camera basically assigned to the host, a second camera assigned to the primary guest's chair, a third camera set for a cover shot covering both the host and the primary guest then you may have fourth camera covering the music director / band / entrances and exits / utility.

If some of your guests are a trampoline act, or team of jugglers, or a decent sized choir. you'll likely have another camera or two further away in the studio where these larger groups can be preset, pre-positioned and pre-lit.

I'm far out of my league, hopefully others will have read and replied by now.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
@seanandkate Perhaps Kate can speak to this query? @StageManagerChris The Kate half of @seanandkate spent much of her career as an Equity Stage Manager in Canada's Stratford Shakespearean Festival. In my era, Stratford operated three venues cross-cast in rep' spread across the city of Stratford. I believe they're up to five venues presently.
I'm long retired from the IATSE.
In Actors' Equity, in addition to actors, there are (from highest to lowest)
PSM's Production Stage Managers
SM's Stage Managers
ASM's Assistant Stage Managers
and
PA's Production Assistants.
Kate can fill in more detail for you, from memory, once a company has three SM's, I believe they have to hire a PSM to supervise the SM office but, as I said, I'm retired IA and have never been an Equity member thus I trust Kate can fill in details for you.

Equity covers stage acting, straight plays and musicals.
Once you get into TV, I believe the talent belong to ACTRA but, again, I'm talking far beyond my experience.

One thing I can tell you: In Equity, a PA Production Assistant, is the bottom of the ladder.
In television, a PA is still a Production Assistant but in television a PA is a much higher, more responsible, highly respected and better paid position.
In television, the PA is the person on the headset speaking NON STOP along the lines of:
"Standing by camera 3 in a 2 shot in 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Take! Standing by camera 1 in a 3 shot in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, Take! Standing by camera 5 in a 3 shot in 4, 3, 2, 1, Take!" From the time they either roll tape or go to air, a television PA NEVER stops talking.
I'll give you a little more background but only from my perspective as an IA lighting operator.
Camera's are numbered from 1 to as many as they have on a shoot. Three would be minimum number on a typical TV show, whatever "typical" is.
Each camera will have a number of standard shots as decreed by the director.
For example: Their 1 shot could be a close up on the host.
Their 2 shot could be a half body shot on the host.
Their 3 shot could be full body shot on the host.
Their 4 shot could be a shot of the host and primary guest while both are seated.
Their 5 shot could be a full body shot of the host and the primary guest once they stand.

Basically, each camera's shots could be whatever the director has forecast her / his needs to be.
Often one camera will be essentially locked on a seated host, a second essentially locked on the primary guest chair. The third camera will be covering the overall set.
Camera's often have devices called 'shot boxes' which adjust the settings of lenses for zoom and aperture settings as preset during rehearsals.

On a basic late night TV show, you may have a camera basically assigned to the host, a second camera assigned to the primary guest's chair, a third camera set for a cover shot covering both the host and the primary guest then you may have fourth camera covering the music director / band / entrances and exits / utility.

If some of your guests are a trampoline act, or team of jugglers, or a decent sized choir. you'll likely have another camera or two further away in the studio where these larger groups can be preset, pre-positioned and pre-lit.

I'm far out of my league, hopefully others will have read and replied by now.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hello @StageManagerChris Since no one else has raced to your post, I'll post another chapter; bear in mind, I'm NOT an Equity stage manager nor have I played one on TV; that said:
The colors could mean any of several things, for example:
First of all, when spiking furnishings; chairs, tables, rugs, etcetera, it's common to spike only the two U/S corners for several reasons:
If you spike behind and beside the U/S two legs of a chair, then the spikes are largely unseen during performances, even by patrons in the second balcony.
Don't spike under a chair or table's legs since the spikes would no longer be visible once the item is in position.
Having to move an item to check its spike is a dumb waste of time.

Spiking all around, all four sides, of a chair's foot is a waste of tape.
More tape costs more money and leaves more tape on what may become a stage littered in a myriad of spike marks.
When spiking a chair for example, you'd normally spike behind both rear legs plus the off stage side of both U/S legs; this gives you all you need to position a chair including it's angle assuming it's not facing directly up or down stage.

In a multi act production, all first act spikes could be one color with a second color for all second act spikes. Likewise a third color could be for a third act.
This same technique could be used for multiple scenes.

If / when you spike too many corners of too many items, your tasteful black stage becomes a littered mess of colored tapes.
In general, with spikes, less is more. Less tape leaves less mess and less sticky residue to remove later. Some things don't require spiking, for example:
If a square table needs four chairs around it, spiking the two U/S legs of the table precisely locates the table, including any angular rotation. After that, if the crew, props pixies and / or actorines can't position four chairs around a four sided table, you've got bigger problems.

Spike marks could be for performers. In this case, it's common to have the director position the performer precisely where she / he wants them then spike immediately in front of their toes, again, so it's easy to confirm their correct location and it's not necessary to have them move to confirm they're standing on top of their spike. Spike immediately in front of their toes, and again, only a small mark then the SM, performer, lighting crew, who ever can tell where the performer will be standing. This allows a crew member to position a hall tree, or dress makers dummy, or six foot ladder in the correct position to focus specials pre or post rehearsals without needing to have the actors on hand while they're focusing.
Hopefully this'll fill in a few gaps while you're waiting for some of Control Booth's pro's to read your post and get off their duffs.
Toodleoo!
Ron (Always a crew member and NEVER an SM or performer.) Hebbard

Hi Chris. Calling cues triggered by blocking operates the same as cues triggered by text--anticipate the word / move. The actors will hopefully keep the same order / rhythm of movement each show. In your prompt book, instead of indicating an exact word on which the cue is called, use a notation in the margin like "LQ 34 On Ro DL X" to remind you to call Lighting cue 34 cue when Romeo begins his cross downstage left. Again, remember to anticipate. There will be a lag between the time you see the blocking cue and the time your operator triggers it. Not sure about the "45 on the red, 46 on the blue, 47 on the yellow..." I would need more context. Many shows end up with show specific cueing to solve show specific issues.

My guess is the color is for cue lights... in other words cue 45 runs when the red cue light turns on. Cue lights are often used when crew who can’t be on com need a signal.
@urban79 and @StageManagerChris and @derekleffew In my part of the world, Cue 45 would be standing by when the light illuminates and cue 45 would GO when the light extinguishes. Cue lights are always parallel pairs for redundancy / reliability; if / when only one of a pair lights, it's time to replace its mate.
I've found cue lights very common on fly rails where the head flyperson may have a headset and / or speaker station but two or three pairs of lamps would be used to cue multiple fly persons spaced along the rail to fly multiple pieces for a scene change.

Precise fly cues vary by production, one example could be:

First cue light lights for Stand by, extinguishes for Go! Several fly persons clear legs, and drops to make way for deck carps striking scenery into the wings and running new flats and props into position.

Second cue light lights for Stand by, and extinguishes for Go! Legs, borders, mid-stage drape fly in to trim for next scene.

Third cue light lights for Stand by, and extinguishes for Go! House curtain flys out for the start of the next scene or act.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
SeanAndKate seems to cover the blocking cues well.

My guess is the color is for cue lights... in other words cue 45 runs when the red cue light turns on. Cue lights are often used when crew who can’t be on com need a signal.
Cue Lights is my best guess as well. I'm guessing this is something you heard a stage manager say once and didn't have context?

But I will also second Ron on this one, proper way to use cue lights is ON = Standby, OFF = Go

So my guess the stage manager was turning on 3 cue lights (a red, a blue and yellow) and reminding people which cue light triggers which cue. (though usually you use cue lights for people who can't be on headset)

Colors are cue lights. Light coming on is Standby, light off is GO!. Still used on fly floors (rope lights along the rail are common) when the rope monkeys take off their intercom headsets or the action is loud enough they cant clearly hear the call over the biscuit speaker.

Props pushers often use the same cue light concepts, as having the cattle trip over the dragging intercom cable is considered a Bad Thing.

Colors are cue lights. Light coming on is Standby, light off is GO!. Still used on fly floors (rope lights along the rail are common) when the rope monkeys take off their intercom headsets or the action is loud enough they cant clearly hear the call over the biscuit speaker.

Props pushers often use the same cue light concepts, as having the cattle trip over the dragging intercom cable is considered a Bad Thing.
@TimMc Rope lights in colors for cueing or rope lights along the lock rail for illumination to read line-set labels??
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back