Cues... dumb question.

I get what you're saying. That's what we've always done, minus the cues. The only fear I have about cues is they make the show dreadfully boring for the light op (sometimes me).

Here's the deal. On one hand you are in high school and you are learning. And it's wonderfully educational to be making up the show as you go. I believe every technician should start out running cues manually on a two scene preset because you have to be so much more focused and in tune with the show. However on the other hand you have the goal of doing real professional theater. Let's think about how they do lighting. They hire a pro designer to come in and design lights for a show they hang hundreds of lights and write a couple hundred cues for a show. It's all very subtle and yet it supports the plot and guides the audience through the show in so many ways. That man/penman isn't paid to run the lights he/she is paid to create... someone else get's paid a lot less money to run them. But the trick is they want to make EVERY performance look the way the designer intended. If you can't record cues how do you create the same thing every night?

So why should you record cues? Well first off it opens up the opportunity to do REAL lighting design. You can set all kinds of fades and timings that will really alter the way the audience reacts to a show and these are things you just can't consistently do every night manually. Secondly it's learning to do it the way you will do it in college and in the pro world. Third you are right it's sort of boring to push a button but the flip side is it's a great way to plug your new students into a show. They don't have to know a lot to be able to run lights. When I was teaching high school my best technician was programing the light board with my newest technician sitting at their side and running the show later. It does get boring, but it's also a great way to get a feel for how to program and a fabulous place to put the new person.

Just wait until you get into a theater situation running sound effects on a computer. Then you need to find two button pushing monkeys for each show.

I was thinking about all this actually. If our TD will let me, I'm going to try to set up cues for the Broadway review we'rerunning for our school's Choir. I'll find out tomorrow.

PS: We have a sound effects machine. It may only be pushing buttons, but it's pretty awesome. It also isn't bolted down yet, so we're afriad someone might steal it.

Here's the deal. On one hand you are in high school and you are learning. And it's wonderfully educational to be making up the show as you go. I believe every technician should start out running cues manually on a two scene preset because you have to be so much more focused and in tune with the show. However on the other hand you have the goal of doing real professional theater. Let's think about how they do lighting. They hire a pro designer to come in and design lights for a show they hang hundreds of lights and write a couple hundred cues for a show. It's all very subtle and yet it supports the plot and guides the audience through the show in so many ways. That man/penman isn't paid to run the lights he/she is paid to create... someone else get's paid a lot less money to run them. But the trick is they want to make EVERY performance look the way the designer intended. If you can't record cues how do you create the same thing every night?

So why should you record cues? Well first off it opens up the opportunity to do REAL lighting design. You can set all kinds of fades and timings that will really alter the way the audience reacts to a show and these are things you just can't consistently do every night manually. Secondly it's learning to do it the way you will do it in college and in the pro world. Third you are right it's sort of boring to push a button but the flip side is it's a great way to plug your new students into a show. They don't have to know a lot to be able to run lights. When I was teaching high school my best technician was programing the light board with my newest technician sitting at their side and running the show later. It does get boring, but it's also a great way to get a feel for how to program and a fabulous place to put the new person.

Just wait until you get into a theater situation running sound effects on a computer. Then you need to find two button pushing monkeys for each show.

Not if you have the Rosco Keystroke!

Good points gafftaper, but let's dispel the myth that the LBO is just a "button pushing monkey". To paraphrase a quote from one of our illustrious members, when speaking of being a board op on Broadway years ago, "They don't pay us $70,000 a year to push GO. They pay us to know what to do when GO doesn't work."

Another professional stagehand friend has compared stagehands to firemen. Yes, we're paid a lot to sit around around mostly doing nothing, but when something goes wrong or cues need to be executed, we're right there, "putting out the fire" and making sure the audience never notices.

The above in no way intends any dis-repect to firefighters or other emergency personnel.

Last edited:
Good points gafftaper, but let's dispel the myth that the LBO is just a "button pushing monkey". To paraphrase a quote from one of our illustrious members, when speaking of being a board op on Broadway years ago, "They don't pay me $70,000 a year to push GO. They pay me to know what to do when GO doesn't work."

Which is why I find it interesting that I've seen a couple of regional theaters in Philly who use the SM as the LBO.

Another professional stagehand friend has compared stagehands to firemen. Yes, we're paid a lot to sit around around mostly doing nothing, but when something goes wrong or cues need to be executed, we're right there, "putting out the fire" and making sure the audience never notices.

The above in no way intends any dis-repect to firefighters or other emergency personnel.

Interesting analogy, there's probably a better comparison though, between getting cues right, and putting out fires/saving lives...

Which is why I find it interesting that I've seen a couple of regional theaters in Philly who use the SM as the LBO...
I believe AEA Rules specifically prohibit this, without a special waiver. Does the SM also maintain the lighting for the show?

...Interesting analogy, there's probably a better comparison though, between getting cues right, and putting out fires/saving lives...
Totally agree, but I can't think of a better answer to a producer's question, "Why am I paying all these stagehands to just sit around?"

I believe AEA Rules specifically prohibit this, without a special waiver. Does the SM also maintain the lighting for the show?

From what I remember, the SMs were contracted separately to their AEA contract. Not sure if they ran channel/dimmer checks, but I believe they put any lighting notes in the show report, and the ME would fix it before the next performance.

Totally agree, but I can't think of a better answer to a producer's question, "Why am I paying all these stagehands to just sit around?"

True. I can't think of anything as concise and to the point either.

Which is why I find it interesting that I've seen a couple of regional theaters in Philly who use the SM as the LBO.

That's not all that unheard of in community theater where booths are often tiny and there may not even be room for an LBO... but a regional theater that sounds crazy and as Derek said probably illegal with the union.

I also fully agree with Derek... and Mr. Terry about the importance of having someone who knows what they are doing pressing that button. Problems do happen. I thought about buying a key stroke until it occurred to me that I would have no way to back up or jump ahead in the cue stack if there was a problem... that's where you need someone who can think and react.

That's not all that unheard of in community theater where booths are often tiny and there may not even be room for an LBO... but a regional theater that sounds crazy and as Derek said probably illegal with the union.

I also fully agree with Derek... and Mr. Terry about the importance of having someone who knows what they are doing pressing that button. Problems do happen. I thought about buying a key stroke until it occurred to me that I would have no way to back up or jump ahead in the cue stack if there was a problem... that's where you need someone who can think and react.

I refer you to the LORT Rulebook.

The applicable excerpt, found on page 78 and 79, is below:

(6) Stage Managers and Assistant Stage Managers shall not be required to perform
the following, unless they are contracted and compensated separately from the Equity
contract; if a separate, written contract is made, a copy of such contract shall be
forwarded to Equity:

(a) Design, build, hang, transport, operate, shift, run, shop for or maintain lights,
sound, scenery, props, video, wardrobe, animals, etc.

Am I the only one that things there are some grammar issues in that first paragraph?

Am I the only one that things there are some grammar issues in that first paragraph?

I'm sure Derek sees nothing wrong with it.

It seems really odd for a true "Regional Theater" to have SM's being LBO as well. While you found the Equity loophole rule, I would think IATSE would be a little upset about it. I think most Regional theaters are IATSE houses too.

Last edited:

It seems really odd for a true "Regional Theater" to have SM's being LBO as well. While you found the Equity loophole rule, I would think IATSE would be a little upset about it. I think most Regional theaters are IATSE houses too.

I'm fairly certain that if it's an Equity AND IATSE house, that the SM's do not operate the stage equipment.

SB

Check your PMs, when I have some free time to send it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back