Sound f/x Cues from iPad?

An iPad may be a great tool for setup and some simple operations but is probably not the right tool to provide acceptable quality, flexibility and reliability in regards network, control, audio, etc. connectivity for critical applications.

I probably wouldn't rely on one for a big show with many channels and thousands of cues, but if anything iOS is more bullet proof than OS X in terms of reliability, and audio output is at least on par with my MacBook Pro. Plus I get super fast, super reliable flash storage, so I don't have to worry about HD issues. Flexibility? I need to run the output to an external device via a mini jack, just like with my laptop, and I get a device that's easy to shoehorn into tight spaces. For all intents and purposes, when running a particular piece of software the iPad become a dedicated device with a huge control surface, with OS overhead kept to a minimum. So while a certainly wouldn't try to edit and process my sound files on one (yet) it seems kind of ideal as a playback device.

I realize the iPad might seem like a bit of a toy, in certain quarters, but for sound purposes it has more than enough processing power and storage space, coupled with an extremely robust OS. This is speaking for myself, of course, not trying to talk anyone into "drinking the Koolaid." Now all I need is the right application to take advantage of the potential.

I need to run the output to an external device via a mini jack, just like with my laptop, and I get a device that's easy to shoehorn into tight spaces. For all intents and purposes, when running a particular piece of software the iPad become a dedicated device with a huge control surface, with OS overhead kept to a minimum. So while a certainly wouldn't try to edit and process my sound files on one (yet) it seems kind of ideal as a playback device.
My issue is that in order to focus on convenience and aesthetics, devices like the iPad often have to forego the robust, quality external connectivity that may be appropriate for some applications. A 3.5mm stereo headphone audio output is far from ideal for critical audio applications and most people would instead use an external USB or FireWire audio interface for critical applications such as theatre.

But on an iPad the headphone jack is the only connectivity other than a single proprietary port for a non-locking adapter connector or dock. With an iPad you have to use that port and an adapter or dock for any video, MIDI, USB2.0 or other connectivity and with adapters are greatly limited to only one of those at a time. You can't use video or MIDI out and run from external power without a dock or an external third-party interface. And there is no wired network connectivity option. You could use something like the Studio Six Digital iInterface 2 to access audio and power the iPad. And although it is still a wireless connection, you could use AirPort Express to tie into a wired network. But you then seem to have lost many of the advantages of having a small, integrated device.

Found this for iPad just recently. FX Live. I played with the "demo" free version which is limited but gives a good sense of the apps abilites. The Full version purchaseable from the app is self is like 10$. The demo is very limited for actual show use. They do recommend purchasing one of the line level usb dongles instead of using the 3.5mm stereo out. Which is good advice anyways. App allows for cueing and opening files from your device or cloud. (there is a clever write up about how you can drag whole folders of music straight to the app when connected in itunes if you already have your audio pulled)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back