Sound f/x Cues from iPad?

Hey,

Sorry if there has already been a post about this, but i can't seem to find any answers. Is there a piece of software for cueing sound off a mac that has a compatible iPad app?

Thanks,
Carl

I'm not a big mac user, but we use q-lab to fire all of our sound fx here. I haven't had a reason to look, but maybe they have a ipad version of that.

Could you just run Qlab on your mac and control it via VNC from your iPad? I use the Remoter VNC app, which is free.

Although qlab doesn't offer an iPad app I wouldn't stray from qlab. If you don't want to use a vnc, personally they get a little technical for me. There are apps out there that allow you to view your computer screen on a wifi network, I use AirDisplay ($10.00) or you can also use a midi app if you own a midi license for qlab.

Look into Soundbyte. It is now a Mac/PC compatible program with an iPod/iPhone/iPad remote. It works great and is quite flexible for SFX needs.

Look into Soundbyte. It is now a Mac/PC compatible program with an iPod/iPhone/iPad remote. It works great and is quite flexible for SFX needs.

Be prepared to either donte to it, or deal with pop-ups every 5 minutes or so though. Otherwise, it works well.

Another sound effect cue firing method would be Ableton Live. There is a Mac version as well as an iPad version.

Check this out: Qlab Remote iPhone

It's based off of Telekinesis and it works for simple "GO", it's not great for much else. Also remember that QLab has to be the main & active window on the show computer.

if you're just looking to load/fire cues you could use a midi controller on your ipad/iphone and configure qlab to respond to the appropriate midi commands.

The one that i use is ITM Matrix. install it on your iDevice and you run a small app on the qlab computer to move the midi commands over the wireless network and thats it.

This method has come in handy for me time and time again.

hope it helps.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm looking for a good (preferably free - just graduated and funding my own tech...) sound app.... I need something that runs from the iPad itself, not controlling Qlab. Any suggestions?

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm looking for a good (preferably free - just graduated and funding my own tech...) sound app.... I need something that runs from the iPad itself, not controlling Qlab. Any suggestions?
What kind of "sound app"? What are you wanting to do?

Sorry, in re-reading my post I realized I did not specify I'm looking for a sound CUE app. Ideally I'd love to have Qlab, but I've found a note on their website from two years ago that said they aren't planning to develop an ipad app (which is very sad in my opinion...) and since I haven't found anything, they must not have pursued it much further. I want something to be able to design for shows just on my ipad (or most especially: on my computer to run from my ipad).

Are you wanting to have the iPad fire cues on the computer or are you wanting to have the entire cue system run off of the iPad itself?

I'd love something like what's being described-- simple sfx cuing for the iPad that allows for things like individual track envelope and pan, individual track start and stop times, toggling auto advance, etc. Seems like a no-brainer, in that simple sound playback and transport controls are well within the iPad's processing capabilities and its size and touch UI make it preferable to dedicating a laptop that's probably way overpowered for the task at hand. Something possibly like Macs Cue, tailored for iOS. I'm actually surprised no one has stepped in to make this product (well, aside from the fact that the market is relatively small compared to, say, Angry Birds :)

I'd love something like what's being described-- simple sfx cuing for the iPad that allows for things like individual track envelope and pan, individual track start and stop times, toggling auto advance, etc. Seems like a no-brainer, in that simple sound playback and transport controls are well within the iPad's processing capabilities and its size and touch UI make it preferable to dedicating a laptop that's probably way overpowered for the task at hand. Something possibly like Macs Cue, tailored for iOS. I'm actually surprised no one has stepped in to make this product (well, aside from the fact that the market is relatively small compared to, say, Angry Birds :)
An iPad may be a great tool for setup and some simple operations but is probably not the right tool to provide acceptable quality, flexibility and reliability in regards network, control, audio, etc. connectivity for critical applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back