Curtain call for crew?

Should the Technical Crew appear onstage for the curtain call?

• Total voters
All the old people(senior citizens) come to the Sunday matinees. The retirement home close to our high school sends over a small bus of seniors on Sundays.

I've been dragged out before and hated it.

However there are people that like it and seeing as it sounds like it was a bit of a tradition I'd ask the crew what they thought.

The cast at my high school used to acknoledge the crew and director on the final night but I've never seen that put into practice in the industry otherwise.

Acknoledging the pit/band is a given though.

theatremagic said:

I don't get that, if the pit/band gets acknowledge why doesn't the crew. The crew is just as important as the band, so by saying they have to be acknowledge is like just ridiculus. What makes them more special then the crew who actually makes it possible for the show to go on.

I personally dont want to be seen. I became a tech for many reasons. Fame is not one of them. We are supposed to disappear into the background. If we do our job you dont see us

Sombra2 said:
theatremagic said:

I don't get that, if the pit/band gets acknowledge why doesn't the crew. The crew is just as important as the band, so by saying they have to be acknowledge is like just ridiculus. What makes them more special then the crew who actually makes it possible for the show to go on.

As avkid said, they do sit out in plain view. Musicals for example may have their band on stage and then they will get an acknoledgement at the end of the show because they are also acting. They don't do anything to distract from the action on stage, etc.

But the way I originally put it didn't come out the way I meant it. What I meant was that at my high school acknoledging the pit/band was a given. It's the casts way of saying that they appreciate all the work they put into the show. That doesn't mean that they think any less of the crew.

When it comes down to it though. The band sits on stage in view or in front of the stage in view. The crew works backstage. The show can't go on without either of the two. The band gets applause because they are seen as well as the actors for a good 3 hours or however long the show is. It's a courtesy thing. To an audience member they will walk away from the show remembering seeing the band (if they paid attention) and the cast. They won't think of the crew and that's the way that it goes.

No, the band isn't any more or less important than the crew, but they're a part of the company and deserve their applause. Just like a crew will take their applause by proxy.

It's ironic, because the main goal of anyone on tech or set crew is not be seen or noticed, which is precisely why they deserve the recognition because they haven't been seen.

Foxinabox10 - I don't know if you are saying that they should take a bow, but If you are, I dissagree with you.

Just like you said, " the main goal of anyone on tech or set crew is not be seen or noticed"

And I think that as long as a tech or crew member is in the Auditorium, they should never be seen on stage or anywhere but backstage or the booth for that matter. If you want to be seen on stage... Dont be on crew.

A friend of mine who was TD for a show was made to dress as a woman and act by the crew who felt they needed visual representation onstage.. he looked good in a dress..

We usually play "Dog Howling 1" sound effect and a chase on closing night if they point at us..
We don't mind no recognition from audience, we just get slightly annoyed if someone else takes the credit :D..

But going onstage?! no way!

We are profesionals. Do you ever see the stagehands take a bow on broadway? No. So why should we do it?

Our School

At our school, on the last night of every run, someone from the cast is given a pre prepared speech and everyone on the 'support teams' is thanked and given stuff. They are invited up on stage, to rapturous applause.

As a pro I dissaprove of this practise, and many of the tech crew dissaprove too. Usually, the wrong people are thanked (such as teachers who have done nothing over the course of the show) and generally causes more problems than it causes.

So like everyone else has said, the crew should be thanked by the cast after the performance, when the house is clear and things are winding down. Even better, the cast could show their thanks by helping us with the get out! :p

yeah our school doesnt have the tech crew come out, its not really our choice its the directors choice and since ours doesn't work with a full deck. and anyways how does your sound and lighting people come out if there up in a booth.

I actually went on stage at the end of the drama last year, I was so out of it I didn't realize what I was doing at the time.

kitkatfreak003 -
Booth? You mean the desk at the back of the 120-seat house? They don't. In fact, they keep to themselves - our theatre could be described as a concrete bunker so no form of radio or telephone communication can reach them, or anywhere else. In the wods of my Drama Teacher:
"If everyone knows the show well, you don't need cans!"
And with the size show we do, we don't need them!

Anyway.... The light/sound guys don't come down. Its just the running crew and stage management (all backstage) that appear.

I have had to do two curtain calls as a tech, and I have hated them both. I think that it should be up to the tech themselves, as to whether to go on or not. In one of my other performaces, we went up on stage, and were each given a small box of chocolates this was only done however, when the auditorium was emptyand only the actors where there. This was much better, because we were still recognized for what we had done, but didnt have to appear in front of the whole audience.

I could about see all the tech people coming on stage as if a part of the runners up at prom. All the actors are dressed up all fancy, and the stage crew in black in making the bow look like te step sister glory hounds not good enough to be on stage.

Been pulled out once or twice as a specific individual perhaps closing night, been pointed to while off stage or in the boot etc. Fine, that's the actors choice and not a official thing. It's also something not planned and due to that being the personal wishing to share the spotlight with someone they feel helped them in an important way.

At such times it was also only after the inital curtain call were it was actors alone.

Hope it helps. I have also never seen a show where the tech crew was required to or would even if so go on stage other than for a special pulled on stage thanks by the cast, or a motioning to as per the orchestra at most.

Our bows our on closing night, and on that night is techie dress up night, so we actually end up out dressing the actors in both formality and oddness.

I do have a very strong view on this. Techs should as a rule NEVER take bows. The public should never see any member of the crew, unless it's because they are in the auditorium, or if there's a problem. I know some long running shows that have had heavy technical elements (e.g. HDM @ National, UK) the crew have taken a bow on the closing performance, but never at any other time. We did a school production of JCS at my last school last year, and the director wanted all of the student techs down on stage. I didn't go down. He looked at me as if to ask why I wasn't coming, but I didn't move. It's not appropriate for tech's to go on stage, I firmly believe that and I wouldn't have felt comfortable going on stage on such an occasion. If I wanted to be onstage, I would have gone for a part. End of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back