Curtain call for crew?

Should the Technical Crew appear onstage for the curtain call?

• Total voters
Well we didn't get our headshots or even a picture of any of the tech in our program for our musical. Yes, I know our jobs are to be the shadows of the stage. That's why I'm a tech, not an actor. I don't like being in the spotlight. I just want a little recoginition for our work that we put in. The light doesn't burn, I promise, I'm still alive, so you can step in the light for a few minutes and take a little bow. Then run for the cover of the wings.

Wow, I read all of that.

This is a really interesting topic. I've never heard about it, but after reading about what all of you said, I've decided I'm against the concept.

In one production at my school they did the "palm to the booth" and I liked it then, but when I found out that real theaters did not do it to the booth (only to the band) I was annoyed that they did. I would like to (as I go to an arts school where I'm supposedly training to become professional) run the shows professionally. My mom didn't come see the first school show I designed lights for. She didn't need to come see me take a bow, and I wouldn't have anyways.

I think that if the audience is applauding, they're applauding us too (whether they know it or not), for giving the actors a place to be (sayeth the techie bible) so just shut up and high five each other later after you finish your cold pizza.

We know how much work we put in. And by going up and taking a bow, it doesn't help anyone realize how much work we put in. It just seems unprofessional. I spent two days building a theater in a ballroom, staying up until 3:30a focusing lights, falling asleep in a hotel room for a couple hours, cuing all day and running the show for the acknowledgment of "Thank you to the Production & Design Conservatory Students" in a program and the TD's name spelled wrong. I would have done it for less than that.
This is what I love, and I don't need fame and fortune. I just need enough fortune to pay for my new laptop and lightwright license. (Yay for free student VW!)

In professional theater, wouldn't there be cues during curtain call?

[Although I admit I thought the "bowing" of the set lights was a cute idea...]

At my High School, we have a tradition where after the curtain call, the entire cast sprints to the lobby and lines up so that all the departing audience members have to pass by. The tech crew also lines up on the other side of the lobby. Obviously the actors get most of the attention, but lots of audience members end up asking about "those scary guys in all black" and why they're there. However, they end up appreciating the techs after they find out who they are. It's not a bow, but I think it's still good - maintains the professionalism of the crew while still allowing them time to be recognized.

We've never done curtain calls for the crew - we even work really really hard to keep the directors off the stage, although there is one who insists upon taking her bows with the cast. Crew is far too busy to be taking bows - as far as we're concerned, the show is far from over at that point.

However, we do have headshots and bios for the crew in the program book, so we feel acknowledged that way.

Iv never done a curtain call. Honestly I hate being reconized for being on crew cause I think it feels unprofessional. Then everyone wants to talk to me after the show when I need to load out. If it was me I would stop.

At my High School, we have a tradition where after the curtain call, the entire cast sprints to the lobby and lines up so that all the departing audience members have to pass by. The tech crew also lines up on the other side of the lobby. Obviously the actors get most of the attention, but lots of audience members end up asking about "those scary guys in all black" and why they're there. However, they end up appreciating the techs after they find out who they are. It's not a bow, but I think it's still good - maintains the professionalism of the crew while still allowing them time to be recognized.

This just makes me cringe! Not only does it break the whole concept of "willful suspension of disbelief," but it also screams low-level community theatre at me. As theatre artists it is our responsibility to create illusion. Once anyone steps outside the world we have created on stage in the guise of that world it has destroyed that illusion. Period. It is my job as a theatre educator and professional to instill in my students the way and workings of the professional craft. Anything that is done for the sake of ego or any other purpose seems to cheapen the entire experience of going to the theatre.

- There, I will step down off my soapbox now... -

In anything other than High School theatre I think it's a big No-No!!!

I would find it acceptable in High School on closing night if, and only if, they have everyone involved in the show come out on stage or something like that.

(Maybe just turn off the lights before going on stage. Then go out in the dark!!!)

In our theatre program, the actors go out and line up. Tech people then do the close up, put away, and clean up. When I'm done with that, I usually go through the line and say "good job" to the actors. That way, I can get the wireless mics back, too. And find out where the after-show party is.

Last edited:
This just makes me cringe! Not only does it break the whole concept of "willful suspension of disbelief," but it also screams low-level community theatre at me. As theatre artists it is our responsibility to create illusion. Once anyone steps outside the world we have created on stage in the guise of that world it has destroyed that illusion. Period. It is my job as a theatre educator and professional to instill in my students the way and workings of the professional craft. Anything that is done for the sake of ego or any other purpose seems to cheapen the entire experience of going to the theatre.

- There, I will step down off my soapbox now... -

We don't do this every performance, just on certain occasions. For example, we did a Saturday matinee for Beauty and the Beast where kids were encouraged to come for lower ticket prices, and after the show the entire cast went out to do a meet and greet with the kids, in character. We usually do something like this on closing night too, but not always, and not everyone goes out. I know many members of the crew don't go out, it's not at all required. Usually some of our underclassmen are there, and only those who want to be. Usually the board ops and upperclassmen don't go out, since we have work to be doing still.

Although, when I was acting, I was never too fond of it either. It seemed kind of unprofessional. I eventually rationalized it as what would happen at the Stage Door of a broadway show, but i dont know. I guess its one of those traditions that no one knows how or why it's done, but it happens anyways.

I guess its one of those traditions that no one knows how or why it's done, but it happens anyways.

Same here... Why are traditions so hard to break??? Maybe it's because the actors get a few more minutes in the limelight... (Just an expression. My theatre's not THAT outdated!!! ;))

No, no NO!! I like to compare the crew to Ninjas. The highest praise a techie can get is if the audience has no idea he/she is there. We get our thanks from a job well done, a show where nothing breaks and nobody bleeds real blood, and in some instances from a paycheck. Like many others have said, if you want the spotlight be an actor. A show with its crew on stage is a ship with no one at the wheel.

Most technicians that I have worked with loathe the idea of being placed in the lights. Our reward is the satisfaction of a job well done and hopefully a good day rate. Personally, my only request of directors is that they offer a hand to the booth and the pit during curtain calls. I don't see it as a way for the audience to recognize the people in black, but a way for the performers to remember who makes things go. I also like to try to talk directors into limiting their curtain calls. I figure a bow for supprting characters and leads, followed by a company bow suffices.

My theory is never heard never seen, until the last performance we all come out for a bow and the directors speech. (High School shows) otherwise there is nothing for me.

I'm in high school so of course my crew goes out and takes a bow...but I hate it , if I could help it we wouldn't go out to bow. However, it's funny because the audience cheers a lot louder when we run out there than when the cast first runs out to bow.

(sorry, I know I'm late, but I'm also a newb, so please bear w/me)

I'm in high school so we do curtain calls for about half of our shows (really depends on the type of show) and I used to love it. Freshman and Sophomore year, you couldn't slap the smile off my face when I walked on stage, even with me trying to repress it myself. I just got this strange feeling of elation. By now that feeling's worn off, but I still think it should be done. Don't think the audience cares at all, but if I've been working my butt of for this production, I better at least get some applause.

A horror story about our crew "bows". This year, we have a SM who is doing her first show. After our opening night, the agreement was that the crew was going to go down and stand in the procession line as people leave (see my post a few posts up if you don't know what I mean). So as the lights come up for the curtain call, everyone in the booth (two sound people, another lighting person besides myself, and the SM) all run down the stairs, apparently trying to be the first into the procession line. After the curtain call the lights go down and the curtain closes, and since the SM's headset is lying 5 feet from me and off, I call backstage to see if I am good to bring the house up. The response is "we're all out here in the lobby." Apparently, they shut the curtain then sprinted out to the lobby as well. So after leaving the audience in darkness for about 20 seconds, I finally bring up the house - to find that the curtain had snagged on a set piece and was hanging half open giving a clear view into backstage. So I go down to the stage and fix the curtain, right as our new TD shows up and asks what the hell just happened.

Although some good comes out of everything. The practice of having techs out in the lobby is now officially over, and will never be done again. Just because the curtain's closed (or not quite closed) doesn't mean our work is done.

At the Pageant we don't do curtain calls. Period. Not for the cast. Not for the crew. That said, bear in mind that we don't exactly fit in the mould of traditional theatre. By the end of the show, half the cast has already gone home, and half the crew is trying to beat the crowd out so they don't get stuck in traffic.

If only I could do that.:rolleyes:

When I'm working on other shows, whether or not the crew takes a bow varies depending on the group using one of our stages. My personal preference would be that I be left out of the bows, but if a given group wants to acknowledge the crew and or venue staff by having us come out on stage and take a bow, I can be gracious enough to do so. It's their show. They can handle curtain call however they want.

Really, the best acknowledgement I can get is program credit and a group that leaves my venue happy, and that's glad to see me when they return.

I dont remember the last time that I have taken a bow.
Normal curtain call goes like this, actors go out and bow, then point to the musicians in the pit, I have a group of pit special (lights) that I bump up. A few shows they point up to the booth and/or FOH sound. Curtain closes and house lights come up. I normally walk down into the house and very rarely (like once) have gotten comments on lighting. My "curtain call" is when the Director, or the theater's Executive Director says good job. Now that I'm working in a professional theater my real "curtain call" is when I get my paycheck.

I think its alright to have a crew curtain call in High School, mainly because their parents are in the audience.

When I was a freshman in HS, we did on closing night and it was friggin terrifying! There's a reason I'm not a thespian. It was a learning experience though, now I know what they're talking about when they say that you can't see the audience. When I was a sophmore crap happened and I wasn't in the musical. This year I'll definitely be doing the musical so I'll hafta wait and see what happens!

Freshman year, for the play, the director wanted the crew to be right in front of the stage with a light pointed on us. STD said absolutely not. I absolutely agree. That was one of her more ridiculous statements but I have to be nice to her... she's my English teacher. She once took up one of my entire classes telling me about what she wanted for her lighting plot.

I don't care whether the crew gets a curtain call, but I enjoy it when we do. I do think that the actors should point up to the booth.

On the last show I did at my high school I wish we hadn't gotten a curtain call. The followspot operator felt that he deserved to come on stage and bow, so for the last whole number, there was no followspot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back