Curtain call for crew?

Should the Technical Crew appear onstage for the curtain call?

• Total voters
lol, Reason I like crew is because I dont like being ifnront of a lot of people. So, yeah

I've been pulled on stage by directors and casts before, and it's always really awkward. I understand that the cast/director wishes to thank the technicans publicly, but it makes my job much harder. During curtain call I take over calling the show so the SM can herd actors. When I get called on stage we suddenly have nobody running the show.

The light also burns...

I don't know if I posted in this thread or not yet, but I thought of something. In high school, the crew was acknowledged by the cast with a hand gesture, and then on the final performance of each show the student designers would be given flowers. On the last show of the year they would bring out the crew to say thanks for a good year. There was also some funny tradition with the senior actors and tech who were graduating to kiss the stage after the final performance of senior year, but that is a whole 'nother story.

After high school the only credit I think you really need to get is your name in the program. However, when I was working on cruise ships I was recognized by name by almost every performer. Now, I was on a small ship and I was the only FOH tech running lighting, sound, and video, but by the middle of every cruise, most of the passengers knew who I was because of the recognition. I certainly didn't find any problems with this because when i would go hang out with my friend who played piano in one of the bars, people would buy me drinks because they knew who I was and how much work I was doing for their entertainment. Can't argue with free drinks. I never asked for the recognition, I was just doing my job.

In fact I have never asked for recognition, just seeing my name in the program makes me happy. Remember, you should be doing this job because it is something that you love to do. Because of that, you shouldn't need to get recognized to make it worth your time. If you are in this business for the recognition then you are not really doing the right thing. That is my opinion anyway.

I went to see the last performance of the Monty Python show here in Vegas. on a long run, one would expect to see some kind of farewells. The cast all got theirs, and one of the key characters spent 10 MINUTES with his 3 year old boy on the stage. What really shocked me was not one word of thanks or acknowledgment to the crew. I love family and all that -- but I thought it was a real ego stroke to this guy that he engaged in something that has NOTHING to do with the show.

no need for the crew to actually show up - although in the right circumstance it can be funny. the last show of an Amy Grant tour I did, almost 2 years, was prank night. self-propelled windup toys scampering across the stage, paper airplanes,you name it. At the end, Amy called every crewmember on stage and presented them, one by one, with a signed and framed Platinum Album from the tour. I still have that. :)

so to recap, I think it is appropriate for the crew to be acknowledged and thanked, just not on stg. unless someone who's paying you politely asks!

peace,

Tim O

I have to go with the majority with this one... it's a BIG NO NO... Even way back in my high school day there was no way this practice would be tolerated. As many have already said, it's just no the professional thing to do.

One group I'm with has pictures of all the cast AND crew in the program... seeing as I'm about as unlikely to be on that side of the camera as I am to walk out on a stage I merly have a black silhouette, and at the end of my blurb it says "Although he likes to remain silent and in the dark he keeps us heard and lit" ... I though it was cute.

Alan.

This was the old saying around our theatre, "Bows are for Actors, Checks are for techs!" Let them bow, a great actor still has to audition for the show, a great tech is already working on it.

It's kinda funny. While I've been sitting here and reading ALL the comments about this topic for about the past two hours or so, I finally looked up from my computer and saw two pictures in my office, given to me after the close of "GREASE" and "GUYS AND DOLLS" several years ago. The pictures are framed, and surrounding the cast pictures in the frames are signatures of all the cast members, crew, and directors of these great productions. The wonderful and priceless memories that these pictures brought to mind made me stop for a moment, cry, and remember why I am involved (as a lighting designer/electrician/operator) with this outstanding group of people in this wonderful workplace which we call a theater. It's done because we enjoy our craft, and we share our abilities with other people who have different abilities, with the end result being the desire to bring a few moments of enjoyment to our audiences that grace our house. And when I go backstage and shut off the dimmer rack after the final production, I look forward to the opening of another show, and the opportunity to work with other people and see our theater filled with our guests.

Kinda silly, and shmaltzy (sp.?), I guess, but the pictures are a reminder to me that there is something more than simply being called to the stage to receive praise.

Mike

On Shows I've done, at the end when the cast is all on stage after curtain down, he will thank the crew and the cast will applaud and the like. Almost better that the audience, because they are the ones who see us nail ourselvs to the set, burn and electrocute ourselves, and they appreciate it more that the audience.

And yes, that was all metaphorical...... I hope! :-@

I take back what I said earlier in this thread. No curtain call for crew ever.

No. Should not ever happen.

Our director for Les Mis called the entire booth crew and stage crew on to the stage, the funny thing was that he also called down his spot op :doh:. And this was after I had mentioned to him that I never wanted to set foot on stage infront of an audience, I have acted once and can't stand being in front of all the people. Especially while wearing blacks.

Just my 2c. :grin:

I say no to curtain calls for anyone but the actors unless it is a long-running show that is ending. It does look unprofessional, and honestly, the crew is needed elsewhere to do their jobs, which technically don't end until the entire audience is out.

I say no to curtain calls for anyone but the actors unless it is a long-running show that is ending. It does look unprofessional, and honestly, the crew is needed elsewhere to do their jobs, which technically don't end until the entire audience is out.

Plus, I dont know about all of you, but I burn in light, so I wont do it. A nice little name in the program with a credit next to the other designers is pretty much all I really want, along with money/class credit. If you really want recognition, attend the champagne reception after opening night and talk to people.

Just experienced my first ever crew curtain call with my son's school production of Peter Pan. I felt it was actually somewhat appropriate being that the flying is a part of the character of Pan. But I got on and off as FAST as possible. All my years of professionalism flushed down the drain.

At the end of our show, the cast makes it a point to call me out (I am the adult who directs the technical side of things - call me the technical director, I guess, although I prefer "fireman.") on stage. I hate it, but I come out, do a quick wave, and then get offstage. Particularly because at that point, I have taken over for my student stage manager as far as calling when to bring in the grand, etc. since things are now getting rather impromptu. This year I tried to be proactive and told them I preferred not to be called out onstage, but if they had to acknowledge anyone from the crew, please do that for the stage manager and the run crew manager, as they are the ones who have put in the most work by far (including myself). They still called me out, but at least they also called out the SM and RCM.

This weekend I saw a high school show, and at the end, AFTER the actors, the crew came out and took a bow. I had a real issue with this, because as tech, our job is to make the performers shine. Tradition is that the cast comes out in order of importance, with the stars of the show taking their bows last. To have the crew come out after them just did not seem right.

However, in both that case and in mine, we are in a high school situation. Although we do our best to be professional, we are not. And these kids - cast and crew alike, have worked hard. Parents like to be proud of their kids. So, if directors have crew come out to be acknowleged, I don't see the problem.

In my school, the crew always comes out on closing night and the SM gives the director a gift from the cast and crew.

At our school, the student heads of each department (lighting, sound, stage, costumes, props) come out and bow. (unfortunately I'm one of them and I get dragged on against my will.) Everybody else remains in their 'dark corners.'

The techs just did this at my theatre for the last production and I was NOT impressed/pleased with their impromptu decision. Although some of the audience members thought it was "cute" / "clever idea" and i heard no complaints about it... I am against the notion entirely. Its just not professional.

(high school setting)
For me, there's a big difference between acknowledgement and bows. I hate bows. For one thing, techies are generally nowhere near the stage when bows are happening. Bows are the first real chance we get to have backstage entirely clear of actors and it's nice to start being able to go through after show checklists immediately. Secondly, there's the issue of when they would bow, as mentioned above.
What the cast does by tradition at my school is acknowledge the sound/light/sm during the musicals. The boards are all at the top of the house, so when they point back, the audience sees, claps, etc. These thanks happen after the conductor/band bows and before the final full company bow, so it's in a pretty logical place

Someone said earlier, "bows are for actors and cheques are for techs."
Bows are appropriate under certain circumstances for HS techs because they don't get paid. That said, stage hands don't really need a bow, yes they did put in a week of work, but the SM and TD deserve more. SO I am okay with dept. heads taking bows but not general crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back