Curtain call for crew?

Should the Technical Crew appear onstage for the curtain call?

• Total voters
I work as the TD for a high school, and they have curtain call for crew. Some of them really enjoy this, and some not so much. I believe it should be left up to the crew. I like the idea of doing something creative.. someone mentioned flying a sign in, I think that's great! I am actually going to suggest something like that for our next show.
But a fun discussion.

THX- Jeremy

In relation to this topic, a HS show I recently went to had one, and the people from my college's jaws hit the floor. There were probably 50 or 60 people dressed in black for the relatively simple show (2 set pieces moving the entire time on the deck, 1 piece flys in and out, and the main came in and out, maybe 3 or 4 quickchanges in costume land), but we have trouble finding 2 or 3 people to run the show! I was seriously impressed that A, they had that many people, and that B, they managed to keep quiet for a 2 and change hour show.

Being up top with the board, I can't go down for bows and I don't think I'd like to anyway. Last year we made a cue for the end where the movers would go to the back at us - that was fun! ;)

I agree that tech does not bow, but in a high school setting, credit and affirmation are very important.

At the High School where I am TD, opening night is a Gala, followed by food and drink. After the final bow and curtain, the director comes out on stage and introduces everyone who has worked on the production, from all the parents, to every crew member.

It accomplishes two things. The crew kids get credit and a hand from their parents and friends, and it kills time while the actors get changed and get to the gala.

And we just nod and smile...no bows.

Also, in our booth I take a pictures of every show, and print the names of all the crew that worked on it. They are framed and mounted on the walls of the booth for the crew to admire their work.

Last edited:
At our HS, when the tech is in their sr year they get the option to bow for their last show. It has to be the musical of their sr year, not a sophomore who decided they're done.

On the first day of tech week, our Director acknowledges all the other directors/choreographers/designers and thanks them.
On closing night, the lead actor presents all the directors and designers with flowers.

I'm just excited because this year our SM is going on stage for bows, so I get to call the end of the show. :D

I do a HS production every year that is top notch, straight musical revue. They have at least 15 to 18 musicians and 30 cast members. At the end the director comes out and thanks everyone involved behind the scenes including flowers, awards and other time consuming things. It is the biggest energy drain I have ever seen. You have a very good high energy show that ends with a huge production number and then 15 to 20 minutes of crap that the audience has to endure. All that should be done at the cast party.

Last edited:
You have a very good high energy show that ends with a huge production number and then 15 to 290 minutes of crap that the audience has to endure. All that should be done at the cast party.

I agree. Cast parties are fun.

I do a HS production every year that is top notch, straight musical revue. They have at least 15 to 18 musicians and 30 cast members. At the end the director comes out and thanks everyone involved behind the scenes including flowers, awards and other time consuming things. It is the biggest energy drain I have ever seen. You have a very good high energy show that ends with a huge production number and then 15 to 290 minutes of crap that the audience has to endure. All that should be done at the cast party.

I agree. At max, the director should get flowers on closing night after the show is over. That's it.

At the high school level I absolutely insist on a tech crew curtain call. These are students who volunteer their time to be a part of the show and bust their ass in the process. They deserve to be recognized. Their teachers and community need to see them. They need to see how many people it took to put the show on. Student musicians in the pit also need to be in curtain call.

For any new members who have anything to add, feel free to do so.

I don't think I've posted here before, and I liked that crew was onstage for CYT shows. For more professional(ish) shows, I don't think the crew needs to be onstage. We know we've done a good job based on how well the actors could do their job. (because a nude mime in a dark, bare room doesn't sell)

And most of us don't need to have applause to feel good.

Help me out here, what happens if you're a high school director who doesn't believe in tech curtain calls but the techies ask for it? How would you handle that?

Help me out here, what happens if you're a high school director who doesn't believe in tech curtain calls but the techies ask for it? How would you handle that?

Welcome to CB! Take a few minutes and introduce yourself in the New Members forum for a proper introduction.

I think you could probably make a compromise, and allow those who wanted to, to have a curtain call after the last show only, and those who didn't want to or couldn't, like lights and sound, to just stay where they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For any new members who have anything to add, feel free to do so.

I don't think I've posted here before, and I liked that crew was onstage for CYT shows. For more professional(ish) shows, I don't think the crew needs to be onstage. We know we've done a good job based on how well the actors could do their job. (because a nude mime in a dark, bare room doesn't sell)

And most of us don't need to have applause to feel good.

Well it depends on what she looks like :D

Tell them to audition for the next show ;).

exactly, having their name in the program in high school is plenty for a high school tech.

[-]We'll I'm ASSuming you haven't worked in a pro field for touring or such,[/-] I'd tell them that while it may boost their ego's it really isn't anything special. Also to note is not a single technician who has come through on a tour or any of us house guys have gone out on curtain call. If your doing it for the audience your doing it for the wrong reasons.

As a once very, very smart director once told me. "It's not about you in the art, It's about the art in you." - F. Pope

Last edited:
As long as my name is in the same font and size and on the same line as the set and costume designers, I am fine.

But, we were also taught in college that there is a tradition in opera where the designers have to come on opening night (in suits or tuxes) and take a curtain call. I don't know if this is true, but we did it for every opera we designed.

As long as my name is in the same font and size and on the same line as the set and costume designers, I am fine.

But, we were also taught in college that there is a tradition in opera where the designers have to come on opening night (in suits or tuxes) and take a curtain call. I don't know if this is true, but we did it for every opera we designed.

Never seen that and I have worked with a few opera companys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back