Curtain call for crew?

Should the Technical Crew appear onstage for the curtain call?

• Total voters
In my High School the actors always point at our tech booth and run crew and stage manager always go on stage at the end of our shows with the exception of anyone who still has to work (the person running curtain, board ops, followspot ops, etc). As far as I'm concerned its unnecessary in a professional setting but if it's a gig where I'm not getting paid (ie. the theatrical shows and battle of the bands at my high school) I would like some type of recognition at the end of the show. Nothing sucks more then when the director of our drama only talked about the amount of work the actors did on closing night of a show we programmed with 250 sfx cues and 500 lighting cues and had spent several nights at the theatre until 1am when the director had left at 6.

I agree though at anything outside of high school theatre there's no reason for crew to come on stage though it would be nice if actors pointed back at the tech booth a little more. I also distinctly remember the SM of Jersey Boys coming out at the end of the show and waving when I saw it.

I agree though that

Never seen that and I have worked with a few opera companys.

We do that here (Opera Australia) - but only if it's the first performance of a brand-new production. So many of our shows are remounts that it doesn't happen very often, but every now and again we get all the designers and the director on stage. Personally I absolutely hate hate hate the "indicate the crew" thing in a curtain call. Get the orchestra to their feet, yes, but I reckon that when the cast point to a random window at the back of the auditorium, 90% of the audience have no idea who they're actually clapping for. So long as my name is in the program (and hopefully the director and cast appreciate my work!) then I'm happy. One particularly hellish tech week, I was dealing with a long line of actors with queries at the end of a dress rehearsal, very late in the evening. I got to the last one, who promptly climbed over the production desk to hug me and tell me I was doing an amazing job. I don't need any more than that!

I'm a high school SM, and we're a bit like most people here - a bit of tradition (no techs seen) and a bit of them coming out on stage. While we don't do it for musicals, we do get indicated by the cast/a lead, and on closing night the crew comes out on stage during the speeches by the director et al.

Crew usually gets indicated or thanked at concerts and in closing night speeches, and we've been known to pull a blackout on directors who failed to mention us.

Do I think crew need to be thanked? Yes. Should they come out on stage during the curtain call? Heck no. But until I've found a better way to make sure everyone knows what a stellar job my people have done, the closing night appearance is the compromise I'm making.

I think that it is okay to have middle school tech students bow. I also allow my techs to bow on the closing night at the high school level, if they so choose. To often in my schools environment if students are working tech they dehumanized so I try to keep the fact they are working and showing there craft as well. We are also moving towards more of an ensamble model where tech and actors are collaborating and working together on all facits of the production.

Wow. This thread is more than six years old and still it gets replies.
I posted about a year and a half ago, but as I am reading these posts, get a little older, etc. sometimes things change.
I guess I am of the view that as a stage crew we are there to serve the audience and the performers. So, whatever that means, we will do. Sometimes a cast wants to thank us for our work. Although perhaps uncomfortable, to not do as they ask - even if it means going onstage - goes against our mission as crew members. They view what they are doing as a good thing by thanking us. We are assisting them even there. Is that so bad? What is more important: insisting we always be unseen, or helping out the cast/audience in whatever capacity that may be?

Lights Up, Cast Bows, Motion to pit, motion to booth, motion to wings, final bow, close curtain. The End.

That's what we have always done, although on closing night the director liked to have the crew who could come on stage for a bow and a thank you (my director would include flowers for my crew chief). that's not a bad thing, but I always made sure they knew that they were not done working, since curtains still needed to be pulled and light cues still run. Most of my crews didn't really want to, anyway.

I was really torn on what to vote for this. I voted no, for the sake of professionalism. But I think it really all depends on what level the show is at. When I was in middle school, the director always made sure that the crew came out for a bow, and I thought that was fitting. But in high school, that practice has disappeared. Although, every year our school has "Broadway Night," which is a mainly student run show where we write our own skits and perform Broadway songs, and the crew is always invited to choreograph their own number. It's really their chance to shine. This is what they did a few years back: It starts around 40 seconds. And I apologize for the audio quality! Broadway Night 2OO9; Stage Crew Act (Skit & Song) - YouTube

At the middle school level, I think it is fine. Beyond that, I say no. I do think that a director should be sure to make sure the crew and their contributions are recognized. Perhaps mention them in a curtain speech (if you do one). I have even seen schools just allow bios in the program for crew only. The thought is that the performers are already recognized and their contributions to the show are (or should be) obvious. I think the burden here is on the director to be sure they receive their due, but a curtain call should not be the vehicle in which to do it.

~Dave

This is what they did a few years back: It starts around 40 seconds. And I apologize for the audio quality! Broadway Night 2OO9; Stage Crew Act (Skit & Song) - YouTube

This reminds me of my old program/job, where we had a night after the show where everyone came to the theater, and the cast and company watched the crew put on a short, comedic interpretation of the show. It usually mocked most of the plot points and made light of humorous audience members, or generally funny theater personalities. Occasionally there was a reference to rocky horror. Usually it was R rated.It was a fun way for the crew to get out there and be part of the company, but also be able to do the work. Come to think of it, IN the last 5 shows we did the crew was in some way under, in, or on top of the set, and would have to drop a ladder or come out a hatch to get into the playing space...

Re: Our School

So like everyone else has said, the crew should be thanked by the cast after the performance, when the house is clear and things are winding down. Even better, the cast could show their thanks by helping us with the get out! :p

that would be absolutely amazing! while we are hauling out tech gear from the theater after the last show, the actors get to go to a party...................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back