Custom Button Boxes

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
I'm working on designing a few different version of a custom button box. Think of it as an x-keys... but layed out in an actual logical way with nice big buttons. Example below for some race timing software. I'm going to do one for Q-Lab of course. What other software would be useful? It shows up as a keyboard, so anything that you can do with hotkeys is possible. What Q-Lab buttons would be useful? I know what I think... but curious what everyone else would want. After I get a few different ones figured out I'll be selling them for around 50 bucks.
pxl_20210519_022830867-jpg.21937

Attachments

• PXL_20210519_022830867.jpg
    PXL_20210519_022830867.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 350
I have an X Key for Qlab, I only have mapped the Go, Stop/pause, Next and Previous buttons.

I think anything else would benefit from someone grabbing the mouse and controlling that way as you're probably editing something at that point

I have a custom-built hotkey box as well just for general computing. I utilize Keyboard Maestro to link to actions. This implementation is very flexible and allows assignments of macros (sequences of events) on a global or per-software basis.

I have a custom-built hotkey box as well just for general computing. I utilize Keyboard Maestro to link to actions. This implementation is very flexible and allows assignments of macros (sequences of events) on a global or per-software basis.
Can keyboard maestro open a set group of windows, all arranged? I'm thinking like a simple podcast setup where it opens Skype, audio hijack, safari, and chrome with google sheets with one button press.
I feel like there's been plenty of virtual events where doing window management on a laptop we ship out along with a usb mic and headset would do wonders.

Also for the box, would it work on Windows for MA on PC?

Can keyboard maestro open a set group of windows, all arranged? I'm thinking like a simple podcast setup where it opens Skype, audio hijack, safari, and chrome with google sheets with one button press.
I feel like there's been plenty of virtual events where doing window management on a laptop we ship out along with a usb mic and headset would do wonders.

Also for the box, would it work on Windows for MA on PC?

Yeah, Keyboard Maestro has "activate application" and "move application window" actions. I don't have any personal experience using them.

My little macro box was a complete DIY build. I used 5 Cherry MX switches (a sample pack from 1up keyboards), an Arudino Pro Micro with a simple script to emulate F13 -17 key strokes, and my 3D printer for a case. I believe it is cross-platform compatible.

I then use Keyboard Maestro to assign actions to the hot key press. The software is mac only. I think AutoHotKey or similar could help on the windows side, but unsure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back