Customer Service/Gel Swatchbooks

Also Kelite, is there even an apollo dealer in STL?

Cine does not carry it but they do carry Lee and Rosco. According to apollo's site...
Alobar's Lighting & Sound
716 Hanley Industrial Court,
St. Louis, MO 63144
PH: (314)781-7600

As to the "We pay for drafting templates and software" thats a different thing all together. Even though I do own an ETC branded template that ONLY features ETC fixtures, lighting templates are not made by the lighting companies. They are made by 3rd party companies. Having a template does not effect the fixture choices I will make for a given show. Having a swatch book does change what I will be purchasing for a given show.

That's true. Drafting templates may be a stretch while they don't directly influence your purchasing, but fabric samples from Rose Brand are still paid for by the customer and I wouldn't order a single piece of fabric from them without first looking at a sample of the material. I ordered a sample from them a couple a weeks ago and didn't think twice about paying for it.

Wow- you guys are really good at posting while I'm at home asleep!

I think most of you 'seasoned' theatrical folks remember that from 1992-1995 Apollo only made and sold custom gobos. The original name 'Apollo Custom' was derived from our one and only product line- custom steel gobos. Standard steel patterns were introduced in 1995 / 1996.

As black and white glass became available in 1998 (and I have the etched holes in my old work shirts to prove it!), the CMYK colored glass product was introduced at LDI 1999 in Orlando. Our name changed at this time to Apollo Design Technology to better reflect the DMX lighting accessories and peripheral items gaining space within our facility and yearly catalogs.

Gel followed in 2000 with our first 100 gel transmissions, and has grown to 150 colors which include color corrections and diffusions. The swatchbook itself has transitioned from a mere assortment of color swatches into a full lighting primer, including color density data, transmission %, Possible Uses/Suggestions, Color Description and Color Interaction Data on the back of each identification slip between the colors.

The cost for us to produce each gel swatchbook is in the neighborhood of $8.75 per gel swatchbook. This is a far cry from a 'few bucks a book' as some might think. As a manufacturer of all kinds of stuff, we work with a local bookmaker to print the covers and other data, cut and coallate each gel sheet and identification sheet, drill the holes for the hinge post, and assemble.

We too have been swamped with scrapbookers and photographers finding ads for 'free stuff' on a number of web sites. To keep our costs down, we verify who is who and who does what. We know those of you reading this post are the real deal because you are here.

Anyway, Melissa and I thank you for the kind words and ask that you let us know how we can help you with the lighting challenges each of you tackle on a regular basis. We're here because we care.

;)

for a free sample/catalog/T-shirt/swatchbook/whatever

Honestly, even though I'm a student, the free stuff actually does influence my preferences over brands of fixtures, gel, etc. The "Periodic Table of Element" poster on the wall behind me is a great example, along with the hundreds of pages worth of ETC catalogs I have. Although I would still love ETC products even without the promotional stuff, it's got to be good for helping sales.

I think that companies could probably sell shirts and stuff if it was more than just a shirt with a Selador/Selecon/Vari-Lite logo. Great example: I would buy the "Life is a freakshow, we just do the lighting" Vari-Lite shirt anyday if I could find someone selling it. And Vari-Lite gets advertising. Win-win.

It's honestly a miracle that all the major filter manufacturers are still giving away swatch books at all.

To the person who suggested the cost to produce a swatch book was "about a buck at most", you've obviously never spent any time around a print shop and the involved process it takes to get (in the case of the rosco book) ~200 pages printed, then aligned them properly and in order with the gel, the cost of the gel, then have it all cut, bound, and packaged.

I would estimate that it is costing Rosco about $6-$10 per swatch book.

Shipping even via USPS is still going to come out to a $1.50 or so, plus packaging at another $1, and then the *real cost* of an employee (hint: not what they're getting paid per hour) to fill out the packaging slip, print the label, package the product, ect.

If you called me just out of the blue and asked for a free swatch book, I'd charge you the same $6-7 bucks for shipping because that is what it would cost me to ship it to you. Now if you had a good relationship with me I would happily eat that cost because ultimately I know the benefit of it in the long run.

Is it great that some manufacturers are sending out swatch books free of charge? Yes, be glad that they're willing to eat that cost.

Is it understandable that Rosco doesn't want to just freely throw $15 out the window to every tom dick and harry that fills out a simple online form to get free samples? Absolutely. The swatch books are still free from the hundreds if not thousands of dealers across the US, likely the same place you're buying your gel from.

all.

To the person who suggested the cost to produce a swatch book was "about a buck at most", you've obviously never spent any time around a print shop and the involved process it takes to get (in the case of the rosco book) ~200 pages printed, then aligned them properly and in order with the gel, the cost of the gel, then have it all cut, bound, and packaged.
I would estimate that it is costing Rosco about $6-$10 per swatch book.

Shipping even via USPS is still going to come out to a $1.50 or so, plus packaging at another $1, and then the *real cost* of an employee (hint: not what they're getting paid per hour) to fill out the packaging slip, print the label, package the product, ect.

I.

That was my quote about a buck a book, and - no, I've never spent a minute in a print shop, so can only say thanks for the correction and a thanks to Keith at Apollo for the info as well and I'll stop lamenting the loss of the free gel book.

Maybe I'll e-bay my Cinemoid book from 1970 to buy a few Lee and Rosco current books.... (JK).

Steve B.

Great example: I would buy the "Life is a freakshow, we just do the lighting" Vari-Lite shirt anyday if I could find someone selling it.

I'll sell you mine, for... *Dr Evil Voice* ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS :twisted:

Seriously though, you're right... Swag has potential to influence sales to a serious extent... That's not to say it's the sole basis for a decision, or indeed a factor in the majority of sale... But if a $25 T-shirt helps you sell 5% more of your $3000 lights... I'd say it's a worthwhile investment.

The counter your second point though... Sales of the swag would negate any benefit garnered by including it free with purchases... At that point, Vari-Lite et al would be simply hocking t-shirts on the side...

I'll sell you mine, for... *Dr Evil Voice* ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS :twisted:

Seriously though, you're right... Swag has potential to influence sales to a serious extent... That's not to say it's the sole basis for a decision, or indeed a factor in the majority of sale... But if a $25 T-shirt helps you sell 5% more of your $3000 lights... I'd say it's a worthwhile investment.

The counter your second point though... Sales of the swag would negate any benefit garnered by including it free with purchases... At that point, Vari-Lite et al would be simply hocking t-shirts on the side...

Well, I feel that sending free stuff at the interest stage does increase the chance to make a sale tho... For example, I need some new gels for the next show I am doing, and Apollo sending a free swatch book and gobo catalouge makes me more interested in utilizing their products, to the point where thats the first place that I am looking for gel and gobos. If I was looking at MLs, I would be more likely to be interested in a product whos seller sends me stuff and is interested in me owning it. Quite frankly, a free t-shirt and a call from the distributor is a large factor, because they show interest in your sale, even if it is only going to be 4-5 units. If they show interest now, I feel more comfortable calling them up when I have an issue. I feel like a t-shirt or swatch book can make a huge difference just because of the interest in your show/company that it shows.

It always depends on who you are as well. I never have a problem getting Rosco swatch books sent to me for free. Then again, while we aren't a dealer, we keep a full stock of 10-20 sheets of every Rosco color. It's a lot easier for us to just replenish what we used during the year in August than to pay for rush shipping to Montana for every show.

That being said, I love Apollo's book. It is by far the cleanest and comprehensive book out there. I just wish there wasn't that 5 sheet minimum because I would probably use it more often but it's hard squeezing in 5 sheets in a show budget when I only need 1 or 2. Our show budgets reflect the stock we have so they assume we won't be purchasing gel. I know that I could sure use some Hot Wings here soon.

Well, I feel that sending free stuff at the interest stage does increase the chance to make a sale tho... For example, I need some new gels for the next show I am doing, and Apollo sending a free swatch book and gobo catalouge makes me more interested in utilizing their products, to the point where thats the first place that I am looking for gel and gobos. If I was looking at MLs, I would be more likely to be interested in a product whos seller sends me stuff and is interested in me owning it. Quite frankly, a free t-shirt and a call from the distributor is a large factor, because they show interest in your sale, even if it is only going to be 4-5 units. If they show interest now, I feel more comfortable calling them up when I have an issue. I feel like a t-shirt or swatch book can make a huge difference just because of the interest in your show/company that it shows.

Well now... See... Hrm...

There comes a line...

Rosco/Apollo/Lee/GAM sending me Gel Books and Gobo Catalogues, will influence my purchasing decision, but not because they sent me free stuff... Simply because I have the information I need at my fingertips... If I don't have to go hunting for it, the better.

If I called my local distributor and asked about Martin Moving Lights, the last thing I'd expect them to send me would be a T-Shirt and a Pen... A nice colour glossy brochure on each of the most popular MAC Fixtures, however, would definately help my purchasing decision... It would also enable me to plop something down on my GM's desk and say 'Hey, look at what this can do!'

Don't get me wrong, I love swag as much as the next guy... So does my other half, or she wouldn't have a mousepad :lol:... But if we're talking pre-purchase swag, I'm going to expect it to be sale-related... The fun stuff should arrive once you've given them money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back