Stoldal

Supergel #124: Red Cyc Silk
Supergel #125: Blue Cyc Silk
Supergel #126: Green Cyc Silk

Are these good gels for RGB cyc set up?

Are there better gels to use.

Thanks Always

Matt S

Those shouldn't be bad.. I prefer to use Yellow actually instead of Green. I find it gives me better color on stage (After reading alot of threads on this site I'm sure someone's going to reem me here for saying that)

Its just that as alot of people know, Green tends to make people look dead in a sense. It doesn't bring out the best of skin tones. By all means the colors you selected will be alright and he is right, you are going to have a hard time getting a good Amber.. We have some Theatre's here in Branson that actually use an Amber instead of the Green itself and it actually makes does pretty well when mixing some ole 9 cell cycs..

It just boils down to the color tones you are going to try to achieve. If you can experiment with some different gels, like a light red and/or a sky blue and/or magenta and/or primary blues and reds it might be beneficial for you. But if you don't really care too much about it. The colors you have chosen should be just fine. Just there are some directors out there that are pretty demanding in their color schemes which is perfectly understandable, just sometimes it can be a pain in the butt when it comes to RGB mixing of Cyc's.

EDIT: You can actually get the most color combinations out of your mixing if you choose to do CMY.. But I don't know very many people that use CMY for their Cyc's, especially here in town. Im an RGB man myself, but I think that comes from my heavy interest when I was younger with web development and web based graphics.

Last edited:
Supergel is a variant of Roscolux sold in non-North American markets. In the US, we use the original.

In order to recommend specific colors, we would need to know: type & quantity of cyc fixtures, trim ht., distance to cyc, size of cyc. The cyc diffusions can be very useful but in some circumstances, the non-frosted, or the silk, primaries would be a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back