Cyc light

Have the Chauvet Ovation C-640FC myself and they are RGBAW, use the Amber ALL the time. But yes, do use the white as well especially for those pale or grey blue skies. I don't think I'd like to do without the Amber, just use ambers so much myself.

I can get all the colors I want from an RGBW fixture. (Feel free to disagree.)

I really feel like the amber is pretty useful on a cyc. When combined with the blue LEDs, it lets me get some of the lavender range that I often use that isn't possible to get with just red and blue LEDs. And it makes great ambers and oranges that you can't get with just red and green. White is the wrong fourth color for cycs. I agree with Les that the RGBA SpectraCyc is a fantastic unit and was the unit I recommended until I saw the Chauvet C-805FC in person. The Spectra Cycs are still a better ground cyc unit because of the C-805FC's height, but the C-805FC makes a better sky cyc replacement. And the addition of lime adds even more possible colors, such as the aforementioned steel blue and other lighter colors both cool and warm.

Can you get a good amber? I have SpectraCyc's in my space, which are RGBA. I can't recall ever needing a bright white cyc, but I use the amber channel quite a bit. I do wish the blue was a bit deeper but I am happy with the Altmans over all.
Late reply (sorry, off lighting Billy Elliot @ PacRep in Carmel-by-the-Sea): Yes, the amber is pretty good -- I can match Roscolux 22 in my conventional downlights. The Congo blue is not like Lee 181, but I can cope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back