The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Design Issues and Solutions D.I.Y. Gobos

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by jonliles, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jonliles

jonliles Active Member Fight Leukemia

Has anyone had any exeperince with using "household" objects to make DIY gobos? Such as Pie Pans or maybe transparency film, etc...How did you mount them? Gobo Slot? Gel frame? please tell me of successes and failures and unexpected results. Really, anything used to make a gobo.

Thanks,
    Jon

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

3. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

Punch and twist is one of my standard gobos.... take a screw driver... and punch.. and twist....

4. MNicolai

MNicolai Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Consultant
    For metal stock, most hardware stores carry small pieces of sheet metal or aluminum ducting. For $8, today I bought a piece of light gauge aluminum that can get me 10 A-size gobos, maybe 12 if I push it.

If you use aluminum though, up the thickness a little bit from that of a soda can because the infamous soda can gobos tend to soften up under the heat pretty easily. Go figure.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  5. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

If you want CHEAP gobos, go buy some radiator grate at your local hardware store. You would be amazed how good it looks and how cheap it is. [media]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2036/2204280189_4138ab4e99.jpg[/media]

6. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

I've used this one (CloverLeaf or QuatreFoil) in productions ranging from The Mikado to Shakespeare.
    [​IMG]

In researching another topic, I found this (from this document):
    3. Do you know anyone who makes his own printed circuit boards? Step#3 from 6. How do I make my own gobos? is doable, but results can be unpredictable. Hazardous Chemicals Involved! Follow all Safety procedures! quarterfront describes alternate chemicals Still Dangerous! in this thread: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/8669-gobos-how-make.html.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  7. MNicolai

MNicolai Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Consultant
    I'm making B-Size gobos, and having just drawn them all out on a sheet of 8x18 aluminum, I have room for 15 gobos, for $8 plus my own labor. Not bad. I also found out the bottom of a can of Aquanet happens to be exactly the same size as the image diameter of a B-size gobo.