Dam Busters

jonjon

Hi All

have heard this term used a few time now but never wanted to feel silly asking... But what are dam busters and when/why are they used?

thanks guys.

Hi All

have heard this term used a few time now but never wanted to feel silly asking... But what are dam busters and when/why are they used?

thanks guys.
G'day down under; writing from the top side in another of the colonies.
I've never heard dam busters used in a theatrical sense, shin busters, yes. Dam busters no.
In ballet / dance lighting, shin busters are cross lights on side booms approximately shin height above the dance floor.

Dam Busters is the title of a famous old movie about how the 'good guys' managed to accurately position their bomber at precisely the correct altitude to bounce their bomb across the water's surface to destroy the dam thus flooding the 'bad guys' and winning the battle.
I'm sure Google can tell you more than you wanted to know about the film.

Brief description. The aviators positioned two bright spotlights, one under each wing. such that their beams intersected in a circle on the water's surface when their altitude was precisely correct.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Hi Ron

Thanks for your reply that's what I got too which just unfortunately confuses me more... maybe I should ask not time I hear it and see what they say it is. Maybe is some gaff Australian term which is called something else everywhere else?

Do you have some context in how it was used and if there was emphasis on one word or the other. If there was a pause between Damn and Buster. Lots of questions. Fun topic for the day.

Swerve time, but what does "gaff" mean in Australia? Is it something special?

"Damn, Buster Keaton was really funny! I don't think there's a physical comedian like him today!"
Or this

I must apologize it was supposed to be naff not gaff but 'dam' auto correct !!!

the context was in the realm of a preset on a console labelled dam busters. So I feel it has something to do with a focus preset or a way to help keep things focused? but this could be wrong. clearly it is an Australian term for something else as I am gathering here.

and to answer gaff in Australia refers to the tape gaffers 436 by nashua or other cheap imitations. it can sometimes also refer to a verbal slip up not in an "entertainment / showbiz context.

Well having watched a documentary on the bombs, they were cylindrical and bounced and rolled on the waters surface until they struck the dam, hopefully breaching the top and then nature and hydraulics take over from there. Large cylindrical light??

My uncle explained they were cranked up with a reverse spin, skipped over the torpedo nets, hit the dams and spun down deep enough to do some damage.

Well having watched a documentary on the bombs, they were cylindrical and bounced and rolled on the waters surface until they struck the dam, hopefully breaching the top and then nature and hydraulics take over from there. Large cylindrical light??
No; large. cylindrical, HEAVY. The two spotlights cast round beams.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back