Damaged cyc

msawyer52

Is there anyway to repair the damaged cyc? Someone got something on the cyc and they tried to clean it off. The color/fire retardant has been damaged. Looks like an alien standing behind the cyc. Any suggestions or do we have to bite the bullet and replace it?
IMG_20230304_121328356.jpg

If have not already, call the manufacturer for guidance. These are typically vinyl based materials and have different cleaning requirements. I fear this may not be revoverable.

This looks like muslin, right? If it's in good enough shape to hold up to a washing, then cleaning the whole thing might make it match the part someone so helpfully made cleaner. Obviously that would require a very large washing machine and it would need to be re-treated with flame retardant afterward, so you'd be looking at sending it to a shop that specializes in that sort of thing. I have no idea what that might cost, but if it's nearing its end of life anyway, it may not be worth it.

I explored cleaning a few years back and found a company that will bring a truck to your venue and clean all of your drapes in one go. It wasn't cheap, but their suggestion was to try and partner up with multiple sites to split the travel costs. They would clean and retreat on site, but he did mention that some shrinkage would occur.

I can't remember the specific costs, but it was cheaper than a new cyc. It was close enough though that it did not make sense to get it cleaned unless we also did all of our drapes too. Ended up not going forward with the process. https://www.onsitedraperycleaner.com/

As has been said, the fire retardancy has been compromised and retreating or replacing the whole drop would be the prudent thing.

To my knowledge any field retreatment is going to have a much more limited life than the original. The ones I know of only have a 1-3 years warranty on reapplied flame retardant. even with a reapplication, without washing there is no way to guarantee you'll get the color to look right.

To my knowledge any field retreatment is going to have a much more limited life than the original. The ones I know of only have a 1-3 years warranty on reapplied flame retardant. even with a reapplication, without washing there is no way to guarantee you'll get the color to look right.
As usual there is limited to no budget for replacement. Was hoping we could minimize the look. Will just have to live with it and put it up for replacement in the future budgets. Thanks

Reactions: Van
Thinking outside the box here.. We paint drops... what about a good spray with fire retardant paint of some sort? No experience to rely on on this just brainstorming

Reactions: Van
I explored cleaning a few years back and found a company that will bring a truck to your venue and clean all of your drapes in one go. It wasn't cheap, but their suggestion was to try and partner up with multiple sites to split the travel costs. They would clean and retreat on site, but he did mention that some shrinkage would occur.

I can't remember the specific costs, but it was cheaper than a new cyc. It was close enough though that it did not make sense to get it cleaned unless we also did all of our drapes too. Ended up not going forward with the process. https://www.onsitedraperycleaner.com/

As has been said, the fire retardancy has been compromised and retreating or replacing the whole drop would be the prudent thing.

We use On-Site for our drapery cleaning and fire proofing, they come in every five years and supply us with a certificate that keeps the fire inspectors happy.

Their process doesn't use water though, so that may not solve OPs staining issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back