Danger of 'prop' gun

Seems this was a community theatre organization- always rife with the possibility of danger (but we all know there are excellent ones out there as well.) I'll bet dollars to donuts not a single pro was on the crew, if there even was one.

Currently I am loading/tending to 18 rounds of .38cal rounds nightly, along with four (4) full load rounds of 12 gauge cartridges. These are ALL 'blanks', but it don't mean they are empty! And just to give you an idea, the gauge shells register 120dB or higher every time I squeeze the trigger. "C'mere. Stand in front of this." Uh, that'd be a "NO", Bob.

No, the folks in question weren't young n' stupid. They were older n' stupid.

Seems this was a community theatre organization- always rife with the possibility of danger (but we all know there are excellent ones out there as well.) I'll bet dollars to donuts not a single pro was on the crew, if there even was one.

Currently I am loading/tending to 18 rounds of .38cal rounds nightly, along with four (4) full load rounds of 12 gauge cartridges. These are ALL 'blanks', but it don't mean they are empty! And just to give you an idea, the gauge shells register 120dB or higher every time I squeeze the trigger. "C'mere. Stand in front of this." Uh, that'd be a "NO", Bob.

No, the folks in question weren't young n' stupid. They were older n' stupid.

Hey Rigger... (without crossing any CB boundaries or your own employer's trade secrets) could you share a little about the safety procedures and protocols you and the cast follow. I keep trying to ram home the point that it isn't enough to use a blank pistol. You need to have a professional train you in safe use and help you establish safety protocols tailored to your specific show's needs... possibly even re-choreograph the show around the firing of the weapons.

Thanks Bro, you rock as usual. You are my hero and I want to be you when I grow up!

It's so frustrating to me how we regularly have these accidents in things like human flight, weapons, rigging, fly systems, fires, and pyro. Yet if you talk to the pros about it there is a very straightforward way to handle these things safely. But every year we hear about accidents caused by people who don't know what they are doing deciding, "that's not so dangerous". They get themselves in WAY too deep without ever considering that what they are doing is kind of dangerous. It's sad because it seems like it's usually an innocent bystander who pays the price, not the person who decided to try it their own way. I wish there was a way we could get the word out to every school and small community theater group out there that these are dangerous things and you need the help of a qualified professional to do these things. So sad. We'll we are doing our part here on CB. Maybe, just maybe someone will read this thread, think twice about their idea, and it will save a life.

Preach, brotha Gaff! I guess it's the difference between "knowing" and "knowing enough to be dangerous.":neutral:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back