Dataflash AF1000 Dipswitch question

lightingguy1

Hey Guys!

I am working on a show where we are using 2 HES AF1000 Dataflash strobes. I was reading the manual and it seems like I would only have to set the DMX addresS and I would be good to go, correct? On my first attempt, I had the DMX addy set, but also had dip switches 3-5 on. I found the on-fixture diagram to be a little confusing. I was thinking that the label meant you would select the traits you wanted rather than selecting the traits you didn't want.

(I'll post a pic of the dip switch area)

Thanks much!

Sent from an iPad 2 that doesn't have Tappatalk.

Last edited:
Yeah, the AF1000 has a lot of different possible meanings for the dip switches, which is really confusing. Most PE's I work with have given up trying to write what mode to configure them for, and just copy and paste a dip switch diagram onto the label. You're correct, the features you want to control should have their dip switches on, and anything else should have their dip switches off. I assume the mode you wanted is to have each fixture take up 3 channels of DMX, with individual control over Intensity, Duration, and Rate, correct? For this mode, you turn on those three functions, pushing the dip switches up. In case the labels are confusing, dip switch #2 should always be off when setting up a rig, so just ensure that 3-5 are the opposite of 2. Does that help?

Well, I'm controlling them from an ETC Ion and it seems like they aren't listening to DMX.

The Status LED isn't flashing meaning it's ok, but I still can only speratic flashes out it when I manipulate the channels in the virtual ML controls.

EDIT: Derek, that is my aw-ha moment of the day! So for address 1, I wouldn't need any DMX Dip switches on would I?

Last edited:
So if I'm looking for just a bright flash of light rather than a strobe, what would my values need to be?

Intensity wherever you want for the correct brightness level, duration whatever you want, but I'd guess something on the longer side, and rate at the lowest (DMX=0) value. A 0 rate will flash the fixture only once when you change either the intensity or the duration control channel.

Intensity wherever you want for the correct brightness level, duration whatever you want, but I'd guess something on the longer side, and rate at the lowest (DMX=0) value. A 0 rate will flash the fixture only once when you change either the intensity or the duration control channel.

Oh ok, I was kinda of concerned when the manual stated that the duty cycle could last 14 seconds, and I'm getting a 2-3 second blast of light before it cools down. Whether that is at full blast or at a steady strobing rate, I have no idea. Anyone care to I'll me in on the secret?

Last edited:
I generally start by setting the intensity pretty low, the duration pretty low, then running up the rate until I get close to what I want. Then you can increase the intensity and duration to a desired result. If it stops working, you've exceeded your duty cycle, and will have to wait for it to cool, and back off the settings.

We currently have the SO lamps in the fixtures....These arnt so great for a lightning effect.

Would we be more impressed with the HO lamps instead?

Thanks much!

EDIT: While it's probably not recommended, If we cycled the power to the strobes from our relay modules in our rack, could we get an extra flash or two out of them?

Last edited:
We currently have the SO lamps in the fixtures....These aren't so great for a lightning effect.
Would we be more impressed with the HO lamps instead?
Doubtful. While I've never compared the SO and HO lamps side by side, I have a perception that the HO lamps tend to "thermal out" quicker. The Dataflash is just a not very bright fixture--it's made more to be seen than to project light. What might help you is if you have the optional reflector installed. There's a reason the Martin Atomic 3000 has become the de facto industry standard strobe.

... While it's probably not recommended, If we cycled the power to the strobes from our relay modules in our rack, could we get an extra flash or two out of them?
Again, doubtful. Plus, you run the risk of an errant, unwanted flash at an inopportune time.

Last edited:
For Mindgame, we needed a strobe for about 1 minute duration. I juggled the three settings on dimmers to score the best combo for rate and intensity that would last just long enough before the duty cycle would thermal out. It took a lot of testing and timing to discover the best setting for this application. Ended up creating a table with a bunch of variations timed out to find the right one. Kind of a pain - and confusing to figure out at first. :cool:

I have an excel SS with some of the settings and results if anyone is interested. Just pm me. ummm, I have a 10/12 tech Saturday so I'll see a pm maybe Sunday.

yah - happy new year, eh. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back