Dataflash on Strand 520

This is a pretty simple thing to do and there are two ways to do it. First off, make sure that your AF1000 is plugged into a non-dim circuit. The AF1000 derives it's clock cycle from the AC power cycle (60Hz) and if it is plugged into an SCR dimmer it won't work right. Next, make sure your address is set correctly and that you have the unit set for DMX control as opposed to onboard automatic. Also know that if you are running the AF1000 on 120v power you can't use "Special FX Mode." Set your DMX address. Make sure your data line is connected correctly, the AF1000 takes 3-pin so you probably need an adapter, and that needs to be wired correctly.

Now, on your console you can either add the AF1000 to your fixture library, here is the profile I use:

1, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0
22, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0
17, 0, 0, 255, 0, 0

In this case, we will assume that your address is 250 and you want it in channel 10, so in patch you would hit: 250 [@] 10 {@FIXTURE} X. Where X is the fixture number you put the profile in in your fixture library.

The other option is to patch by hand so you would hit: 250 [@] 10 [*] then 251 [@] 10.22 [*] then 252 [@] 10.17 [*].

Both these techniques will give you rate and duration as attributes.

EDIT: Also, when you set the address (and I don't have any of my AF1000's in front of me, but check if you are setting "address -1" where the fixture adds 1 to the address you set.

Last edited:
Here's something I find handy, YMMV. It takes some getting used to, but it's way easier than having to add up all those non-metric numbers!

Find the address you want in the field, then read off the zeros and ones from the horizontal row header, then the vertical column header. Of course, zero is off and one is ON. Make sure that the personality dipswitches are correct for DMX-512 operation, especially sw#1!

Hope this helps.

To associate with another thread: this too, will be included in my upcoming book, "Algebra and Trigonometry for Lighting Designers." Watch for it soon on Amazon. I'm sure it will be a best-seller.;)

Last edited:
it's way easier than having to add up all those non-metric numbers!

Now this one I have to take exception to even if you use binary or even base 8 the numbers are still metric. Base 10 = metric.
Sorry Gafftaper I've been trying to hide it from you so as not to upset you but the secret is out. All math is basically metric.

Now this one I have to take exception to even if you use binary or even base 8 the numbers are still metric. Base 10 = metric.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't."

By definition, binary, octal, and hexadecimal numbers are not metric. But I meant the whole thing as a jibe to Gafftaper, so let's drop it. The horse died yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back