Daylight Readable Monitors

Breeze

We run an IonXe in an outdoor theater with a couple of standard Dell 19” external PC monitors.

The monitors are impossible to see while doing setup/testing/etc. during daylight hours.

They’re not in direct sunlight, but close to it.

We need something much brighter with better contrast.

I’ve tried a hood which didn’t work.

Our Dells are listed at 250 nits. Seems like we need something about 1000 nits.

Google led me to AbraxSys Corp & Tru-vumonitors. They look great but overbuilt for use as an external light board monitor.

Don’t need waterproof, don’t need robust, just need bright & readable.

Don’t need touch screens, we use the mouse.

Looking for recommendations on what y’all use. Thanks.

I think ours were 350 NITS. Ended up building matte boxes around them. We also ended up buying better pop up tents with full UV screening, which we then lined with black blow-through on the interior of the tent. Much cooler and enough darker that it helped more than expected. YMMV.

Thanks, Tim.
We're on a 12' x 8' tech deck using two large floor standing umbrellas for day shade. We drop 'em when the sun dips behind the trees.
Might have to research a custom pop-up tent/canopy.

Thanks, Tim.
We're on a 12' x 8' tech deck using two large floor standing umbrellas for day shade. We drop 'em when the sun dips behind the trees.
Might have to research a custom pop-up tent/canopy.
The caveat is - they're kinda ugly (sponsor banners, maybe?) and taking down an 8x12 would be "intrusive", most likely. If it's really still daylight level when the shades have to come down I think you're back to 1000+ NITS. And maybe the matte boxes too, earlier in the day.

I still haven't had any luck finding bright commercial grade 19" monitors for our IonXe.
I spoke with AbraxSys Corp which recommends minimum 750 NIT or higher.
Unfortunately their monitors are military/industrial grade and about two grand apiece.
The search continues....

I still haven't had any luck finding bright commercial grade 19" monitors for our IonXe.
I spoke with AbraxSys Corp which recommends minimum 750 NIT or higher.
Unfortunately their monitors are military/industrial grade and about two grand apiece.
The search continues....
Back around 2020 (the year that wasn't), there were a bunch of outdoor touch screens on eBay, from who ever was making the Red Box DVD rental kiosks. You'd have to build your own enclosure but might be worth looking for.

I’ve tried a hood which didn’t work.
Consider a 2'-3' "tunnel" painted black inside, rather than "hood."

OR:
proxy.php

Yes, I've done both. In both cases, getting a brighter monitor was not an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back