Daylight

foh1217

I know there is some combination of two gels which closely approximates the spectrum of daylight. A super-pale blue and some kind of amber, I believe. Can anyone out there give me the names?

proxy.php

If you're using light fixtures that take around 60 watt lamps, something like this would work.

As for a gel combination, there are a lot of photography gels out there that are designed specifically to match the color temperature of daylight, but I'm not sure if they would work in a standard stage ellipsoidal.

I know there is some combination of two gels which closely approximates the spectrum of daylight. A super-pale blue and some kind of amber, I believe. Can anyone out there give me the names?

First of all, daylight is relative. The color temp of daylight is different depending on the day, location, weather, etc. So the first thing you need to do is figure out what "daylight" you are looking for.

It sounds like you are thinking of the traditional McCandless method of lighting with an amber and a blue.

If you want to color correct for daylight, you are probably going to want a light CTB gel. However, an interesting thing to think about is the human perception of what white is. Depending on the other colors in your show, you can make your eye believe that a light amber, blue or lavender is white. If you set your white point using an amber, then a fixture with no color will look cooler.

I know there is some combination of two gels which closely approximates the spectrum of daylight. A super-pale blue and some kind of amber, I believe. ...

foh1217, your premise is flawed. Combining CTO and CTB would negate each other and simply make the source less intense. See this thread: tungsten - discharge, as well as the glossary entries highlighted above in yellow, and Color Temperature.

The gel you're looking for is probably R4215. It's a blue that gives off the look of daylight outside. If you combine that with NC it looks quite realistic. This is all in relation to using two 575w fixtures.

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:
I obviously don't know anything about your production that you want to create "daylight" so take all of this a grain of salt. I the shows I have done where I want to have that more realistic sense, yes I do use a blue and a amber but I do not go off of the term "daylight" to base my colors. It would seem to me if you pick both your colors with how they looked combined only then you may get some undesirable looks when varying only one of the colors. My approach is to look at the individual colors and then think about what they look like combined. Of course you need to have a base color that you want and then choose your two colors form that.
With your idea of "daylight", if you are planning on using only this one look for an entire act you may want to rethink that. I think if you have the same color especially if it is a bright color it can tire the eye quite a bit (actual called fatigue). Just keep this in mind.

I can tell you from experience that R65 "Daylight Blue" is NOT what you're looking for; it works better as a night color... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back