Outboard Gear dbx DRIVERACK-4800 4820?

TDjohn

Hi,

I searched the forum for this gear. No results..

Anyone using this gear successfully? Is it PC controlled?

John

Hi John,

Yes, they are. The 4820 has to be in fact, since it only has I/O mutes on the front panel (basically it is the install version of the 4800). To control them you will want to use HIQnet System Architect, or whatever they are calling it these days, from the Harman Pro. You'll need a router and ethernet cables. A crossover cable might work too, though I don't remember for sure.

http://hiqnet.harmanpro.com

Hope this helps,

Lakota

A crossover cable will indeed work, you just need to statically set the IP address on the computer and the device. You may need a router initially (to assign the device an IP, so you can use the tool, to assign the IP.) After that a crossover cable is fine.

I have a laptop that has a set IP address and has the software for every piece of ethernet gear I own. After the initial setup, I leave a 6' crossover cable plugged into the device in the rack, so that I can simply pop it in to the laptop at any point and configure a device. If you have more than one device in a single rack you may want to find a small 4-8 port switch or hub instead.

Does anyone have success using a USB-Serial cable to communicate with the front RS-232 connector? We don't have access to the rear panel. Or is our only option to communicate through the ethernet port? We are trying to communicate with System Architect 3.40 but have been unsuccessful using a laptop without a serial port. Your help will be greatly appreciated.Thank you

I have not tried one with a dbx, but USB to serial converters do work. The trick is getting a quality one with good drivers. B and B Electronics specializes in industrial interfaces, so I trust them to sell ones that actually work. The one I have from B & B hasn't failed me yet.

Thanks. I also got a reply from DBX and this is what they said.

You will want to use the null modem cable with a USB-to-serial adapter. We recommend using an adapter that has a FTDI chipset. A couple of brands that we like are Tripp-Lite and USBGear.

Verify the adapters drivers are installed, and up-to-date. You will then need to go into your Device Manager, and set the COM port’s bits per second to 57,600. Reboot the computer, and you should then have better success connecting to the 4820.

I'll try this when I get my equipment back and let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back