Jay Ashworth

I an contemplating -- because I am a weirdo -- the idea of repurposing a dead Express console as a wing, say, for M-PC, by ripping out the existing CPU board, and replacing it with something more... malleable. Like an Arduino. Or an RPi 3, with some hat.

Anyone got a 48/96 gathering dust in a closet in their third subbasement on top of a file cabinet in an office with a sign on the door saying Beware Of The Leopard?

Yeah, I looked at those. And the moving faders are sweet. But I came up out of faders, and I like *lots* of them. :)

I'm thinking I could actually put a small W10 compatible SBC *right inside* the big Express, and run M-PC right on it.

I have a dead Idea 48/96 that I was considering doing something similar. Lots of faders. I think I can figure out the procedure to read the faders with a microcontroller. It still seems like a lot of work though.

It might be almost as much work to reverse-engineer the Express facepanels as it would be to lay out your own circuit board that does the same thing--with the latter having the added advantage of being able to choose your own size/shape/quantities. There are lots of hobbyist resources online for fairly cheap PCB fabrication these days, so you don't even have to mess with nasty chemicals and whatnot. Something to consider...

The issue isn't the circuit board, it's the mechanicals -- the faders, and their mounting, and the facepanel, etc, etc... I expect it to be substantially easier *for me* to RE the electronics than the mechanics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back