Dead Processor

jmsinick

In my recent check up on my audio equipment, i found that one of my TOA processors has gone on the fritz. Something about overloading, it muted all of the output channels, and appears to power cycle. I declare it dead and do not wish for it to be repaired, but that raises the question of what do i replace it with. Idealy i want to replace all 3 of my processors with one device. I have three inputs (left, right, and sub) going to 11 outputs (left cluster, right cluster, and sub cluster). I would like something with automatic feedback processing similar to the dsp availible from shure. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Can you tell us more about your setup, please? How many speakers, how are they amp'ed, do you have any other signal processing equipment (an EQ, crossover, compressor, etc?)

With regard to feedback eliminators: I would NOT buy one. You will be much better off with a good 1/3 octave graphic EQ to eliminate feedback. I'd be happy to give directions on eliminating feedback with a graphic EQ.

how about the DSP available from shure? :wink:

Any particular reason you aren't going to call TOA about this? Even if you plan on upgrading, that's not really a good reason to throw the equipment out.

I'm not really sure how many pro grade management solutions carry feedback elimination. That's not really something most people want. But I can understand your desire to do that if this is for a school. I suspect that's the situation, that many people with not too much experience might be using the system. Nonetheless, I think it's better to kill the feedback with eq then lock it up.

11 outputs is alot. And I don't beleive you need 11. Even if you are tri-amping your LR clusters, I can only count 7 outputs. I would reccomend the Driverack 4800. 4 in, 8 out.

Ok, so here is the setup, to the best of my ability. I am a lighting guy first, but am the only one with any clue as to how the system is set up, (staff and faculty included). I will verify with the schematic on monday. I belive the speaker componets are EV and the amps are Crest. The processors are specifically TOA DP-0204. They are set with the house eq (which was professionally tuned less than six months ago) and the crossovers for each speaker. Nothing more, nothing special.

<a href="http://svsu.edu/~jmsinick/pataudio.jpg" target="_blank">
proxy.php

Click here for larger view</a>

As for not repairing, these processors are close to ten years old. In the early years of our building (mind you our theatre is only ten years old) there where many power issues such as brownouts, as far as i'm told. Since one of these has gone bad, it is possible that my other two will die soon too. I'm also not sure that the cost of repair will be cheaper than replacing them. I will drop TOA an email on monday asking their thoughs on this suituaiton but for now i am trying to gather my options to present to the people with the money.

Thanks,
Jeremy

I second AVGuyAndy's suggestion of using a DriveRack to power your system. I'm going to make an assumption that the underbalc's do not differ much from the mains, and therefore could be driven from the same output used for the mains. Here's a diagram:

proxy.php

underbalc fills will need to be delayed, and to purchase a processor and then have to add a seperate DDL is a bit silly. 11 outputs is a lot, though, and you'll likely need two units chained together to get what you need. The driverack units are quite good, but if you're willing to take a step up a pair of BSS Soundwebs would be really nice - they bring great sound and great configureability.

seanb said:
underbalc fills will need to be delayed, and to purchase a processor and then have to add a seperate DDL is a bit silly. 11 outputs is a lot, though, and you'll likely need two units chained together to get what you need. The driverack units are quite good, but if you're willing to take a step up a pair of BSS Soundwebs would be really nice - they bring great sound and great configureability.

You're absolutely right, Sean; I have no idea what I was thinking. I wonder if one can chain two DriveRack's together and have them communicate with one another. If anyone knows more about how multiple DriveRack's work together, please enlighten us.

I'm not too familiar with the SoundWebs; I'm going to do a bit of research on them right now.

It appears from the dbx driverack website http://www.driverack.com/ that it is possible to network driverack 4800s together. This function does not appear to be available on the PA series though. Read the user manual on the driverack family for more information (section 7 cover networking). I have no experience with this but that it what is apparent from a quick look at the manual.

I have the DriveRack PA, and I highly recommend the driverack series. And Chris15 is right, the PA's cannot be chained together. I recommend the 4800's.

Let me clarify my termed balcony speakers. They are used to fill our balc, not under. Our overhang is only like five rows of seats. The house seats 520, with 320 on the floor and 200 in the balc. The house is taller than it is deep, i believe. With that said, i think it could be the same signal. Also i do not believe there is any delay in our system. The only thing w/ delay in our entire school, is the choir balc speakers behind the stage in our recital hall.

One other think that i have yet to verify (till i look at the schematic) is if it is the left/right signal that is sent to the left/right woofers, or the sub signal.

Jeremy

Our solution, to be installed next week, is to replace all three of our TOA processors with two DBX DriveRack 260s. It fits our needs in both features and input/outputs. Our remaining working processors will become spares for our Recital Hall. Thanks all for your help.

Jeremy

That should work very well for you. Good luck and enjoy your new DriveRacks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back