Decal, Deckle or...?

Ric

I was having this discussion with my offsider yesterday about the correct spelling of 'Decal'.
We use the term to describe a dotted pattern of 'break up' gobos pointed down on the stage, used for a pattern of light and shade, sometimes as if it's night time, other times as if it's light through trees. I'm sure you've seen countless variations of this.

With various dance groups coming through, often having lighting from other places, we've seen various spellings; decal, deckle, deckel, dekkel etc.

My thinking is 'decal' is as per a stick on item / logo used for all sorts of advertising and is a real word and spelling.
However I can see that 'deckle' could be a corruption of dot & speckle.
Is one speling more correct than others?

Does anyone have any other ideas, or opinions?

or should I not care, and just light the stage ? ;)

i just refer to them as a breakups or whatever the gobo title is. decal, as you have said, are stickers or logos. ive never heard this term otherwise

I get a lot of tours and touring LD's (theater/variety) and have never heard what you describe called anything other then Break Ups.

Never even heard the term Decal used with a gobo look.

Steve B.

or should I not care, and just light the stage ? ;)

Thats what I would say, but we do like to figure things out here.

I am trying to think of how the pronunciation of an American lighting term could have been skewed by accent and time to come to the word decal.

Where is Hughesie? He is Australian. Maybe he can shed some light on the situation.

Could it be a bastardization of stiple? Or Dapple ?

I've never heard that word used in relation to lighting... again must be an Aussie thing. Forget Hue-z. We need the crafty old Aussie Logos to help solve this one.

The word Deckle does have an obscure definition in American English that sort of has a logical connection. Have you heard of a "deckle edge"? When you buy a quality hard backed book one edge of the paper is roughly cut. That's the "deckle edge". Artists like to do things with deckle edges. If any of you have a wife into scrap booking or home made greeting cards she will know all about deckle edges. Below is a picture of some home made art papers with deckle edges. Look at them and think about what we call a breakup or a textured lighting and you can see how it could be called Deckle.
proxy.php

The word Deckle does have an obscure definition in American English that sort of has a logical connection. Have you heard of a "deckle edge"? When you buy a quality hard backed book one edge of the paper is roughly cut. That's the "deckle edge". Artists like to do things with deckle edges. If any of you have a wife into scrap booking or home made greeting cards she will know all about deckle edges. Below is a picture of some home made art papers with deckle edges. Look at them and think about what we call a breakup or a textured lighting and you can see how it could be called Deckle.

I think this post deserves a;

Now you Know!
And Knowing is Half the Battle !

The first time I came across deckles was in 1972 with the Australian Ballet in Perth and on of my first jobs was making deckle plates for the patt 23's.As has been suggested I was told that it was a word-play on dapple and speckle.

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I did figure it was one of those peculiarities that we Aussies have :-s

I am no closer to a definative answer of which way is correct to spell it, though it's good to know I'm not alone in the mystery.

Cheers all !

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I did figure it was one of those peculiarities that we Aussies have :-s

I am no closer to a definative answer of which way is correct to spell it, though it's good to know I'm not alone in the mystery.

Cheers all !

FWIW, have an event tomorrow from the UK, that asked for 4 David Hersey Associates Gobo's #504 "Dapple". It's also a Rosco template and fits your description.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back