Decent Microdot Wireless Headset Cables

BCAP

There's probably no good answer for this but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Some of the theaters I work in use microphones that utilize these microdot cables, are these fairly common? I think I've seen other makes and models of mikes using microdot cables. I know Samson SE series microphones use them, and one or two of the inexpensive brands one can find on amazon.com

I'm finding that these particular cables that come with these units are failing quite often for various reasons and it always ends up making a ton of noise in the mix with an intermittent connection popping and fizzing. Sometimes the fault is inside the molded strain relief, and I've had a few where the cable actually broke or the insulation cracked (maybe the cable jacket got stiff, etc.). The 1/8" TRS also seems very very cheap.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for a higher quality off the shelf microdot cable.

I'd also like to see a Switchcraft threaded connector on the end rather than this particular style of molded connector, which has been failing (the collar comes off).

An aside, I think Microphone Madness mics have not only some great microphones but it's the most robust cable quality I've seen with their bulletproof build cables which are sold only with their own mics, it would be awesome if they decided they wanted to branch out into making 3rd party cables for other manufacturers mics = probably not terribly likely tho.

71phevuD-ZL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
Are these cables getting wound around the belt pack at the end of use? That'll break any cable fairly quickly. Store them straight and relaxed and you might be surprised how long they last.

Oops I should have mentioned these particular units include my own gear too. Sorry I didn't mean to be unclear about that. I generally treat it all the same, all units go neatly and gently into a Wireless Mic Belts RF RAC at the end of the night until the next performance with love and care and all wires very relaxed. When I store the mics after a show run, I coil these cables much as they are above with the cable carefully separated from the headset. They do not get any undue abuse from myself, but I do not see what the actors are doing with them backstage and what kind of abuse they take necessarily while I'm not right there. Since there have been cable issues at the transmitter pack where the connector plugs in so I tend to use shoulder brace mounts where possible to prevent actors from sitting on the packs. I hang the cable downwards or sideways. That has been a big help, for both reducing cable wear and also improving transmission/reception - but I haven't been able to completely avoid waist belt type installations and I think that might be where the most damage is occurring.

All that said, the build quality of these particular cables is truly not very good. It's mostly the 1/8" end of the cable. I'm tempted to start soldering on my own preferred 1/8" end. I've had situations where a new cable develops an issue after 5 show runs and that just seems wrong.

Last edited:
There's probably no good answer for this but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Some of the theaters I work in use microphones that utilize these microdot cables, are these fairly common? I think I've seen other makes and models of mikes using microdot cables. I know Samson SE series microphones use them, and one or two of the inexpensive brands one can find on amazon.com

I'm finding that these particular cables that come with these units are failing quite often for various reasons and it always ends up making a ton of noise in the mix with an intermittent connection popping and fizzing. Sometimes the fault is inside the molded strain relief, and I've had a few where the cable actually broke or the insulation cracked (maybe the cable jacket got stiff, etc.). The 1/8" TRS also seems very very cheap.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a source for a higher quality off the shelf microdot cable.

I'd also like to see a Switchcraft threaded connector on the end rather than this particular style of molded connector, which has been failing (the collar comes off).

An aside, I think Microphone Madness mics have not only some great microphones but it's the most robust cable quality I've seen with their bulletproof build cables which are sold only with their own mics, it would be awesome if they decided they wanted to branch out into making 3rd party cables for other manufacturers mics = probably not terribly likely tho.

View attachment 22922
A quick look at b and h photo dot com shows DPA brand “heavy duty” 5.5’ cable with microdot at each end. I have used both Senal and Shure adapters to plug them into Sennheiser (3.5 mm screw-down) and AKG (mini-xlr) transmitters. So far, I only get noise from fidgety child actors or dying AA battery. There are probably some very pricey boutique options out there, too. Markertek, a Hudson Valley, NY company sells primarily to the broadcast industry. (Journalists in the studio and in the field use headworn mics like they were as essential As spoons or bath tissue.) If they don’t have what you want, they will make it for you at a premium price.

I finally bought some of this stuff, but haven't tried it out yet, largely cause we upgraded to Shure's new digital wireless and it has TA4F connectors. But I'm betting that using some Stabilant 22A on it -- Jerry Pournelle used to brag about this stuff in BYTE 40 years ago, when it was called Tweek for stereo heads -- would probably make them behave a lot better.

5ml that you dilute to a total of 25ml with 99% isopropyl is about $35 on eBay. Figure another 5-10 bucks in eyebrow brushes...

I finally bought some of this stuff, but haven't tried it out yet, largely cause we upgraded to Shure's new digital wireless and it has TA4F connectors. But I'm betting that using some Stabilant 22A on it -- Jerry Pournelle used to brag about this stuff in BYTE 40 years ago, when it was called Tweek for stereo heads -- would probably make them behave a lot better.

5ml that you dilute to a total of 25ml with 99% isopropyl is about $35 on eBay. Figure another 5-10 bucks in eyebrow brushes...
@Jay Ashworth Now that you've reminded me of Jerry Pournelle, I'm recalling his computer called Super Cow.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back