Define: Sitzprobe

TimMc

Premium Member
Sitzprobe. The term, as I understood it, was used to define a rehearsal time dedicated to a specific, single department for a check of the department's work. Initial wireless mic placement and aural audition, or a costume/makeup check under stage lighting.

I ask because an IATSE venue is seeking minimum staffing reduction for sitzprobes and there seems to be a very, very broad interpretation of the term.

I've never known one to include any technical elements. We usually operated with that being the first time the crew had the stage to themselves and would try and coordinate the hang or installation of large scenery while the pit and actors were in a rehearsal room, but another vote for the wiki definition.

I've never known one to include any technical elements. We usually operated with that being the first time the crew had the stage to themselves and would try and coordinate the hang or installation of large scenery while the pit and actors were in a rehearsal room, but another vote for the wiki definition.
I've always referred to that as a "Dry-tech".

I've only ever heard the term Sitzprobe in relation to Opera and typically just a marked vocal rehearsal, singers and musicians. No choreography, blocking, sets, lights. Seems like it would be a great time to run checks on mics but the singers are typically in full voice, just marking.

Wet/Dry tech we'd use for Q2Q type work with/without cast respectively. Sitzprobe usually took place way before tech and usually not in the same building.

I think like many things though, it's highly dependent on needs unique to the company doing the work.

Reactions: Van
I agree with the defintion in the Wiki.
Though with some school groups i work with, we'll also try to use that time (Just before) to setup mics and monitors in the orchestra and dial in in a vocal monitor settings for conductor, electric instrument balance into the room etc, at least roughly.

And sometimes It'll be the first time we attempt body mics on actors, so we can rough in some EQ/Compresssion and let the student board ops start getting familiar with mixing with out the pressure of hitting "on/off" cues.

In the interest of fairness, don't forget the similar Wandelprobe.

I've only ever heard the term Sitzprobe in relation to Opera and typically just a marked vocal rehearsal, singers and musicians. No choreography, blocking, sets, lights. Seems like it would be a great time to run checks on mics but the singers are typically in full voice, just marking.
I think @StradivariusBone was saying that because the sitz is happening elsewhere the stage is available for tech.

I think that sound is usually sitting in/paying attention at a sitz, but in my experience technical elements are avoided, to let it be just be about combining the band and the actors.

Typically not in full voice, I assume you meant to type...

Reactions: Van
Singer/Orchestra rehearsal.... in a rehearsal hall offsite. No blocking. Just a sing through. Then you move to the Wandel. I've never heard of it being used any other way. Oh, and to pronounce it you must used a heavy badly done German accent.
And the riding crop and monocle are optional?

Last edited:
I have always loved this classic scene.. But Sitz and Wandel came up with our music director the other day, and for us, it's always "Sit or stand and sing with the orchestra for the first time"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Our Sitzprobes happen the day before tech. It is a run-through of the full score (with line cues as needed). The purpose is just to integrate what the orchestra has been rehearsing with how the cast has been rehearsing. I will set up a few wired mics on stands just so the vocalists can be heard over the orchestra without blowing their voices. Ours take place in the rehearsal space because there are usually people finishing the set on stage and it makes no sense to share that space with drivers and circ saws.

Sitzprobe translates to seated rehearsal.

Our Sitzprobes happen the day before tech. It is a run-through of the full score (with line cues as needed). The purpose is just to integrate what the orchestra has been rehearsing with how the cast has been rehearsing. I will set up a few wired mics on stands just so the vocalists can be heard over the orchestra without blowing their voices. Ours take place in the rehearsal space because there are usually people finishing the set on stage and it makes no sense to share that space with drivers and circ saws.

Sitzprobe translates to seated rehearsal.
Wait. Your carps are permitted to use circular saws?

Obligatory wise crack concerning curtis73 using circ saws........I wonder if they were Circ du soleil saws? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back