Delta-Wye Tranformer

McCready00

What should I know about these. I know how it works but is there any specific stuff I should know? Like, where is the current mostly going between the winds and the ground when it comes back from the circuits?

Thanks

Just to clarify, current returns from circuits along the neutral, not the ground. The ground is the path for fault current.
The only other thing you might need to know is phase control dimmers (most of those that are in use today) generate insane harmonics which add up on the neutral in a three phase system, requiring the neutral to be overrated 130%, and overheating the transformer if it is not sized with the extra harmonics taken into account.
Transformers designed to work with non-linear loads like phase control dimmers and switching power supplies are said to be K-rated.

Also, Delta and Wye are two different types of transformers. I hate to ask why you need to know, because if you need to use/setup or otherwise interface with a transformer and you have to ask this type of question then you should not be doing whatever it is you may be doing. If that is the case you should consult a qualified electrician.

Also, Delta and Wye are two different types of transformers. I hate to ask why you need to know, because if you need to use/setup or otherwise interface with a transformer and you have to ask this type of question then you should not be doing whatever it is you may be doing. If that is the case you should consult a qualified electrician.

I completely agree with the fact that if you have to ask, you shouldn't be using/setting up or otherwise doing anything with a transformer like this.

That said, delta and wye are not different types of transformers in themselves. Delta and Wye describe the configuration of the windings in a transformer. You can't have just a Delta or just a Wye transformer. The most common types are Delta-Wye, Wye-Delta, Delta-Delta, and Wye-Wye. These terms apply to 3-phase systems only, by the way.

That said, delta and wye are not different types of transformers in themselves. Delta and Wye describe the configuration of the windings in a transformer. You can't have just a Delta or just a Wye transformer.

Yeah, it had been a long day and I was only thinking in terms of secondary windings...

Just to clarify, current returns from circuits along the neutral, not the ground. The ground is the path for fault current.
The only other thing you might need to know is phase control dimmers (most of those that are in use today) generate insane harmonics which add up on the neutral in a three phase system, requiring the neutral to be overrated 130%, and overheating the transformer if it is not sized with the extra harmonics taken into account.
Transformers designed to work with non-linear loads like phase control dimmers and switching power supplies are said to be K-rated.

Well I know, but isn't the neutral tapped with the ground inside the transformer? And I might be wrong, but the ground cable is also tapped to the windings!..

Then, could we say, in a technically point of view, that the ground is sort of used as the Neutral continuity?

It really depends on how the transformer is connected. With the standard delta connection, the neutral is the center tap on one of the three transformers. The ground is also connected here and then earthed. So yes, they are connected.
What do you mean by the neutral continuity?

There are many "standard" delta-connected secondaries. A center-tapped transformer is only one of those possible configurations. Normally, the ground is bonded to the neutral in the first disconnecting mains after the transformer. There are situations where this bonding can occur in the transformer, but that requires careful consideration of local applicable electrical codes.

Point of fact, the ground conductor is not a current carrying conductor. Current supplying a load is supplied via phase conductor and returned via another phase conductor (phase to phase loads) or the neutral conductor (phase to neutral loads). Any load current on the ground conductor means you have a ground fault in your system. This is how GFCI's function - they trip when the current going out the phase does not match the current coming back in the neutral.

Well I know, but isn't the neutral tapped with the ground inside the transformer?
Not necessarily. I once spent a week troubleshooting problems in a bunch of communication equipment, only to find that the neutral on the delta-why transfromer had been left ungrounded :shock:

I questioned the electrician on this, and he told me that it was ungrounded because it was supposed to be an "isolation" transformer. (Yes, he was a licensed, union electrician.) Needless to say, once the neutral was properly bonded to ground, all my problems went away.

-Fred

well.. if, in the worst-case scenario, you get our of phase as 0% on the first line, 50% in the second and 100% in the third, isn't the neutral supposed to suck most of the current. Well, in this case, the ground in the primary becomes an extention to the neutral.

Am I wrong?

In a 3-phase, 4-wire (or 5-wire) system the neutral will carry a sum of the unbalanced phase current. However, this current does not flow through the ground conductor. The neutral current, if any, is carried back to the transformer where it goes back in to the transformer windings. So, even though the neutral and the ground are bonded together, the ground conductor does not carry current unless there is a fault on the system. Connecting loads between a hot phase and ground is a big no-no. The correct way to connect loads either phase-to-phase or phase-to-neutral.

Generally, a building should have a single earth ground and a single point where this ground bonds to the neutral, usually at the service entrance disconnect or main panel. The ground serves two purposes; Outside the building, it is a way for lightning strikes and stray voltages to find their way to the earth. Inside the building, it serves as an error path should a short occur in part of the wiring. In day-to-day usage, it is not a current carrying conductor, although some micro-leakage may occur in appliances that are plugged in. Any grounded appliance that develops a fault that would have made it's case electrically "hot", returns this power via the ground, hopefully overloading the circuit and tripping the supply breaker. Some breakers, such as GFI, are designed to trip as soon as there is any imbalance.

There are some examples of multi-point ground. As an extreme example, I live in a house that has a lightning rod system. 14 "air terminals" are on the roof, and 6 grounding rods are in the soil at various points. All are bonded together using a special type of ~3 gauge braided cable. This system also bonds to the incoming neutral at the service entrance head, along with a fairly large MOV unit. As this bond is made outside of the building and prior to the service entrance, it is not considered part of the internal wiring of the house.

For some additional explanation of grounding (earthing) you can check the following link.

Untitled

although it is an on-line book that provides explanation for Electricians to assist them in understanding the Institution of Electrical Engineers Wiring Regulations the U.K. equivalent of the U.S. NEC and the canadian Electrical Code it provides a good explanation of the principles.

For some additional explanation of grounding (earthing) you can check the following link.

Untitled

although it is an on-line book that provides explanation for Electricians to assist them in understanding the Institution of Electrical Engineers Wiring Regulations the U.K. equivalent of the U.S. NEC and the canadian Electrical Code it provides a good explanation of the principles.

North American technicians should be very careful with this document, as a great deal of it is not allowed under the NEC. This is particularly true of the wide variety of earthing systems found in the UK and Europe. In addition, there are no RCD devices in North America, only GFCI and GFP devices. RCD's are often used in Europe to create ungrounded or impedance-grounded systems that are still safe. This is not allowed in the US or Canada.

In general, North American practice is to hard-ground the neutral as close to the transformer or service entrance as possible. Any number of delta-wye transformers can be installed in a facility, creating "separately derived" neutrals that are hard-grounded at each transformer.

ST

As a side note only the conductor connecting from the mains bond with the neutral out into the ground is called a "ground", all the others commonly called a ground are in actually called a "bond".

All of those green and bare wires are "bonding conductors".

US NEC has the Grounding Electrode, Grounding Electrode Conductor, Grounded Service Conductor, Main Bonding Jumper, and Equipment Grounding Conductor. What you are calling the "bond", the NEC calls the Equipment Grounding Conductor. Your "ground" = NEC Grounding Electrode Conductor. The way the NEC is written, "ground" and "bond" are not nearly specific enough without modifiers.

US NEC has the Grounding Electrode, Grounding Electrode Conductor, Grounded Service Conductor, Main Bonding Jumper, and Equipment Grounding Conductor. What you are calling the "bond", the NEC calls the Equipment Grounding Conductor. Your "ground" = NEC Grounding Electrode Conductor. The way the NEC is written, "ground" and "bond" are not nearly specific enough without modifiers.

You have pointed out another specific way in which the NEC and CEC differ.

CEC Section 10 "Grounding And Bonding", see section 0.

Bonding - A low impedance path obtained by permanently joining all con-current-carrying metal parts to ensure electrical continuity and having the capacity to conduct safely any current likely to be imposted on it.

Bonding conductor - A conductor that connects the non-current-carrying parts of electrical equipment, raceways, or enclosures to the service equipment or system grounding conductor

Grounding - A permanent and continuous conductive path to the earth with sufficient ampacity to carry any fault current liable to be imposed on it, and of a sufficiently low impedance to limit the voltage rise above ground and facilitate the operation of the protective devices in the circuit.

Grounding Conductor - The conductor used to connect the service equipment or system to the grounding electrode.

Grounding Electrode - A buried metal water piping system or metal object or device buried in, or driven into, the ground to which a grounding conductor is electrically and mechanically connected.

An important note. Rule 26-258 (1)
The conductors supplying transformers shall have an ampacity rating
(a) not less than 125% of the rated primary current of the transformer for a single transformer; or
(b) not less than the sum of the rated primary currents of all transformers plus 25% for the rated primary current of the largest transformer for a group of transformers operated in parallel or on a common feeder.

The 125% rule also applies to secondaries.

It figured we were talking about differences between countries. Just wanted to make sure anybody else reading this realized that. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back