Denied at Ithaca

cvanp

My top choice school, Ithaca College, just sent me a letter today denying me.

On one hand, I'm kinda upset - Ithaca is the gold standard and I was very much hoping to attend school there. I've heard nothing but good things from that school.

On the other hand, that is at least $40,000 a year I don't have to spend for at least 4 years (until grad school anywho). The cost was a huge issue, and I would have had to take out massive loans.

Right now I'm looking at some SUNY schools (UBuffalo, BuffState, Fredonia, Oneonta) and one private school (LeMoyne College). Tough decision now, especially as I really hadn't thought about a second choice.

Ahh the joys of moving into the real world!

Bummer, that's a good school too.

(Virginia Tech Theatre Arts -- FTW -- that's where I am going next year)

But good luck on the search, it's tough finding the right place. Have you looked into SUNY Purchase?

I did try Purchase and hated it. There was a feeling of "Holier than thou" the entire time I was visiting. The proximity to NYC was awesome, but the attitude on campus was less than delightful.

That sucks big time. I know exactly what you are talking about. That's why I settled on Tech for drama. Everyone there is so chill, but they are dedicated to everything they do, and they help each other while still maintaining a competitive edge.

My top choice school, Ithaca College, just sent me a letter today denying me.
On one hand, I'm kinda upset - Ithaca is the gold standard and I was very much hoping to attend school there. I've heard nothing but good things from that school.
On the other hand, that is at least $40,000 a year I don't have to spend for at least 4 years (until grad school anywho). The cost was a huge issue, and I would have had to take out massive loans.
Right now I'm looking at some SUNY schools (UBuffalo, BuffState, Fredonia, Oneonta) and one private school (LeMoyne College). Tough decision now, especially as I really hadn't thought about a second choice.
Ahh the joys of moving into the real world!

If you play your cards right and don't mind not going to Yale, you should not have to pay for grad school to get an MFA at least. If you really want to go to a top school, you will have to pay, but most you teach/research/slave and you get a stipend.

I just got accepted to SUNY Purchase, and although the program is excellent, with an amazing facility that has three theaters, i did get a feeling of impersonality and the "holier than thou" But maybe that's what it takes to keep your alumni in the industry 15 years after graduation (at least thats what the admissions guy said) I'm still not sure if I'm going or not.

You could look at Point Park University in Pittsburgh. They have a pretty intense theatre program

Fredonia has a very good program. Steve Rees is the guy to talk to for tech. He is very active in USITT as well.

Right now my top choice is UBuffalo, with a double major in Directing and Theatre Design/Tech. That would give me more of a background in theatre and provide me with the basis for a possible MFA in Directing. Really, Directing is what I want to be doing, but I'm very visual in the way I do it (sets/lights are a very big part of the experience for me) so that's why I'm approaching Theatre Design/Tech as well. Not only that, but I'd assume it's easier to find theatre design/tech jobs... after all, shows needs lots of techies, but only one director.

Right now my top choice is UBuffalo, with a double major in Directing and Theatre Design/Tech. That would give me more of a background in theatre and provide me with the basis for a possible MFA in Directing. Really, Directing is what I want to be doing, but I'm very visual in the way I do it (sets/lights are a very big part of the experience for me) so that's why I'm approaching Theatre Design/Tech as well. Not only that, but I'd assume it's easier to find theatre design/tech jobs... after all, shows needs lots of techies, but only one director.

Most people out there who are directors, don't have an undergrad in directing. Many do, but its by far not the rule. Most have an MFA in it, but have an undergrad in something else. Getting an undergrad in design should be very helpful, myself and probably most the people on this board would agree. I have worked with directors that have design experience, and its a double edged sword, but usually it works out better in the end (though you have to fight for what you want much more). Take as many theory classes as possible, and take every design class possible. Become well rounded, don't say "I'm a ______."

Fredonia has a very good program. Steve Rees is the guy to talk to for tech. He is very active in USITT as well.

Fredonia has a University? Who is the Chancellor? Rufus T Firefly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back