Design Designing a Lighting Show at a High School

Hi,

I am a student at a high school and I am trying to design a light show. We dont have many moving lights(2 elations, 4 roboscan 518s, and 6 roboscans 812..not sure about those). I am not sure how long the show should be.

I am working with an expression 3 board. We might get a new board by then.. Martin m1.

If theres any advice you have that would be great!

Thanks,

Cameron

If theres any advice you have that would be great!

Imagine the show in your head visually in regards to what you want it to look like.
Think about cues, looks, and effects and figure out how to get the console to do that. Read the manual, spend hours on the board not on a call doing your own thing to find out WHAT THIS board can do. Try to obtain a visualizer. Download the Expressions O.L.E.(Expressions Off-iline Editor for your computer to give you access to the console for training when YOU want it.On time, I sat in my hotel room in Vegas one night with my laptop running E.O.L., and I learned how to run chases to create marquee lighting patters. My favorite epiphany was learning to run a chase forward and a reverse chase directly over it at a different speed than the first. This produces a forward chase that will over time speed up, then slow down over and over again. Really cool as you adjust the rates.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
...I am not sure how long the show should be. ...
It should be exactly as long as it needs to be, and not a second more or less. The length is usually determined by the soundtrack or music that the lighting relates to (the script). Lighting changing and strobing without corresponding to some other stimuli is rather boring, no?

Is this the type of thing to which you are looking?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...-we-go-again-soundlights-latest-creation.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be exactly as long as it needs to be, and not a second more or less. The length is usually determined by the soundtrack or music that the lighting relates to (the script). Lighting changing and strobing without corresponding to some other stimuli is rather boring, no?

Is this the type of thing to which you are looking?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...-we-go-again-soundlights-latest-creation.html

yes thats exactly what i was looking at! thanks for the help. I am just getting in to lighting and this will be my third show.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back