Designing Questions

Hello All,

I have just begun my company, and am running into a few issues, one is finding the right clients, I have a few that I'm emailing but thius isnt the section to talk about it. Second is I don't know of any goods design programs, I've searched through many fourms accross the web, but am unsure of a good software, any help?

Thanks,

Stemicle Lights

It depends what type of designing you want, if it is to draw the whole theatre in CAD, and plot out the whole thing, you would want some form of CAD or if you just want to draw out a simple plan, then you may want MagicSheet, or if you just want to do load calc's, channel listings ect then you might want Ligtwright, there is plenty of software out there, just tell us what you are after.
Nick

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Is your first question asking how to find "new" clients?? If not, what do you mean by "right"?
Your second question needs more explanation as well: what are you looking for from the software? To create a light plot, to create renderings of possible projects, to create paperwork such as hookups, or something else?

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you are asking here. Is your first question asking how to find "new" clients?? If not, what do you mean by "right"?
Your second question needs more explanation as well: what are you looking for from the software? To create a light plot, to create renderings of possible projects, to create paperwork such as hookups, or something else?
Hi sorry,

clients as I will be traveling with my company which ive started and setting up lights and sound. thats what i meant by "clients" sorry again. im looking for a software, if any that can design the setup for a medium to large outdoor and even indoor event. Thanks

Stemicle

Hi sorry,

clients as I will be traveling with my company which ive started and setting up lights and sound. thats what i meant by "clients" sorry again. im looking for a software, if any that can design the setup for a medium to large outdoor and even indoor event. Thanks

Stemicle

I am, frankly, confused. No offense is meant by my following statements I'm just voicing some questions that you may want to ask yourself.

1. you're starting a traveling Sound/Lights production company, and you don't know about available design programs ?

2. you're starting your own traveling Sound/Lights Production company and you don't know where to get clients ?

3. In your other post you ask how to measure a garage, supply it it with power, and set it up lights and you're starting you're own production company?

I need some clarification here. Perhaps a post in the New member thread would allow us to asess your background a bit and let us know more of what you're trying to do.
If you want to do the old; : Hey let's put on a show! My dads got a barn. My mom can sew the costumes..... That's one thing. If you are, however talking about a legitimate Sound and Lighting Production company then you should already have clients, software, and the knowledge to know where to find the answers to some of the very basic questions you have put forth here.

Van makes perfectly good sense, but if all else fails and you are just a startup company, there's nothing like a drafting table with a pencil and a good set of lighting templates. Sure is a lot cheaper than buying a program. A majority of the shows I do are still done by hand. I ran a CAD machine for many years, but I still prefer to get on the board for some things, and light plots are one of them. I do all of my patches and que sheets on the computer, but i still like the old method for drawing. You would be surprised at how many touring sets and lighting designs have been done on the back of a napkin during a production meeting, and then out to tour!

I love autoCAD, especially since pretty alot of people have it (or at least the capability to view/print can be arranged). And for the other LX paperwork I use lightwright, it does a brilliant job.

the best thing about autocad is that it's good for things other than lighting as well. I use it for drawing venues, sets, audio, lighting plots... Everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back