Dewalt Drill Recall

ScaredOfHeightsLD

So, for about two months now I have been trying to bring myself to buy a new drill. I spec'd out a Dewalt 18v XRP and finally got myself to go to the store last night to buy it. It was about 15 minutes before closing. I finally found an associate to open the tool cage and grabbed the last one of the particular model I wanted. I get to the register and it won't scan through. After two different cashiers tried to ring it up, they get a message, "Cannot Sell to customer, product recalled by manufacturer". Needless to say I wasn't too happy and now have to wait for Dewalt to either come out with a replacement or get another model. stupid product recall...

As was discussed in another thread, give the Makita Li-Ion gun a try - it's got long battery live, plenty of power, and it's really lightweight.

If you are wanting to go with another company, go with panasonic. They do cost a pretty good deal more, but they are much lighter and are built like tanks. Their chucks are also some of the best out there.

Did you know that at one time 95% of all drill chucks made came from one of 2 mfg./plants. My dad used to run one of them, which was in Chicago.

Anyone see a Li-Ion drill/driver for under $150?

Did you know that at one time 95% of all drill chucks made came from one of 2 mfg./plants. My dad used to run one of them, which was in Chicago...
Just a wild guess, Jacob's?

As was discussed in another thread, give the Makita Li-Ion gun a try - it's got long battery live, plenty of power, and it's really lightweight.

I'm telling you this is a GREAT drill. I love mine so far. Haven't built a set with it yet so I can't tell you how long it goes between charges... I've only driven about a dozen screws so far. But it's SWEET... even has a little LED built in to shine on your work. But alas, they are $200.

Anyone see a Li-Ion drill/driver for under $150?
I think Black & Decker and Craftsman have both come out with Li-Ion's in the $100 range but they aren't going to be the same quality. I've had terrible results with several Craftsman Cordless drills in the past. They kept falling apart and my Dad kept buying me new Craftsman's for Christmas to replace the old ones. I love their hand tools but can't recommend them for cordless. I've had a B&D 18v (not Li-Ion) for about 4 years now and I'm very happy with it.

I think if my brain remembers correct theres some sort of corporate connection between B&D and Dewalt now and speculation that they are the same product with two lables. Has anyone heard this?

Yep just confirmed, Black and Decker owns Dewalt, Porter Cable, and Delta.

Yes, but DeWalt and B&D are on different levels. I love Dewalt, but have a burning hate for B&D Firestorms.

Milwaukee ain't bad tho.

Was probably lucky for you it was not available. Why are you buying a 18v powertool? Are you going out into the woods or out onto a jobsite where you cannot change batteries more than like once every four hours? Driving any big screws or drill bits that you cannot plug into a wall outlet and use a real drill for?

14.4v should have been more than sufficient in my opinion to give you 2 hours of constant work on a battery, cost less (especially a few years from now in fresh batteries) and not offer a sufficient difference in performance - just less weight (and that will play a factor some day.) Can’t imagine other than being a more manly man the need for 18v over 14.4 volt.

Black & Decker is still the home owner grade of tool and DeWalt while owned by them is still the industrial grade with the exception of Black & Decker Industrial Grade - most often made by DeWalt. Other than that... Nope a Firestorm or what ever Black & Decker currently is, is not a DeWalt.

Black & Decker now owns Porter Cable and Delta? Not totally sure about that, could be in having not checked and otherwise missed that, but at least I do believe they locally to me now share service center buildings which could say a lot or nothing. Just as Bosch doesn’t own Skil, they shared the same service center or does Bosch also own Skil?

Milwaukee.... decent tools had to talk to the repair shop manager after a fourth or fifth call to get a few wee mistakes corrected. Like gee where are my tools? Gee were is my second tool? gee where is my second tool? Gee I got my tools plus one can I send this back so I'm not paying for this extra part? Gee, can I get a refund on this part since I didn't order it yet paid for it and didn't get any help last time I was promissed? This granted any service center could have similar problems and I did also with DeWalt service - just half the calls needed so as to correct the problems of sending a driver out to pickup the tools. Gee, here is half the tools sent in for repair. Gee, where is the rest of the tools sent in for repair. Seems they were in a seperate bucket and the counter help didn't look about our shop for them - but they are all ready to pickup now... Gee, great send a driver back out - just ship them - your expense at this point. Skil/Bosch, not a problem normally, this other than a part they keep telling me is not discontinued and is on order or re-on order every time I call, just seems that it takes like six months to forever in getting it. Really that part is not discontinued even though Grainger Parts says it is. I'll just hold my breath until after six months now, that part finally comes in. Makita service center - having visited them all in major brand service center recently... fine with service, just a total lack of any interest -to the point of say someone coming up to a person standing at the counter, let's help them as opposed to chat amongst ourselves or eat lunch. Even once finally helped, err, you have done this kind of thing before - helping customers correct? Ah' the Makita guys pissed me off the most because I was right there with cash on hand - this as opposed to just the blind person on the phone dealing with incompitent service people.

I'm telling you this is a GREAT drill. I love mine so far. Haven't built a set with it yet so I can't tell you how long it goes between charges... I've only driven about a dozen screws so far. But it's SWEET... even has a little LED built in to shine on your work. But alas, they are $200.
I think Black & Decker and Craftsman have both come out with Li-Ion's in the $100 range but they aren't going to be the same quality. I've had terrible results with several Craftsman Cordless drills in the past. They kept falling apart and my Dad kept buying me new Craftsman's for Christmas to replace the old ones. I love their hand tools but can't recommend them for cordless. I've had a B&D 18v (not Li-Ion) for about 4 years now and I'm very happy with it.
I think if my brain remembers correct theres some sort of corporate connection between B&D and Dewalt now and speculation that they are the same product with two lables. Has anyone heard this?

I'm telling you this is a GREAT drill. I love mine so far. Haven't built a set with it yet so I can't tell you how long it goes between charges... I've only driven about a dozen screws so far. But it's SWEET... even has a little LED built in to shine on your work. But alas, they are $200...
Should have gotten this one. An impact driver makes all the difference when driving those 3" wood screws.

Should have gotten this one. An impact driver makes all the difference when driving those 3" wood screws.

I actually have been thinking about getting one of those. It's on my list of things to purchase depending on how the cash flow holds up.

Black & Decker is still the home owner grade of tool and DeWalt while owned by them is still the industrial grade with the exception of Black & Decker Industrial Grade - most often made by DeWalt. Other than that... Nope a Firestorm or what ever Black & Decker currently is, is not a DeWalt.
Black & Decker now owns Porter Cable and Delta? Not totally sure about that, could be in having not checked and otherwise missed that, but at least I do believe they locally to me now share service center buildings which could say a lot or nothing.

Yeah a little research has turned up this about Black and Decker. They own: Porter Cable, Dewalt, Delta, Kwikset, Baldwin (hardware not pianos), Weiser Lock, Price Pfister, Emhart Technologies (Pop Rivet, Gripco, NPR, Tucker, Warren, Heli Coil, Dodge... all fastener products), K2 Commercial Hardware, Oldham Saw, and DeVilbiss Air Power. They also have a "cooperative arrangement" with Hitachi power tools (whatever that means).

Also from what I can tell, Dewalt was created by Black and Decker in 1992 to be their industrial line of tools. There apparently was no buy out... Dewalt has always been a division of B&D.

Milwaukee has gum too!

Derek, I do prefer Union Connector, but I'm a DeWalt guy, sorry. :snooty: After seeing my 12v DeWalt kick the end of several other brands for years on high school stage crew, I'm pretty convinced.

Last edited:
Just want to point out that most high schools don't use drills enough to be worth the extra money for Makita. They have a habit of getting dropped from high places, left out, or allowed to walk away to easily. Even though I ran a pretty tight ship with a good crew I still lost one drill to theft or accidental death every year. My feeling was it was better to buy Black and Deckers and have the budget available to replace the damaged ones... there's a B&D factory outlet not far from school so I could get 12volt firestorms for $30-$40 each depending on the sale. Also a typical high school shop doesn't put much more use into their drills than a typical home... nowhere near the use that a pro theater shop does. Thus I advise high school shops to buy B&D... college and pro should look at Dewalt and Makita.

Last edited:
Gafftaper

The high school owned B&D 14.4v and 18v Firestorms and and Ryobi 18v's. They did not cut it for the heavy building. However, a bunch of us owned our own DeWalts and would bring them to use them. Let me see if I can find some pictures of all the stuff we would build for our shows. Four years of high school and I think we lost one drill, a B&D. That was my TD's philosophy as well, don't buy high-grade for a high school, although she herself did own many a DeWalt. No, what we would kill every year was a jig-saw. That's why we bought economy brands of those. I think we also killed a miter saw in my four years, but not a cordless drill.

My college actually has a few DeWalts and mostly Milwaukee's, but hey it is in Milwakee.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing with you here Gaff-brother... Let me just repeat one key phrase that I said, a "TYPICAL High School" theater program. The vast majority of High School theater programs take the same 15 flats out of storage, screw them together with a door frame or two and paint. A complicated set means reassmbleing the same 5 platforms in a new configuration. The once every three year musical might get steps. Most high school drama is run by an English teacher who got sucked into drama because he/she likes Shakespeare... zero knowledge of tech. Just like most high school programs wouldn't know what to do with a gel scroller if they tripped over it, there is very little good set construction going on out there. I think there are 10 high schools here in Seattle. One has a top of the line theater program tech wise, 2 do ok, the rest have little to no program at all.

Consider yourself lucky.

Moved thread from "The Punching Bag" to "Carpentry" as it contains some valuable information I don't want to see deleted after two days of non-activity.

As I remember it, Dewalt has been around for Years, much longer than '92. The way the story was told to me was that Dewalt operated a lot like Shelby did with Ford, they were both Cobras but one was a lot better.
Dewalt, originally started out as a repair / maintenance outlet for B&D, Later,however,they started to "upgrade" parts. For the longest time Dewalt was the only brand you could find with "real" <metal> gears in the transmission. They were taking the homeowner grade tools and turning them into contractor tools. Unfortunately, now days, Contractor Grade, is just another marketing point and much less a real comment on quality of tool.

p.s. My favorite screw gun is the one that is charged and ready to use when I need it. I have all Dewalt 14.4 XRPs in the shop right now but I've use almost all of them. I do like the Panasonic, Light, powerful, ergonomic.

PPS
Take what I said above, and add this to it http://www.dewalt.com/us/service/company/history.asp
Keeping in mind that B&D want to sort of retain their anonimity of ownership in the story.

Last edited:
My high school was strictly Makita, my old staff TD got great deals on them. He owns enough to supply a small army, and brings them in for us to use. He just got a couple Li-ions too, and though he doesn't let students use them (understandably) he says they're as dependable as the rest of his makita products, most of which I used personally and loved. (Great color, too! So there!)

On the other hand my college is straight DeWalt, and right now I'm in a constant feud with my sister with Makita - Dewalt. (I'm still calling Makita.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back