dichroic filters

joshua

I'm looking to replace a bunch of R68 in my rep plot with dichroic glass. The thought is that it'll never burn out (at least as long as I care) and that over time I'll save money on the cost of color and labor to replace it. Here's my question. R68 has a transmission of 14% but on the Rosco website, the dichroic version has a transmission of 39%. Not to mention that the curves look totally different. What are your all's thoughts on dichroic manufacturers?

Thanks

Get a sample and see for yourself.

Colors are almost never an exact match even between batches of the same product.

I have transitioned to dichroic glass and it is great. They also make a colored glass that works well. You can get samples of both. The reason why the transmissions are different are due to the way dichroic glass works compared to gel and colored glass. Dichroic glass reflects all wavelengths of light except for the color that is designed to go through it. Gel and colored glass absorbs all wavelengths except for the one that passes through it thus the term color filter. Dichroic will give you a very accurate color for many years. I have seen colored glass start to fade over a period of 5 years. Though colored glass is much cheaper than dichroic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back