Did I get a good deal?

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
Two used Altman Par 56 for $50 shipped.
One has a gel frame that is coming away from the fixture(10 minute fix) and one needs a lamp.
Otherwise they are in great condition.
-
Opinions?

One has a gel frame that is coming away from the fixture(10 minute fix) and one needs a lamp.
-
Opinions?

Steel or Aluminum?

Honestly, not terrible, but not great, considering that the fixture has damage.

Do they come with lamps? That's usually 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a PAR.

--Sean

The black steel ones that list for $99.50 each.
The gel frame will require a clamp, hammer and some JB Weld.
-
I doubt a lamp will be a problem.
-
Since I have a ton of free time right now, refinishing/cleaning will not be a struggle.
-

Last edited:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Like Sean said, not a bad deal although you are going to pay another $40-$50 for the lamps.

Panic!!!!
My avatar, a post and the pictures have vanished.
--
Now they're back, what the??????

A "deal" is only as valuable in reference to how much use you will get out of them.

Are they going to sit on your shelf, (or speaker) and not get used except for once in a blue moon? Then probably not. Are you going to use them all the time and make good use out of them (i.e. they will make you money by renting them out, etc) then absolutley....

A "Deal" is always relative....

The black steel ones that list for $99.50 each.
The gel frame will require a clamp, hammer and some JB Weld.
-
I doubt a lamp will be a problem.
-
Since I have a ton of free time right now, refinishing/cleaning will not be a struggle.
-

Remember that "list price" is really just that.

PAR-64's (Steel) really cost around $50-70 new, with colorframe.

I've never had reason to shop for PAR-56s, but they should be about the same, if not cheaper than the 64s. The lamps, however, are pricey.

Did the bases come with the lights? If so, they're probably the best part of the deal.

--Sean

Probably most of their life will be rental or trade shows.
(once we start doing them here)

-
Opinions?

My advice:

Never examine whether you got a good deal after you buy something used.

Did it make you happy at the time you paid for it?

Leave it at that.

;)

ST

Well, those connectors pictured retail for about $15 each, so there's about $30 worth right there!

With plugs a write off. With gel frame - assumed. This even given its using a standard 7.1/2" frame and is not difficult to get. Without lamp... not so sure if without lamp and gel frame if considered the same fixture and the same price as one with the "used lamp" and gel frame plus plug. Assume there is no clamp coming with.

For $50.00 in a huge grey area for used gear on such fixtures, especially steel ones where the aluminum ones or even architectural ones would tend to mudy the watters is a large question. Perhaps with lamp and gel frame, and not in need of repair. Considering one with all in need, go for $20.00 and you should get it.

JB weld to do the repair? It should be a spot weld. Simple couple of rivets should solve the problem with much less work. $50.00 for a lamp... wouldn't even pay that for a AlumiPar lamp. Plugs are bonus but not really counted for used gear I would think persay. Gel frame on the other hand is a very specific deduction. What it will cost you - not the supplier to furnish this necessary item should be deducted from the price. This as with labor and parts for repair. As for lamp, you can deduct that also.

One fixture given a declaired $50.00 price - I would go for more in the range of $35.00 given the market on the good fixture with lamp plug not accounted for but overall find it perhaps a fair price and given that price $25.00 for the second after deductions for labor, parts and replacements.

The $50 included shipping from Maryland.
-
I wish I had a basic Arc Welder at the house.
-
Could I use a pop rivet gun and fasteners?

Please send me your resume after you graduate from college, or when you are looking for a summer internship. I hope you are going for an engineering degree, with a minor in theatre!

I would like to hire you, since you appear to have the "survivor" instinct of making things work.

Yes, pop rivets will work. JB weld will be merely cosmetic--leave it off.

Steve Terry

$50.00 including shipping... that changes the game in that costing at least $6.00 if not more each. Shipping included is good as long as you get tracking numbers. Sometimes good deals get lost and get problematic in getting refunds.
Wow, so that is what you look like, I had this image from the Simpsons of you based on past posts.

Plugs are a write off. Installed or not, matching what you need or not, style and wired well - all something you likely will have to re-do anyway unless guarenteed that say for $15.00 off list price of the fixture it is done to your specifications of quality in not trusting what is done and having to at least inspect. Say $5.00 for it Given its seemingly a quality Pass & Seymore plug, $10.00 in value might be worth them.

Lamps included for me are a sort of wash in being useful to pay for. Is it the correct voltage and wattage? Is it the correct beam spread? And as a used lamp can you depend on how many hours it has been in use at best above in matching your needs? Say another $5.00 for it and perhaps even go for 20 hours of use guarantee if possible. More or less, if it works a week all is good, if not a week you should get another lamp or another $5.00 off the price.

With clamp is say $15.00 in value but in not listed is not a bonus.

Condition of the fixture... The one without problems is dependant on market value for a fixture without any needs by you to fix it. If $50.00 is the going value for a steel PAR 56, this given the amount of architectural and rock and roll fixtures out there also at times selling for $25.00 for at least a PAR 64 with lamp, the market is very grey in me valuing a steel can more so than a aluminum one. Again, I would value a steel can more so than a aluminum say American DJ one with thin materials that tend to widen out and expand in ripping itself apart in a way that is not repairable.

Often however steel cans won’t value as high as aluminum ones given the amount of DJ’s looking for gear out there are looking for what is standard and light - our advantage in what will last longer.

Clamps on the other hand are in general worth new for like $15.00 each if included as bonus in resale. Given the photo shows some microphone stands, I would value them at like $25.00 each in being better than the typical plywood base at like $3.00 and useful otherwise for other things such as a microphone stand base. This even up to like $30 or $40.00 in value if the cans come with such a base. Just made big change in overall value even if not useful for now. Could resell the bases for at least part of the fixture price given the bases.

On the other hand, fixtures that require a necessary repair due to a popped arc weld are devalued. J.B. Weld might or might not work dependant upon condition of materials and clamping. I would tend to just steel shaft/steel rivet the broken weld this perhaps if supplemented by epoxy if I wanted a better bond still. But for doing so I would devalue the fixture for labor and materials. As with the above, cannot charge the same price if it needs work. Say at least a $15.00 repair if not a $25.00 one.

Overall, the fixtures are probably good ones to get, $50.00 nominally is good for one in good condition with a “used” lamp. For the second one, that’s about $15.00 less in need to fix due to labor verses value. Without gel frame as something that normally comes with such a fixture, go for like $10.00 off in balancing dealer cost for with list price for and you can probably get a gel frame for that. Or direct deduct the price of the gel frame from the price of the can at your own cost. Either the fixture is supplied with one at $50.00 or not and that gel frame cost is deducted.

With or without lamp who cares, not really a lamp to depend on. Without say $5.00 deduction. With plug, perhaps the above but really only like $5.00 in value for it given you could do so also and need to check the install anyway. Could be benevolent in it being a commercial grade plug at like $10.00 in value overall on the fixture. On the fixture base/microphone base - totally worth it for either fixture in need of work or not at that price. Even if not useful to you, it is a better base type that might need part/s work but in cost in general for what it is is worth it.

The fixture say one good at $50.00 with lamp, plug and not accounting for the base is perhaps worth it if not a decent price. The as considered fixture in need of at least an hours work, buying a lamp immediately and very specifically buying a gel frame as immediate cost settles perhaps at it’s lowest value even if easy fix. This is perhaps about $35.00 to more likely in negotiating about $25.00. I consider if two, one in good shape, the other needing a lot, otherwise mix and match both in price. Don’t discuss the value of the weighted base at all - thrown in without factor in cost but a lot of leverage on the sellers place for what you might pay. This is based upon pricing with out the lamp base at all and hoped overall fixture price also is not in getting a good deal. If based on weighted base, get a few bucks off at least sufficient to buy a gel frame and go with it in I think getting a good or decent deal.

Hope it helps. $50.00 for both if with base and plug is not bad I would think in you getting a lot more value than expected or possibly considered. Without weighted base, ok for the first but a bit over priced for the second - I would shoot for $35.00 for it. Don’t care much about lamps as a write off unless warranted for at least 20 hours or plugs - this even if a decent plug. $5.00 value perhaps for each overall negotiable if necessary in just cutting the plug off to make the sale. That missing gel frame is the main thing to fight in either coming with or being deducted from the bill. That is a normal thing to come with the fixture.

Good luck, have fun and perhaps it’s a chance on your part to try the Osram AlumaPAR lamp... Decent concept in a lamp though I will probably never buy them other than for resale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back