Conventional Fixtures Diffusion or Color Media--Which goes first?

In which order should plastic color media and diffusion be ideally placed?

• Total voters
I always know what color is in every unit in my plot.

We were taught to always put the diffusion closest to the source.

Mike

Multiple gels

When putting multiple gels on a fixture do you place all of them in the same color frame? When running color and diffusion do you put them together? Do you make a point of putting the gel or the frost closer to the lamp?

-David

Re: Multiple gels

You can do it either way, with the 2 colors sandwiched together there is a chance the colors will bleed together though. I was taught that diffusion should always be furthest from the lamp, textured side facing out. I've seen others insist that it be close to the lamp too. Lighting is art so do whatever you think looks better as long as it's safe.

2 gels in the same frame can lead to them melting together into a mess.

The theory goes that you should put the diffusion closer to the lamp. The diffusion might extend the life of the colored gel by reducing any hot spots. Also, the color is more easily identified and inspected visually for fading if it is not hidden behind the diffusion. I am sure there is a long thread somewhere on this forum and possibly a poll. I found this one using the search function and I am sure derekleffew will find more.

Last edited:

I haven't seen this proven, but I have learned/been told that if the gel is put closer to the source, then it will melt first and ruin your diffusion, if you planned on using it (the gel or diffusion) again. Being at high school/middle school/community theaters where gel is generally reused, this stands to reason just to be safe, regardless of whether it is true or not.

Well, in my experiences with Source 4 PARs, ERS's, Altman Fresnels and various cyc lights, either diffusion then color media, or vice versa, leads to color bleed on the diffusion, particularly in medium to heavy saturations. This also holds true for melting, however I've only witnessed melting on cyc lights in occasions where either the color media or diffusion was kinked, bent, creased, bubbled or any variation other than smooth.

The best way to prevent bleed is to place diffusion in one frame and color in another. Obviously, this is totally dependent upon instrument choice and color frame availability. IF two slots are available, placing the diffusion in the near slot can be slightly advantageous if color is being changed between scenes or shows but the diffusion is not.

AS far as I'm concerned, I'll do whatever the LD tells me to do. If it's my own personal call, I'll like place diffusion first, however, I'd rather all frames be placed the same way, much the same as I like to have all my clamps facing the same way, as it makes life a tiny bit easier.

Placing either heat shield or diffusion in a light is only going to improve the life of your color gel if it's in a separate frame with an air space between it and the next gel. This is needed to dump the heat generated by the wavelengths of light that are not able to pass through the filter medium. If both gels share the same frame, the effect is going to be pretty negligible because there is very little or no air space.

As far as gels melting together around their labeling, the only times I encounter this is when black grease pencil or Sharpie is used, or with VERY saturated colors.

I was always told if there was no heat shield to put the diffusion in first so you won't lose the color correction as quickly. But on the small sets and videos I've worked, they swap out gels like it was toilet paper. So I wouldn't really notice anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back