Mixers/Consoles Digital Mixers

It has been repeatedly proven that there is no audible difference between 48 kHz and 96 kHz sampling rates. None. And that's in a carefully controlled listening environment with high end audio equipment. Anyone that hears the difference in a sound re-enforcement system is simply deluding themselves. The M32 probably has some refinements that make it better than the X32, but the higher sampling rate is simply great marketing.
Unless you're using IEMs, in which case the potentially lower latency may be desirable.

Hello all!
I am pretty new to CB I've been reading a bunch on the threads but haven't posted yet, anywho..
a local theatre venue that I have been working with for a few years is starting to look into purchasing a new digital mixing console. We currently have an ov1 96v and A: its not big enough for some of the shows we are beginning to get into; B: its starting to have issues not storing cues or recording them faders getting mis-aligned (yes it has the current firmware) C: its not user friendly enough for some of the people who come in for other shows.

I would love to hear an opinion on what you think we should get... we are looking to spend 10k or less at least 32 analog inputs, and digital expansion as we have 16 a/d inputs as well. I would prefer to have 32 faders to work with as switching layers back and forth can be confusing for some of our tech's.

I rather enjoy the Yamaha LS9 32 I've used it on a number of shows with great ease and am leaning towards that and i will say one of the biggest reasons is if for any reason something happens to it i have my show on my flashdrive and can get another mixer from 5 other companies in town in a matter of hours usually. However I am open to be persuaded or enlightened on other consoles.

Thanks,
Damien

If you can find good pricing and you want expansion beyond 32 mic pre's, I would look at the A&H GLD112 or GLD80. If those are still out of price point, the X32 is certainly a good console for the money and imo better than the other options at that price point.

In regards to M32 vs X32, I would wait until the M32 comes out. Granted, it will be a new desk, though the software is, I guess the word would be mature. I've done a few shows on the X32, but ours keeps going back for fader replacements. I lost 3 in the middle of a 2 week run of Putnam County Spelling Bee. The M32 looks worth it just to get the Pro series faders. The better pres are just a bonus. And for the record, I spent most of summer gigging with a Pro2. Never had a fader die on me.

Alternatively, with Yamaha pushing people to buy the CL series, you might find a used M7 for your price range (32 input, maybe a deal on a 48 input), but that desk is on its way out. I don't care what the audiophiles say, I still think Yamaha is a great desk for what it is, especially monitors on an M7 or 5D. The entire lineup is a standard in the industry, and everyone knows how to run one. Plus, like you said, they're easy to rent if one takes a dive. The LS9 is borderline OK for theatre. It's fine for small shows, but the lack of VCAs really puts a crimp on what it can do.

As an aside, personally I can't stand the Si crap. I spent an evening on it once. Spent the whole time cursing its existence. I'd rather have an LS9.

What kind of shows are you going to be doing? For a theatre, I'd keep my options open in terms of future expansion

I've done a few shows on the X32, but ours keeps going back for fader replacements. I lost 3 in the middle of a 2 week run of Putnam County Spelling Bee.
Is yours an earlier production model? Behringer apparently had some probblems with a batch of faders that supposedly was corrected on later units.

Alternatively, with Yamaha pushing people to buy the CL series, you might find a used M7 for your price range (32 input, maybe a deal on a 48 input), but that desk is on its way out. I don't care what the audiophiles say, I still think Yamaha is a great desk for what it is, especially monitors on an M7 or 5D. The entire lineup is a standard in the industry, and everyone knows how to run one. Plus, like you said, they're easy to rent if one takes a dive. The LS9 is borderline OK for theatre. It's fine for small shows, but the lack of VCAs really puts a crimp on what it can do.
Yamaha just introduced the QL series (QL Series | Mixers | Products |
Yamaha
) which many are assuming will replace the M7CL and perhaps LS9. The QL series feature integrated Dugan automixing and Dante connectivity as well as 16 DCA groups, 8 mute groups, 300 Scene memories, electronic scribble strips and channel color coding. Availability is supposedly early next month and the MSRP is $8,499 for the QL1 (16 onboard mic/line inputs, 8 onboard outputs, 18 faders and up to 32 mono + 8 stereo inputs) and $16,499 for the QL5 (32 onboard mic/line inputs, 16 onboard outputs, 34 faders and up to 64 mono + 8 stereo inputs).

People are hoping Yamaha comes out with some more cost effective I/O boxes to go with the QL Series as the current R Series or Rio I/O boxes are more expensive than most of the QL Series potential competitors' remote I/O boxes.

Reactions: Ric
Due apologies for the slight thread detour...

Muse, that X32 was indeed an early one. It had a few other oddities, something about the EQ controls not working right. The boss was having trouble getting spare parts. It got sent in for repair a few times, but then would break again a few weeks later. Let's just say we're taking a serious look at the Midas offering with better customer service (hopefully), and a better-built desk.

I saw the brochue last night for the QL stuff before Yamaha yanked it. I have to say, I'm really interested in them. And yeah, price puts it right between the LS9 and M7. Plus it can share a Rio box with the CL5. Too bad the Rios are going for $6.5 - 7k. I would love to get my hands on one, only most guys I know up here are fiercely anti-Yamaha, or have invested in multiple Pro2 systems. I'd much rather mix theatre on a Yamaha than the Pro2.

I just got to play on the QL5 on Wednesday, I had a manufacture's rep bring it out....

Its quite powerful, and much more appealing than the LS9. Has 32 mic pre's and 16 outs, and can attach via Dante to a Rio to expand to 64 channels. the U/I is very similar to the CL5, the biggest change is that you lose a lot of the dedicated channel strip adjustment knobs and such, but I didn't find it too limiting.

One nice thing is that you can connect it direct to a CL5 and share the mic pre's, essentially allowing you to forgo a Rio, if you need less than 32 channels of course. Its pretty much a cheaper copy of the CL, but it still maintains a lot of the nice features that the CL brought.

I am seriously considering getting one... soon as I can sell the LS9....

SoundGuySPI - As far as the Soundcraft vs. Behringer consoles, I would recommend the X32 for your use. I have the SI Compact 32 (the predecessor to the Performer series, basically the same console) and have used the X32 quite a bit, including a 6 week tour last summer. I had the opportunity to sell my SI Compact just before the X32 was becoming popular and buy the Behringer and put my in my pocket. I don't regret keeping the Soundcraft but the X32 does have a few features that would be great to have in the SI Compact. I did do a brief shootout between the two consoles (SM58 with a Y cable going to both consoles) and the Soundcraft sounded slightly better. The X32 was a little bit harsher in the upper mids, although not enough to be the determining factor in console selection. Good luck with it and let us know if you have questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back