Digital Recording w/ Wireless mics..

Another very.. Odd question

Not sure why my music department cordinator would like to know but here it goes:

The idea was brought up at a department meeting to use our digital recording studio with our set of wireless mic's..

I tried making the point that why would we want to do such a thing? We would not get a quality recording with these mics since they were designed to be used for speaking and all that jazz...

Some people in my department can't get the point across in their heads and why would we want to do such a thing???

Please reassure me on this so I don't look like a fool going into our next department meeting.

I am about 99% sure I'm correct. but please back me up on this...

Haha.. Non, technical minds at work doing no good...

Oobleck1441

I've never heard of anyone using wireless mics in use of a recording. I would really try to steer them away from that idea. I imagine the audio quality would be severely decreased. Wireless mics are tailored for live sound :)

It really depends on what you are trying to do. It is incorrect to make a broad statement that wireless mics are only for live sound, there are many tv programs etc where wireless mics are used for the sound capture.

All things being equal, you will typically get better quality via wired vs wireless, but the main reason to go wireless is basically to untether the mic.

I would agree that to simply use the wireless mics on stands instead of wired mics on stands probably makes little sense unless cabling is an issue.

Sharyn

You are all ignoring the fact that the capsules on these wireless transmitters are probably dynamic. If you are trying to capture a room recording you really need a condenser.
There are many relatively inexpensive options. I have two AKG C-1000S just for this purpose.

You are all ignoring the fact that the capsules on these wireless transmitters are probably dynamic. If you are trying to capture a room recording you really need a condenser.

Where does it say we are trying to capture a room recording? There are a million things that the OP could be trying to accomplish.

Unless you are looking to get a cheap sounding recording, there is no reason to use wireless. If you are looking to go cheap, save some money and go to radio shack and pick up some microphones and save yourself some money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back