Digital to Digital Audio interface

sww1235

Hello all

I have a question about digital audio interfaces. I am thinking about purchasing a LS9 16. I also have a 16 channel usb audio interface running audio in and out of a mac mini. I noticed that I can buy a digital card for the console that will let me send adat or the like directly into it, without passing through an analog stage first.

My question is, is there a interface that will let me go from usb to adat or another digital audio format directly without passing through an analog stage first.

Thank you

-Stephen-

Why the LS9? There are a ton of other (IMO, more relevant) options out there that interface much easier with recording rigs. But to (kind of) answer your question, there are a ton of ADAT interfaces on the market. What you buy is completely dependent on your channel count (16 max?), requirements, and budget. I've used the Profire Lightbridge, but the RME Fireface is a really nice unit as well.

Stephen, What interface do you currently have? How many channels from the computer are wanting to send? And; are you looking for the interface to provide any additional analogue I/O to the LS9-16, which can handle 32 channels?

I personally have an M-Audio Profire 2626, and have used it an LS9-32 to provided additional I/O for a show via ADAT.

Does the LS9 have FireWire capabilities? Never used it myself but I've read about it being used. Most Macs come with a built in FireWire port.

Were it me, I wouldn't be buying an LS9, but if I were, I'd buy a Dante card and just plug an ethernet cable into my preferred flavour of computer and install DVS and voila - 16x 16 channels given a Yamaha MY card...

It is my suspicion that unlike firewire or ADT, ethernet is likely to be slower to become obsolete and unsupported...

Thanks for the feedback, I just used the ls9 as an example digital console. I just want to get 6 channels of audio into and out of a mac mini, with no AD/DA conversion. I have only used the LS9 and know about the digital input cards so that was my idea, but if you have any sugestions for rackmoutable consoles that will make this easier, i am open to suggestions.

I do not need any other analog inputs

Last edited:
If you don't mind Behringer, check out the X32-Rack or X32-core. Rack mounted consoles, with a built-in 32x32 USB audio interface. Doesn't get much simpler than that!

I want to run audio into and out of skype, teamspeak, and mumble, on seperate channels on teh mixer, so I am going to route the audio internally using soundflower

It would not let me edit my previous post, so here is an addition. I want to have the audio from those programs going into a digital console that is an equivelent size to the LS9-16.

Right. It has both.
That seems to depend on which product you buy.
The X32-Rack for example shows only a USB connection, while some of the other versions show both.
The important thing is that the OP doesn't have to use the TB connection on the Mac Mini if he doesn't want.

In looking into this further, it's not entirely clear whether any of them come with FW connections anymore. Much of the literature says that the X32 line ship with the X-USB card installed.

Last edited:
So what I am hearing is that I should just get a mixer that has a digital audio interface built in. I would prefer not to be locked into a particular mixer. So if I can change my question slightly, is there any audio interface that will go from a usb or other computer interface to a digital audio interface. That way I can go to any digital console I want, or even to a DA converter if I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back