Digital to Digital Audio interface

is there any audio interface that will go from a usb or other computer interface to a digital audio interface.
I'm not clear on the question. Are you asking if there are USB audio interfaces out there? Yes, of course. There are hundreds, and most have some sort of digital audio connection as well as Analogue. Typical digital audio connections are s/pdif and ADAT. Some also have AES/EBU.
But why waste money on a digital interface for your computer when most mixers have the ability to have Dante or Ethersound interfaces which require no interface other than a Ethernet on your computer. That is of course if you're not going the Behringer or 01V96i route.

I'm not clear on the question. Are you asking if there are USB audio interfaces out there? Yes, of course. There are hundreds, and most have some sort of digital audio connection as well as Analogue. Typical digital audio connections are s/pdif and ADAT. Some also have AES/EBU.
But why waste money on a digital interface for your computer when most mixers have the ability to have Dante or Ethersound interfaces which require no interface other than a Ethernet on your computer. That is of course if you're not going the Behringer or 01V96i route.

Are those layer 1 protocols or layer 2 protocols, meaning can I run them through an ethernet switch

Cool, I will probably use dante. I will have to test this further before I make a final decision.

Just in case this does not work, as I need to use the ethernet connection for internet access as well, does anyone know of an audio interface that goes from USB to some digital audio protocol with no analog audio inputs or outputs.

Why does it matter if the interface also has analog ins/outs?
There's thousands of interfaces.
How many channels are you looking for?
What's your budget?

I was looking at physical size more than anything, as 1 RU was the max i could fit in my rack. I did not want analog io as I did not need it

i was looking at physical space more than anything, I wanted something that was 1 RU or less. I also did not want analog io to reduce complexity and size. Also if I wanted the analog io, it would be to/from the mixer not the computer, which I do not think that most interfaces offer.

i was looking at physical space more than anything, I wanted something that was 1 RU or less. I also did not want analog io to reduce complexity and size. Also if I wanted the analog io, it would be to/from the mixer not the computer, which I do not think that most interfaces offer.

I think most of us can appreciate your desire to build a versatile and efficient rig, it's a good thing to aim for. I feel at that is worth stating however that at this point in time analogue I/O is still the most common interface there is. Yes, there are variation in analogue, but those are easy to adapt around. With digital you have AES (in a few forms) with XLR and Cat5e; SPDIF, ADAT, MADI over fiber; MADI via coax; and countless ethernet protocols. While some companies are being good about providing ways to adapt their desks to meet some of these formats, not one plays well with them all. Thus, I would urge you consider one of the many interfaces with optical AND analogue I/O. It really does not complicate things any more than say having to add an ADAT card to console, and once it's set your done. Plus, it will add versatility to your rig. Allowing you a fall back means of getting multiple tracks out of your computer should ADAT not be available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back