Digitally Native Concert

'thaniel

Premium Member
I just finished watching something entirely new in the music industry. Fortnite did a completely digital concert as a special event live in-game. The concert headlined an artist that goes by the moniker MarshMellow.

While this is not the first completely digital concert(Minecraft did an event called "Coalchella"), it is certainly the biggest with over 1.3 million people watching on YouTube and Twitch streams with even more in game. They used special effects and items that were never seen before in game.

They also put effort into the setup. While they could have just plopped the entire stage and crowd platform into the game when they needed it, they gradually brought equipment to the location in game over a period of a couple days. They built an actual stage with trussing, line arrays, lighting, and video walls.

It was clearly a time coded show. All of the visuals were synced to the music. They also used songs of several genres to appeal to a wider audience. While the first song was MarshMellow's alone, the other songs were by artists such as Bastille and Logic that featured MarshMellow.

It was also unique in the aspect that you could view it from any angle and could get as close as you want to the action. At one point, giant beach balls appeared and you could bounce them around. That's one aspect about digital concerts, in that you aren't limited by the limitations of the physical world. For instance, they turned off gravity for a bit and lowered it during the show. They had giant dancing holograms and at one point a hologram of MarshMellow started flying.

This could be a cool industry or sub industry. Completely virtual concerts that are live and that you might need to pay to gain access to. In Fortnite's case, they disabled the ability to eliminate opponents so everyone got to view the event.

While it was a one time event, you can watch a recording of it from the Twitch streamer DrLupo here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have a few opinions on this.

1) From a purely business perspective, virtual events within multiplayer gaming or virtual reality are potential cash cows. Fortnite’s userbase is exploding after the Marshmello gig, and that userbase is going to spend money on micro transactions. This is the equivalent of having a free concert that drives crazed fans towards your overpriced merch booth. Easy money. Did I mention the drastically lower overhead?

2) From an event hosting standpoint, it’s also brilliant. Virtual capacity trumps physical capacity, and comes with fewer hazards. No one crowding delay towers, no tragic failings of truss or preconstruction, no fixture failures or electrical issues. All of the problems are virtual, and easily dismissable when they occur.

3) From an entertainment perspective, it’s horrible. I’m not against advancement of technology. For a person with a disability, sensitive hearing, claustrophobia, etc, virtual events are answers to the questions they may be afraid to ask. But for normal event-goers, virtual events will likely never have the power or ambience that sways audiences, that physical venues and events will have. Unfortunately, with kids these days exclusively spending their time glued to computer monitors or iPhone screens, and not going to festivals, concerts, or theatre, the newer generations will have little to no inherent appreciation for physical events, and events like this just may trump festivals and concerts.

ANALOGY:
The show that got me into Technical Theatre was World of Color, at Disney’s California Adventure. I got the opportunity to watch that show for the first time, right after its first refurbishment, from the edge of the water. With fountains towering 120ft over me, brilliant projection and color, and vibrant FX, it was a jaw-dropping experience. Since then, I’ve seen modified versions, but only through YouTube. Now, these YouTube channels used 4K, decent audio, multiple camera angles, and great framing. But the power of World of Color, being a volumetric show, is lost through what is a replicated 3D space. Mind you, I can’t wander the waterfront under my own power like you can control an avatar in Fortnite, but I don’t imagine that moving around would have given me any additional “oomph” from the show.

Honest TL;DR: I didn’t enjoy it. As someone who has been to EDC, Coachella, and tons of other venues, this “Fortnite Festival” was the equivalent of me watching one of those giant venues on a cellphone.

I would be curious if ticket sales to MarshMellow's upcoming live events are stronger. I.E. does a successful virtual event not only drive people to a virtual merch booth, but also to real world ticket sales?

I would be curious if ticket sales to MarshMellow's upcoming live events are stronger. I.E. does a successful virtual event not only drive people to a virtual merch booth, but also to real world ticket sales?

I think it depends. The average age of a Fortnite player is quoted to be 12, although a good portion of the Fortnite demographic does exist between 18-24. That means only a portion of the audience is old enough to attend a Marshmello event since he usually plays festivals or venues with 21+ restrictions. So possibly not ticket sales; but music sales and merch sales? Absolutely.

1) From a purely business perspective, virtual events within multiplayer gaming or virtual reality are potential cash cows. Fortnite’s userbase is exploding after the Marshmello gig, and that userbase is going to spend money on micro transactions. This is the equivalent of having a free concert that drives crazed fans towards your overpriced merch booth. Easy money. Did I mention the drastically lower overhead?

2) From an event hosting standpoint, it’s also brilliant. Virtual capacity trumps physical capacity, and comes with fewer hazards. No one crowding delay towers, no tragic failings of truss or preconstruction, no fixture failures or electrical issues. All of the problems are virtual, and easily dismissable when they occur.

3) From an entertainment perspective, it’s horrible. I’m not against advancement of technology. For a person with a disability, sensitive hearing, claustrophobia, etc, virtual events are answers to the questions they may be afraid to ask. But for normal event-goers, virtual events will likely never have the power or ambience that sways audiences, that physical venues and events will have. Unfortunately, with kids these days exclusively spending their time glued to computer monitors or iPhone screens, and not going to festivals, concerts, or theatre, the newer generations will have little to no inherent appreciation for physical events, and events like this just may trump festivals and concerts.

ANALOGY:
The show that got me into Technical Theatre was World of Color, at Disney’s California Adventure. I got the opportunity to watch that show for the first time, right after its first refurbishment, from the edge of the water. With fountains towering 120ft over me, brilliant projection and color, and vibrant FX, it was a jaw-dropping experience. Since then, I’ve seen modified versions, but only through YouTube. Now, these YouTube channels used 4K, decent audio, multiple camera angles, and great framing. But the power of World of Color, being a volumetric show, is lost through what is a replicated 3D space. Mind you, I can’t wander the waterfront under my own power like you can control an avatar in Fortnite, but I don’t imagine that moving around would have given me any additional “oomph” from the show.

Honest TL;DR: I didn’t enjoy it. As someone who has been to EDC, Coachella, and tons of other venues, this “Fortnite Festival” was the equivalent of me watching one of those giant venues on a cellphone.
@NateTheRiddler I gather this mitigates chaining of fire exits as well.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

ANALOGY:

That's cool that WoC had that much of an impact on you.
I'm a total lover of Disneyland and know a bunch of lighting, sound, pyro and stage management people there and it's a fantastic place to hang out and creative place to work.
Super heartwarming and inspiring to all theatre people.

That's cool that WoC had that much of an impact on you.
I'm a total lover of Disneyland and know a bunch of lighting, sound, pyro and stage management people there and it's a fantastic place to hang out and creative place to work.
Super heartwarming and inspiring to all theatre people.

World of Color convinced me that I could turn a hobby/passion for making movers and lights dance to music into a career. I haven't looked back with regret since. I would kill to work at Disney again; there's something about working Entertainment there that was just different, and suited me well. :) World of Color was my dream show to work someday... someday even I wanted to program a new version of it myself...

The YouTube video originally linked doesn't appear to exist anymore. Here's an alternate video. Some interesting food for thought...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back