Dimmer/lamp Check

What if there was more than one instrument plugged into the channel and one lamp was bad? The LED would not show a problem, correct?

Implementing that would not be a simple proposition.
For a dimmer to work out if any load is being drawn is not too hard, but to work out if the "right" load is being drawn requires a fair bit more smarts. Not to mention having to "reteach" the pack every time you repatched...

To try to bring this thread back on topic...

CrazyTechie, what board are you using? The exact process will be different for each board, but the concepts will be similar. For instance, I'm doing a show right now that has 16 lights (ETC S4 & S4 Jrs), 6 color scrollers, and run from Leprecon 612 & 624 boards. These are old consoles set up one-to-one dimmer to channel. It's easy for this rig, as I just bring up one at a time and determine if the focus is correct.

I worked in WI at a theatre with about 125 conventionals using an ETC Express console with an RFU, and I'd glow the rig at something like 5% or 10%, which would let me see at a quick glance from onstage if all the lamps were lit and show any saturated color burn. Then, using either the Macro listed above or a dimmer check function, I'd go through each one and check focus and be a little more advanced on the color burn. Sometimes I'd bring up groups, for instance it was a theatre-in-the-round with 4 directions of "front light", to check that focus really was good and hadn't skewed off from full coverage.

Take it or leave it, another suggestion is to start about an hour and a half before curtain. That usually gives you an hour to check and fix what you can if something's gone wrong. Of course, your contract, stage manager, rig size, etc. will properly determine your call time, so take that suggestion as you will.

Cheers.

Steve Litterest, formerly of Ithaca College and now at Univ. of Delaware seemingly coined the phrase "Yankee Check".

Essentially all conventional channels to 25% in a Sneak of time 5 or so. I have no clue why it's called a Yankee Check.

This is the channel check I do and have it configured as a Macro. It tells me if all the lamps are working. I do this at hour, or immediately after arriving and opening/starting the console. I can either do it from the desk or the RRFU, or my aRFR app (all on the Ion). I have either another macro to release, or can do a Go To Cue Out.

I usually do not do a channel-by-channel check after the first time (well, I do one with the LD right before starting a cuing session), as in general, and as experience has taught me, with decent fixtures and good crew, the focus doesn't drift. I will check the focus on any unit that might get knocked by scenery, actors, dancers, or as practicals and deck units that get re-plugged or moved. As I get the console up I will also do a quick check to see if anything looks scrambled from the last use (odd cue list, different channel layout, etc...)

For ML's I will power up immediately as well, and then check lamps and movement from either the desk or the aRFR app. I can also run up the first cue that uses the ML's.

Start a 10:00 cue that brings every lamp slowly to 100%.
Next cue follows automatically and takes everything to 20%.
I step out on stage and look for any blown lamps.
Run the next cue that brings up the movers in their reference positions.

Mike

I use the macro template for a dimmer check that is in the Express. It works well. Especially if you have an RFU to start the macro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back