dimmer pack power

For stage use, all "extension cords" need to be Extra hard usage (Type SOOW). It doesn't really matter if you locate the dimmers at the wall or at the units, but do keep in mind that you will need to get control data to the dimmer pack wherever it is, which might influence your choices. Depending on the length of the run you might need to use larger gauge cable to combat voltage drop, which might mean that running longer cables from your lights to the dimmers is more cost effective, but it's hard to say without knowing more specifics.

Depending on your definition of 'best' and what assumptions we make all sorts of conclusions are possible.

It is cheaper and easier to run less cable. So one cable up to a dimmer pack and little or none to the lights is less work and material.

It is electrically safer and more efficient to run that extra copper. One short cable fully loaded (assuming a standard dimmer pack) will produce less heat to damage the cable and waste power. Several lightly loaded cables (assuming code mandated 12gu minimum and single fixtures) will sent the most power to the lights. But if the cable lengths are uneven then the lights are slightly uneven, depending on the cable, the load and the distances involved.

I have done several events this year with dimmer packs. Nothing fancy, just some basic Source Fours, and a few PAR64s to blind people.

I have used crappy elation dimmers, some step up Chauvet dimmers, and even some ATX Leprecon dimmers. I found it easier to circuit each dimmer set to an independent outlet (connected to it's own 20A breaker), which meant several extension cords run through our space. I kept the dimmers near the lights. Then I ran my DMX (or ATX) cable back to my control unit. There was A LOT of cable to be wrangled.

I am not a huge fan of the cable mess, but they all worked well. All I could ask for considering we're doing a huge upgrade this summer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back