Dimmer Rack Lock Replacement Key

JimP0771

Hi all

It has been a long time senseI have posted anything on here. I am looking for a replacement key for a Lee Colortran ENR 96 Dimmer rack. The dimmer rack I happen to have I got from an high school that was renovating there auditorium. The school could not find the key that goes with the rack. Now my question is are these keys universal? Or does each lock require a key individual to that lock on the rack. Like would the keys in this link work for my rack? https://goknight.com/colortran-enr-...I1_vykuPD6wIVR-DICh2QYAJZEAQYAyABEgJeyfD_BwEz It is not a big deal but it would be nice to have a replacement key.

Thanks

Hi all

It has been a long time since I have posted anything on here. I am looking for a replacement key for a Lee Colortran ENR 96 Dimmer rack. The dimmer rack I have came from a high school that was renovating their auditorium. The school could not find the key that goes with the rack.
My question is are these keys universal, or does each lock require a key individually cut for the lock on the rack? Would the keys in this link work for my rack? https://goknight.com/colortran-enr-...I1_vykuPD6wIVR-DICh2QYAJZEAQYAyABEgJeyfD_BwEz It is not a big deal but it would be nice to have a replacement key.

Thanks
Consider removing the hex nut holding the lock in place and take the lock to a real locksmith, not some kid who copies keys part time.
Any REAL locksmith should be able to help you, have a spare key cut while you're there.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
As Ron said, any locksmith could make a key. If you need to get into the cabinet because it's locked and you don't have a key, they could also pick the lock...or indeed most any amateur lockpicker could probably do likewise.

It would probably be cheaper to simply buy a new lock mechanism, which would come with new keys. Most likely it's a pretty standard cabinet lock/drawer lock/file lock (they seem to be sold under all those names) that can be had for $5-$10 easily.

Does the lock have any numbers on it? If it does take those numbers to the locksmith and they can cut a key from the numbers.
Regards
Geoff

I would have to check to see if there are any numbers on the lock. I am thinking that I may go ahead and order one set of these keys and just see what happens. They are so cheap that what does it matter if they do not work. Just cut my loss. The rack is not locked shut it is open I would like to get a key so I can lock it to keep unauthorized people out of it that is why I have been looking for keys for it for years for the rack

Most of these locks use the same key. When I worked in land-mobile communications the transceivers were physically locked to a mounting plate bolted into the trunk of a car or behind the seat of a truck or ambulance. GE, Motorola, RCA, Ericsson, Johnson, etc all used different locks but usually the same key across all of a manufacturer's models. Doors on repeater racks had a different key than mobiles. I carried a ring of about 16 keys that would open damn near every radio cabinet or mounting lock, and a surprising number of locks of non-communications stuff.

Fun fact. The same key that opens an ETC Sensor rack will get you into the fountain drink machine at a Subway and gas pumps everywhere. Also a lot of other places. You can even get t-shirts that say "CH751 - I'll let myself in".

Chances are, if you have a drawer somewhere with a bunch of random keys on it or you have a bunch of miscellaneous keys on your keyring, there's a good chance something will open that dimmer rack either because it's actually the same key or because it's close enough that it'll do the job.

More stuff on keys if you're a nerd:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also elevator hacking. Not relevant to the topic at hand but fun nonetheless. Also some stuff about keys in there as well.

This is why when I go on job sites I carry a keyring with the CH751, C415A, C254A, and a handful of other thermostat/fire alarm panel/etc keys as well as all of the common Middle Atlantic keys.

Last edited:
CH751 keys are also used for the majority of RV outside storage compartments. I guess that also means you can ask an RV owner to borrow their keys for a moment if you find yourself locked out of your ETC sensor dimmer rack and don't have a Subway or gas station next door.

The Chicago 2135 (IIRC) was the primary key for Motorola, but you'll find it in lots of places. The Ollam and Payne vids are a great place to start exploding the myth of security via "lock and key".

The Lock Picking Lawyer channel basically teaches you that no one is safe, and locks are more of an illusion than actual security. I love his videos though, but sometimes the speed at which a lock can be opened is....frightening.

Yeah theres a few good ones, but most people(read: people who install locks) don't know/don't care and so we end up woth most locks just being kinda iffy, for example, pretty much any IBM cash drawer uses the same lock, regardless of the store, they are less than a dollar on Amazon, and also can be picked with relative ease. Plus sooooo many key lock boxes use really bad cores, and I am sure I have seen some that use the CH751 key mentioned in the this thread.

Heres a reddit page with a list of a lot of common keys:

This one mentions a Ford fleet key, which apparently can open most police cars...

Heres another Deviant video if you are so inclined:

I know this is wayyy off topic, but I think it's a fascinating subject.

The Lock Picking Lawyer channel basically teaches you that no one is safe, and locks are more of an illusion than actual security. I love his videos though, but sometimes the speed at which a lock can be opened is....frightening.

Yeah theres a few good ones, but most people (read: people who install locks) don't know/don't care and so we end up with most locks just being kinda iffy, for example, pretty much any IBM cash drawer uses the same lock, regardless of the store, they are less than a dollar on Amazon, and also can be picked with relative ease. Plus sooooo many key lock boxes use really bad cores, and I am sure I have seen some that use the CH751 key mentioned in the this thread.

Heres a reddit page with a list of a lot of common keys:

This one mentions a Ford fleet key, which apparently can open most police cars...

Heres another Deviant video if you are so inclined:

I know this is wayyy off topic, but I think it's a fascinating subject.

How many times have you seen a $30.00 lock hung on a $1.00 hasp; you could cut the hasp in moments with any decent 7" or 8" pair of Klein diagonals.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

How many times have you seen a $30.00 lock hung on a $1.00 hasp; you could cut the hasp in moments with any decent 7" or 8" pair of Klein diagonals.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

or hit it with a hammer 😂😂😂

Yeah I have a set of all the electrical panel, fire alarm and general keys along with equipment keys (Case, John Deere, Skyjack, etc) which is INSANELY useful.
How many times I've gotten on site at a festival and went to use the rented equipment (usually telehandlers and boom lifts) and the person who has the key has gone off site. I just bought all the keys I'd expect to need and it's saved my butt a hundred times over.

Also how many times "oh I don't know where the key for the dimmer rack (etc) is, we've never needed it" has also happened. Also of course as I was an electrician trained to install and maintain fire alarm systems, those keys have also saved my butt a number of times. Thankfully don't get midnight service calls to fix fire alarms going off because some idiot plugged their sink in the hotel room and the water went though the floor and shorted the heat detector below calls anymore! Yay not being "that kind" of electrician anymore!
However I am sort of thinking about going back to it due to the Covid shutdown... But I DONT WANNA!!!!! 😭😭😭😭

Users who are viewing this thread

Back