Dimpled the Drop Drum

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
22ga lockable 10gal. Drum with some ½" vent holes drilled in & covered with micro hole screening so as to let over pressure out.

What’s used for and important to post about?

Had to dispose of a dozen new $860+ dollar XBO 3000w/HSLA xenon lamps for the long gone “Little Big Light” moving light fixture. Too many years in storage in taking up space & inventory accounting money for an obsolete lamp to a fixture no longer in service. Amongst other lamps to dispose of. I had so hoped such lamps could be used on a Lycian 1293 or 1295, but no.

How many lamps can we pack into the drum at a time??? Slow day at work... don’t know - certainly an exploded lamp calculation that can be done - but well above my knowledge. Let’s say six or eight at a time. Probably eight at a time was a little step too far... Literally see places where metal parts of the lamp almost got thru the drum or cracked it’s integrity. New drum - the latch mechanism was after years of dropping damaged anyway in needing to replace it.

Why or what are you doing with such a drop drum in exploding lamps? What’s the purpose of a drop drum?

Many/most large arc source lamps, xenon say follow spot or large globe say black light and shop light globes have a globe which is pressurized even if cool with over pressure.

Can either explode them “some say they go off when broken, with the concussion of a grenade”, what ever the case I have had some large globe black lights explode on my work table by accident, even tried a 2Kw xenon lamp w/o a sealed canister for drop test into it. In both cases, glass went everywhere in a large radius.

Drop drum so as to explode the disposed of lamp is for safety. In properly disposing of xenon or large outer globe metal halide lamps, you should be exploding them before putting them into the disposal drum. I do a 55gal. Drum for such lamps. Metal Halide lamps have mercury and other bad chemicals, xenon say follow spot lamps have mostly safe noble gasses, but there is radio active isotopes doped into the cathode/anode, so proper disposal is with the normal arc source lamps. Most moving light lamps don’t need to be pre-exploded even if outer globe, just those with large outer globe.

That’s a safety thing in not wanting something to explode in you not doing it for disposal. Read your lamp’s manual for proper disposal and cautions. This is important to look into as part of proper disposal. Read every lamp you use manual (provided) for it's use and proper disposal for it. Especially in the case of a followspot lamp - comply or you might injure someone should it explode. In my case, the drop drum, it's been teen years or so of dropping it and exploding lamps. Well paid off in time to replace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back